Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
discrimination against a 1989 Excella

I was trying to get a 2-month reservation at an RV park in Portland Oregon, and all was fine until the woman asked the age of my RV -- I told her it was a 1989 Airstream Excella, and she informed me that she couldn't give me a slot for 2 months. I asked why, she said 1993 rigs or newer. I asked why, she said because of appearance. Now I'm an anal-retentive full-time RVer, and I take great pride in the appearance of my RV -- and I've seen 1993 or newer rigs that look like crap -- so I was highly offended at this. She said she could put me up for a week, but not 2 months. I then argued with her and got her to concede that I could send a photo of my RV and she would decide if it were "acceptable" for their park. I'm still waiting to hear from her.

My question is, how is this legal??? If I wanted a hotel room, behaved properly, and paid for it, they couldn't turn me away because I was wearing outdated fashions or my car or suitcase looked too old. If I wanted to buy a house or rent an apartment, I can't be discriminated against because of my age or gender or race -- so how can a policy like this stand up in court? Has anyone else had an experience where they've fought this -- or does anyone know of a legal precedent? Calling all attorneys! Thanks!
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here are a few related threads you might find interesting...sometimes Airstreams are the exception to this sort of rule if it's handled well by the park owners...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ion-36272.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...igs-37407.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tion-8713.html

Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, at any time, for any reason".
If the above is posted at their place of business, it's pretty hard to get a private park owner to do something he doesn't want to.
The RV park we full-time in has a "ten year old" rule, obviously a 1974 is slightly older than ten years, but usually when you tell them it's an Airstream, they make an exception for you. Generally, Airstreams look newer, longer, than SOBs. We are parked next to a 2004 travel trailer that looks like crap, but falls within the "10 year" policy. They won't be forced to move it out until 2014. Usually when they ask me what year my trailer is, I tell them "It's an Airstream". They know 1- most Airstream owners are slightly anal about their trailers' appearance, and 2- the trailer looks better than most things on the property, no matter what year.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec View Post
I was trying to get a 2-month reservation at an RV park in Portland Oregon, and all was fine until the woman asked the age of my RV -- I told her it was a 1989 Airstream Excella, and she informed me that she couldn't give me a slot for 2 months. I asked why, she said 1993 rigs or newer. I asked why, she said because of appearance. Now I'm an anal-retentive full-time RVer, and I take great pride in the appearance of my RV -- and I've seen 1993 or newer rigs that look like crap -- so I was highly offended at this. She said she could put me up for a week, but not 2 months. I then argued with her and got her to concede that I could send a photo of my RV and she would decide if it were "acceptable" for their park. I'm still waiting to hear from her.

My question is, how is this legal??? If I wanted a hotel room, behaved properly, and paid for it, they couldn't turn me away because I was wearing outdated fashions or my car or suitcase looked too old. If I wanted to buy a house or rent an apartment, I can't be discriminated against because of my age or gender or race -- so how can a policy like this stand up in court? Has anyone else had an experience where they've fought this -- or does anyone know of a legal precedent? Calling all attorneys! Thanks!
rec,

Don't forget, they are not discriminating against you they are discriminating against your Airstream. Non discrimination statutes are for the protection of people and not possessions. Things, such as your Airstream, are not covered by non discrimination statutes, only people.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Someone on the forum said they had a 2007 Kit when asked the year of their trailer

Has anyone actually asked for the vehicle registration to determine the year when checking into an RV park?
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Join the movement: boycot 'em if they don't take tents
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:

There's a nice little RV park right in Hood River that would be glad to have you!!! It's only an hour to Portland, and the scenery here just can't be beat!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
i have the 2007 airstream upgrade kit too.

it always amuses me when you have to ring a buzzer into building you've never been in before and they ask 'who is it', you say 'it's me' and they let you in
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'd start telling any place who asked, "It's a '96 model." They couldn't tell the difference and I don't think it's any of their business.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

REC, I'm just 15 miles north of Portland. You can park in my yard if you'll mow for me! Power & grey water not a problem - may have to get creative for black, though. I've never owned a trailer newer than '80 so I'm not as persnickity as Portland. After all, their motto is "Keep Portland Weird," and it's working. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls View Post
REC, I'm just 15 miles north of Portland. You can park in my yard if you'll mow for me! Power & grey water not a problem - may have to get creative for black, though. I've never owned a trailer newer than '80 so I'm not as persnickity as Portland. After all, their motto is "Keep Portland Weird," and it's working. Darol
Well there ya go, Rec...can't beat that offer! Love the "motto" Darol...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Personally, I wouldn't give my business to any RV place (or any other thing for that matter...) that wouldn't let me stay because of the "age" of my trailer! If they are that weird it certainly isn't the kind of folks I want to be around! Just my two cents... Lots of other choices, I am sure!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It would make more sense if they didn't hang the "admission criteria" on age...it would be better and more accurate if their rule was "No RVs That Look Like a Piece of Crap"...that's really what they want to avoid. (And we've all seen them.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I just had a similar experience.....called an RV Park here in Colorado in my hometown. Wanted to go over the 4th of July weekend. When they heard what I have, the were suddenly full.....sigh
Old 06-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #15
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby

1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
It would make more sense if they didn't hang the "admission criteria" on age...it would be better and more accurate if their rule was "No RVs That Look Like a Piece of Crap"...that's really what they want to avoid. (And we've all seen them.)

That is sooo funny, yet sooo true! ! We are embarking on our first journey this winter with our 59 Tradewind, and so we'll see how many parks have THAT sign ! !
1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
Thanks for all the suggestions

Thanks for the info -- I think I'm going to have my husband call them back and lie and tell them it's a 96 to make the reservation
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Tell them it's a 2006...they won't even be able to tell the difference.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Reminds me of an experience recently- went into a small country store, asked to use the rest room, but noticed a sign on the door said " out of order" .
The person behind the counter saw me looking and said to go ahead - "it's only out of order for some people" ..
As for the last comment above- very true, most people think my 1980 is a " new one".
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thumbs down I resemble that remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
rec,

Don't forget, they are not discriminating against you they are discriminating against your Airstream. Non discrimination statutes are for the protection of people and not possessions. Things, such as your Airstream, are not covered by non discrimination statutes, only people.

Bill
Some would argue Airstreams are people too

There was a similar bruhaha with Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Streamers complained and they are now singing a different tune. Post their email address and in my hippy sense of righteous indignation I will send them my $.02.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
After reading your predicament my 1st thought was,"PHILLIPS SCREW THEM!"
I don't think I would want to give my money to a park that is run by people that don't have a clue about RVs makes and models especially AIRSTREAMs ! What planet have you been living on for the past 6 decades that you don't know about Airstreams! I'll just take my money down the road!"

Then. . .I sit back, take a breath and say. . what would make this Airstreamer want to go to all the trouble of sending them a picture and try to convence them that they are good enough for this PARK?

The answer. . .It's people like you that change prospective of the closed minded.
It's people like you that pave the way so that others my not have to endure the ridacule you have been through and for this I thank you. I learned a valuable lesson today.

Kani

Quote:

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote