Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Disappointment re KOA

We stayed at the Missoula, MT, KOA for three nights --- a pleasant RV Park, no questions about it. BUT, on the morning of our third day, a breeze (not a tornado, hurricane, etc.) came up, and a branch of the tree next to our AS detached from its tree, fell from approx. 30 ft, landed on the top of our AS, and put a significant dent in its roof. I walked around the RV Park and saw no other result from the wind, for example, it was not as if there were a lot of scattered tree branches on the ground --- our's appeared to be the only one.

We reported it to the KOA's office, who sent a staff member out to investigate. He confirmed the foregoing and asked us to get an estimate to repair the damage and send it to them. Upon returning home, we took the AS to our local AS dealer, who gave us a written repair estimate of a little over $3K, which we forwarded to the Missoula KOA with our request for reimbursement.

About a month later, we got a reply from the KOA's insurance agent: "The damage was caused by strong winds, which is an 'Act of God,' and thus not subject to KOA's insurance policy, so no reimbursement will be forthcoming."

Bottom line: Our three nights at the Missoula KOA cost us approx. $100 for our three-day stay and another $3K+ to repair the damage from KOA's tree. Grrrrrrr! This experience has soured our otherwise good feelings towards KOA, whose facilities we had frequently used up until our time at the Missoula KOA. I don't think we'll be renewing our KOA Card this year.

"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #2

Arlington Heights , Alabama
I would absolutely fight this. Get the Better Business Bureau involved if you have to, that usually gets their attention.

janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Sincere sympathy for your loss in this incident. The wounding of your shiny coach is sad and it can not have helped make your trip as great as it should have been.

Hoping insurance experts will chime in here and expand on the legal issue as I have none and hope to become informed.

It would seem that telling someone there is no check is in the mail sounds like the opening shot as opposed to the final buzzer. Your push back or that of your insurance company might move the case in another direction. What say your insurance provider as to coverage, legal info, and historic experience in similar situation?

Do you have photographic evidence of tree degradation? Any comments from the employee that indicate prior knowledge?

The other point is that insurance may be on a facility specific basis. There may be little if any legal connection to KOA as the local owner may be responsible for any liability. But there is a marketing/publicity connection. Have you contacted KOA corporate? Maybe after you understand the legal position.

Please keep the thread updated as there is significant value for others from your experience. Thanks for posting. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Same thing happened to me in a state park last fall. Decided not to fight that battle and used insurance. $4500. I'd probably fight a private park. They should be maintained and groomed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Falling debris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Same thing happened to me in a state park last fall. Decided not to fight that battle and used insurance. $4500. I'd probably fight a private park. They should be maintained and groomed.
Its a shame that it has to go on your insurance when the park is possibly in error (maybe not doing preventative maintenance). If the park is not liable, then at least inform the camper to sign off with that understanding, then you would be aware of the risk and option another campsite. Or is there fine print on registration stating that??
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Its a shame that it has to go on your insurance when the park is possibly in error (maybe not doing preventative maintenance). If the park is not liable, then at least inform the camper to sign off with that understanding, then you would be aware of the risk and option another campsite. Or is there fine print on registration stating that??
No, in my opinion, fighting the govt was way worse than using insurance. Vanishing deductible and they didn't raise rates since it was act of God.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
File a claim with your insurance company and let them battle with KOA.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
IMO, unless that limb was visibly dead and you have a KOA employee willing to testify they knew it was dead, its a lost cause to fight.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
A bit out of my comfort but if the condition was observable when you occupied would taking a few site pics and emailing to Corp office have helped?

Good luck.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
You have to wonder, what would KOA's insurance company say to someone that had a family member killed in a tent for the same branch falling? That threat is real, and I agree that you should fight them. Insurance adjusters are always going to try to refuse payout, however every insurance claim is some horrible form of negotiation and thus you have to stand your ground.

I would also suggest contacting your own insurance, as they also would rather force the other party to pay rather than payout themselves.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
A bit out of my comfort but if the condition was observable when you occupied would taking a few site pics and emailing to Corp office have helped?

Good luck.
Yeah, I took a lot of pics, after the incident and turned them over to ins. Left little doubt as to act of God. What they did for subrogation....I don't know or care.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Did your Insurance make you whole again ? If so then it's a done deal, move on.

If your out the deductible . You may ask KoA to reimburse your deductible as a measure of goodwill .
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Did your Insurance make you whole again ? If so then it's a done deal, move on.

If your out the deductible . You may ask KoA to reimburse your deductible as a measure of goodwill .
Not sure if you're asking me??? But, vanishing deduct had me a $100 out of pocket, but their estimate was just about $100 higher than JC estimate.....so it washed out.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Wonít your insurance cover it? We were hit by a coconut on the highway...donít ask...our insurance company covered it minus the deductible

ras.robshort is offline   Reply With Quote