Old 09-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Disappointing CG

During our travels, we have stayed at KOA CG as they are well appointed and easy to get to. This trip has thrown us a curve. This CG is unpleasant at best. Realizing it is a holiday weekend, there is no provision for those who are not here to turn children loose while parents sit and drink while listening to loud music. Am I getting old?
The quiet hours unobserved when the last speaker system was shut down at 11 pm! I did call the park office and someone did come out, the music continued. Kids on bikes everywhere, kids with soccer balls too close. At night the bikes and riders are invisible-no lights! My dogs are scared, I'm scared to walk at night. And did I mention the noise.
Have you encountered such a situation? What did you do?

QDPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Disappointing CG

I've stayed at a lot of KOA's too, and have been generally satisfied for the amount I've paid to stay there. However, they do have amenities to attract families with kids. Maybe parks without playgrounds, etc, would be more to your liking?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Definitely a bad experience! Not sure there's much you can/could do. Holidays and campgrounds seem to bring out the worst in people - many at campgrounds on holiday weekends seem to think "I've made my reservation, paid my money, I should be able to do whatever I want... he!! with the rules!"

State Parks, National Parks, Corp of Engineer, etc. are no less crowded but we seem to have fewer problems on holiday weekends at these establishments. Most of the time the government establishments have a little more space between sites and the "residents" seem to be a little more subdued. Our experience indicates private parks/campgrounds have historically been the worst offenders when it comes to abiding by the rules.

I bring earplugs so I can try to get some sleep when the noise goes on later than expected. This doesn't work for everyone but it helps in my opinion. Fortunately, we've never felt compelled to contact "management" but I can't say I haven't given it some thought when kids were running around after dark, dogs were barking and radios were blaring.

Try to avoid holiday weekends if possible and spend some time finding out of the way places. Better luck next time.
Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I try to stay away from campgrounds with "resort" in the name.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I stay away from anything with KOA in the name.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We tend to like Walmart better than KOA. Always something, last time near Yosemite they wouldn't honor our KOA discount pass for some flimsy reason, then stuck us in the tiniest, most difficult spot in the campground because we had the smallest rig in the campground, same price as the rest. Not friendly at all, probably didn't need to be as they were sold out most of the time.

I'm sure there are great KOA's, kind of depends on who's running it. We have found the facilities very clean at other KOA's we have stayed at.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I think KOAs are best visited when you have your own children or grandchildren, or you can borrow some. I don't have too much of a problem with KOA, I just go expecting there to be hoards of kids and noisy families and knowing that each site doesn't have a lot of room around it.

I did stay at a KOA where a man a few rows away from us had a very noisy motorcycle. He liked to start it up first thing in the morning and leave it running while he went and did other stuff. Then he'd sit on it and gun the engine for ten minutes, probably showing off, before he drove off. I can't imagine what was going on in his head while he was annoying everyone on the campground. I've ridden motorcycles for decades and have never felt the need to either leave it running (even in cold weather) or gun the engine like that. Fortunately he moved on after two (noisy) days.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My wife and I just got back from ten days at the Oregon coast. Five days at a private campground in Neskowyn, and five days at Beverly Beach state park. Both were great, and the state park, in spite of being huge and fully occupied, was restful and quiet. I specifically timed this trip to get back before the holiday weekend. Crowds and the end of summer mania s something I want to stay away from.

Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Fulltimers know that we need to plan ahead for holidays, as campgrounds fill up quickly. We generally avoid commercial parks, opting instead for COE or State parks. A couple of years ago we spent Independence Day in a State campground near a larger city. It was somewhat noisy, but not all that bad. Last year we were in another State park in another State, and it was very quiet. There was a kiddy parade through the park. Since we didn't have any children, no one told us about it, so they were mostly past us by the time we got outside to watch. This year we were in a "park" that doesn't exist. The youngest person here is about 60, and the oldest was just short of 80. About 10 people total. Yes, it is quiet. Lots of deer, turkeys, geese, and Sand Hill cranes.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It's one of those things that you either research online reviews of the campground BEFORE you make a reservation, or simply make a mental note never to book there again. I've already been to a couple of campgrounds that I won't be visiting again despite positive online reviews. Live and learn.

Oh, and my home CG has "resort" in its name and it's one of the few I'd stay in.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon

while they are all trying to sleep it off. Start up the TV, turn on the generator, play a Puccini aria.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I used to hate KOA's. Decades ago they were terrific and fun. Then they become outdated and run down. I started a thread about KOA's, but the title hurt some feelings so the Moderators changed the name of the thread, twice. Now on our cross country trip last year, we stopped at several KOA's and they were all pretty nice. The prices have gone up, but so has almost everything else.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The KOA near Glacier NP west entrance, in Billings, MT, as well as Devils Tower were all great.
The KOA in Flagstaff, AZ is by far the worst place we have ever stayed.
The KOA in Benson, AZ was a 3 on a scale of 1-5.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's been my experience that most of the KOAs we've stayed at recently show signs of getting their act together.

I think a few of the more marginal ones are no longer part of KOA, or at least I can't find them anymore in the catalog.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote