Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Directv changes for 2019?

Directv is phasing out their older receivers that receive standard definition by April 2019. I was told that the required new receivers would be both HD and standard definition and the portable domes that most of us now use would not work with the new receivers. I did contact Wineguard and they said that they were unaware of any changes. Does anyone know anything about the change and how or if it will affect current users?
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I no longer use Directv in my trailer but still have it at home.

What I can say is they, as are all other suppliers, are under extreme pricing pressure from the Streaming Services and thus you can really negotiate with them. I changed to the new receivers 4 months ago and reduced my bill by over 50%.

If you are talking to Directv only do it with a termination agents. They are charged with customer retention and thus are able to get to the bottom line without the normal run around.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just jumped over to the DBS talk forum where this issue is currently being discussed. It's believed the Wineguard is aware of this but is under a non disclosure agreement with Direct, so for now you won't hear much. Apparently there is a dealer meeting for Direct yet this month and things will be clarified. Note that this announcement of SD going away came back as early as 2015 so it's not a new issue.

The real question is that there is only one satellite for RV use that currently handles the HD signals for Direct. That unit requires a special reflector based on the position in the sky of the Direct HD satellite used for HD. So no one knows for sure whether the existing carryout or rooftop RV dishes have the electronics to be able to process the HD encoded signal if it placed on a different satellite. While the receiver decodes the signal, there may be some form of ID that the dish electronics need to decode to verify that the dish is locked into the proper satellite and transponder.

Bottom line, more info might be available by the end of the month after the dealer meeting. In the meantime I'd be cautious in making a purchase of any Direct carry or RV mounted dish products right now.

I find that many Direct TV agents are very unaware of the RV product side so use caution in talking to them right now.

Personally I use Dish Network for satellite TV and based on satellite positions, all of the Dish SD and HD programming is available on their RV and carry out dish hardware. I use the Dish Tailgater unit which is a carry out dish.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The newest current (Genie) DirecTV receivers only operate with the Single Wire Multifeed (SWM) dishes. They will not work with the older dishes even now. DTV has HD on multiple satellites but the design of their network requires three degrees of freedom, azimuth, elevation, and tilt (rotation about the focal point) for the dish. The dish has to be pointed in all three axes to acquire the signal from the three main satellites without moving. That's why the DTV HD automatic dish is more expensive. About a year ago I invested in a used Trav'ler dish to get HD. If they obsolete that I will be going to cable at home and Dish on the road.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I just browsed the DBSTalk forum. My interpretation of what I read is that those of us with Trav'ler dishes and HD receivers will not be significantly affected. The issue appears to be multi-faceted, in that what DTV is discontinuing is broadcast of SD channels in the old MPEG2 format on the Ku satellite band. Current HD broadcasts are in MPEG4 format on the Ka band and the carryout dishes do not receive Ka. It could be that an upgrade will be made available to convert those dishes to Ka, but it remains to be seen if that is technically possible.

Before I got my Trav'ler I had an older Winegard 18x21 rooftop dish that could be set to receive either Dish or DirecTV, and one of the newer ones I looked at could also be switched in the setup menu. If a someone had a carryout dish that could be switched to Dish, I think they could convert to Dish from DTV by re-configuring the dish and purchasing a Dish receiver like the 211. In my opinion Dish is more favorable for RV use in that the account can be turned on and off on a monthly basis. The last time I checked DTV only allowed that once every 6 months.

Al
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
White Post , Virginia
If you have direcTv at home and also have AT&T as your cell carrier you can stream all of your DirecTv channels data free to your phone and connect the phone to the TV in the Airstream. You can also access all of your DirecTv recordings and stream them to your phone as well as recording new shows remotely.
Tomrpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomrpark View Post
If you have direcTv at home and also have AT&T as your cell carrier you can stream all of your DirecTv channels data free to your phone and connect the phone to the TV in the Airstream. You can also access all of your DirecTv recordings and stream them to your phone as well as recording new shows remotely.
It is my understanding that the streaming of the recorded channels can only be done if the phone is on the same WiFi network as the DVR. I have streamed broadcast DTV channels to my phone and then to my TV without data charges, and I have set my DVR remotely, but those depend on cellular access, and the streamed channels, IIRC, are not HD. My Trav'ler works great as long as I have a clear line of sight. I also carry a tripod and dish if I REALLY want to watch something and the rooftop doen't have a line of sight. I did that for the NCAA national championship game.

Al
Old 04-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Wait and see...

Thanks for the input from all. I guess I will have to wait and see what is around the corner. I do want to get HD if it is within reason from Directv.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
There has to be a better way than Directv. I have it at home and that will be short lived with the 220 channels of nonsense. Hopefully we will have an alternative source.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My old dish antenna is already incompatible with my new DirecTV receivers.
I bought the dish when we still had standard definition TV sets and standard definition DirecTV receivers.
I bought a HDTV for the house in 2012 and bought an Airstream with HDTV's in 2012 and got new HD DirecTV receivers in 2012, but haven't bothered to go to the expense or trouble of trying to get a high definition DirecTV dish antenna for the camper.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I currently have Direct with a portable dish that I ourchades in Jan 2017. I was advised that although I wouldn’t have HD, I would be able to have a dual tuner DVR receiver. The receiver is HD capable, but the satellite isn’t. This is confirmed because I can receive all HD/SD channels at home, but must switch to SD only in the RV. My current satellite works woth Dish & Direct. I switched from Dish because the receivers they offered at the time did not offer dual tiner DVR capabilities. I was not informed about the future potential loss of SD with Direct (my installer probably wasn’t aware). I do feel that Winegard should offer fairly new and new customers something to help with this transition. Although it’s AT&T/Direct‘s satellite, it’s Winegard’s equipment that will cause the potential interruption in service. I’m not happy with the idea that my $500 satellite may be a paperweight in a matter of weeks.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlnRN View Post
I currently have Direct with a portable dish that I ourchades in Jan 2017. I was advised that although I wouldn’t have HD, I would be able to have a dual tuner DVR receiver. The receiver is HD capable, but the satellite isn’t. This is confirmed because I can receive all HD/SD channels at home, but must switch to SD only in the RV. My current satellite works woth Dish & Direct. I switched from Dish because the receivers they offered at the time did not offer dual tiner DVR capabilities. I was not informed about the future potential loss of SD with Direct (my installer probably wasn’t aware). I do feel that Winegard should offer fairly new and new customers something to help with this transition. Although it’s AT&T/Direct‘s satellite, it’s Winegard’s equipment that will cause the potential interruption in service. I’m not happy with the idea that my $500 satellite may be a paperweight in a matter of weeks.

**Edit** My equipment is King and they are currently still selling SD-only satellites.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Tell me how this works. I am trying to figure it out.
Thx
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
I too have been using AT&T/DirecTV with a Samsung TV & BluRay box connected to a KVH satellite on the roof of my classic. About 6 months ago I could not get a signal and have not found anyone that can recalibrate the KVH. Now just pretty much stuck. Any recommendations for Central Texas mobile RV service?
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
DirecTV announced last year that they were going to discontinue standard definition (SD) service in April of this year. The plan was to take the 119 degree satellite (which carries(d) SD service) out of service. Maybe they accelerated their schedule, maybe the satellite failed, maybe something in your system failed.

Assuming you want to remain with DirecTV and have a relatively recent DirecTV receiver that can process HD signals, you will need to change your antenna. There are two options:
1. Least expensive - purchase a slimline dish and mounting tripod. The type of LNB you want with the dish depends on your DirecTV receiver. Newer ones take the Single Wire Multifeed (SWM). SolidSignal.com can set you up with what you need. You will have to set this up every time you stop. Pointing the antenna is fairly simple, but not automatic. You will have to set the elevation and tilt on the dish with a wrench and point it in azimuth, using the signal strength indicator in your receiver. I have seen write-ups that say this cannot be done, but I do it all the time.
2. Expensive - Purchase a Winegard Trav'ler rooftop mount HD DirecTV antenna. This antenna points automatically like the one you have now but receives HD. There is a used one on e-Bay at a good price right now. Search "Winegard Trav'ler Traveler DirecTV Slimline SK-3005 Satellite RV SK-SWM3 Camper".

A third option is to change to Dish Network. It may be possible to convert your existing King unit to Dish Network. My previous Winegard 18" round dish could be changed between DirecTV and Dish by changing a switch in the base. If yours can't be converted, there is a Dish Network antenna that can replace your existing antenna and receive HD from Dish Network. The automatic Dish Network antennas sell for significantly less than the Trav'ler, in the $300-$500 price range. You will also have to get a Dish Network receiver. The advantage to Dish is you can turn the subscription on and off on a monthly basis.

Al
Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
I have been talking with both Directv and Winegard for the last few weeks with the results being somewhat Iffy! Let me start with a directv tech that came to a rental house. He said the old receiver will not work, period. I have a Winegard G2 carryout dome. He said to get the H24 receiver along with a bbc converter to attach to receiver or get the tripod mount setup. I did not want a rooftop dish.

After calling Directv 3 times without finding someone that had a clue, I finally got a person that directed me to motor home sales. When the call was made, it was the Winegard number! She said for some reason directv is referring all calls to them. No idea why! But, she ansered my questions. She said the H24 receiver is what I need without any converter attached. It will work with their dome and receive the HD signal when the sattelite change is made is made. The options for purchasing a receiver was through Winegard (around $170.00) or Camping World ($139.99). I purchased it from Directv for $118 through a lengthy process. I will have to call Winegard to get it online through a third party at the current rate(I am using the receiver as a additional receiver on my home account).

Now, I will just have to wait to see if all of this works.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
I have been talking with both Directv and Winegard for the last few weeks with the results being somewhat Iffy! Let me start with a directv tech that came to a rental house. He said the old receiver will not work, period. I have a Winegard G2 carryout dome. He said to get the H24 receiver along with a bbc converter to attach to receiver or get the tripod mount setup. I did not want a rooftop dish.

After calling Directv 3 times without finding someone that had a clue, I finally got a person that directed me to motor home sales. When the call was made, it was the Winegard number! She said for some reason directv is referring all calls to them. No idea why! But, she ansered my questions. She said the H24 receiver is what I need without any converter attached. It will work with their dome and receive the HD signal when the sattelite change is made is made. The options for purchasing a receiver was through Winegard (around $170.00) or Camping World ($139.99). I purchased it from Directv for $118 through a lengthy process. I will have to call Winegard to get it online through a third party at the current rate(I am using the receiver as a additional receiver on my home account).

Now, I will just have to wait to see if all of this works.
I have the same setup but with an HR24. Has been working for a few years now, most recently tested it in December. No idea what will happen in the future but the SD picture has been fine for me. Best of luck with yours.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I am currently on the road with DTV, HR24 STB and Carryout G2+. I can get most channels in my package. I cannot receive my local (2-70) channels so I missed Super Bowl. On previous trips I spent several hours on phone with both DTV and Winegard. DTV says local channels are HD so tough luck as it is a Winegard problem that they don’t receive HD. Also can only receive one channel so no recording one show while watching another. I hope Winegard is working on a solution.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
I don’t understand why it is a Winegard problem when it’s dome receives Dish HD and not Direvtv?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
I don’t understand why it is a Winegard problem when it’s dome receives Dish HD and not Direvtv?
There is a difference in how the dishes work. The Dish Network antennas steer in azimuth and elevation, and can only look at one satellite at a time. When you change channels, the new channel might be on a different satellite. The Dish Network antenna then moves to the new satellite. If you have two receivers, you can only watch, on either receiver, channels on the satellite that the antenna is pointed at. If you only have one receiver, this is not a problem.

DirecTV antennas have a third axis called tilt. Their antennas can see all their satellites without moving. Any receiver connected to a DirecTV dish can tune to any channel. This third axis adds another motor, gear, and sensor system and must be peaked on the satellites. The added complexity is one reason why the DirecTV automatic antenna is so much more than the Dish Network antenna.

As far as I know, there are only a couple of automatic antennas that will receive DirecTV HD, and they are larger and more expensive. I don't think the Carryout, or any of the smaller antennas will work for DirecTV HD.

Al