Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We haven't been to Dinosaur Valley since the kids were small, so thats probably 25 years at least. Remember hiking up to the top of the ridge on the other side of the river and swimming in the river.... although i guess there have been some parasite issues with the still water in recent years.

and you are right, any day of camping is better than a day of doing every day stuff

Looking forward to seeing you guys if the Canton Rally works out later in the spring.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So my premonition that we'd have the only Airstream product in the park turned out to be correct. The big beast and I just finished a walk through the camping loop. There is a vintage fiberglass Boler halfway around the loop, though, so we're not the only obscure vintage camper here. I'm not really counting the particolour VW bus (assorted shades of rattle can and rust) as a vintage camper.

I'm surprised that it looks like more tent campers than trailers chose to stick it out, but the percentage may be similar.

Time to get the brussels sprouts simmering and light the Colemanfor the chicken... Gotta have some food in the photo or my fellow forums members will think we're just drunks.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I was going to say, wish I was there to have a drink with you all, but when you mentioned Brussel Sprouts, my poor stomach got queezy and I had Scotty beam me back home.

Now, let me fix you some lightly fried Scallops (from Costco), and nice Idaho baked potatoes and I'll let you do the salad. French toast for breakfast, with real maple syrup and butter of course. And only real plates of course.

Argosy folks have to stick together and have simple, but high quality meals. Are we drinking single malt scotch, or a good whiskey?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba
I was going to say, wish I was there to have a drink with you all, but when you mentioned Brussel Sprouts, my poor stomach got queezy and I had Scotty beam me back home.

Now, let me fix you some lightly fried Scallops (from Costco), and nice Idaho baked potatoes and I'll let you do the salad. French toast for breakfast, with real maple syrup and butter of course. And only real plates of course.

Argosy folks have to stick together and have simple, but high quality meals. Are we drinking single malt scotch, or a good whiskey?
Well, we will cap the evening with some Woodford Reserve small-batch Bourbon, but we had wine with dinner.

There are only a couple of good ways to cook Brussels sprouts. Most people boil them to death which makes a nasty taste and a worse texture. Tonight we simmered them in a garlic and roasted tomato sauce, but at home with a big skillet we saute them in pancetta grease and serve them with the crispy pancetta bits.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Last dinner of the trip. Sure is tastier than hot dogs and potato chips! It's nice to camp with a kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120218_211723.png
Views:	82
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	151431  

Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Even Trudy likes the cheap red!
Attached Images
File Type: png ForumRunner_20120218_213024.png (293.6 KB, 35 views)

Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Wow! Looks like y'all are having fun, even with all the rain. Only one leak? That's pretty good. Enjoy your time and hope to camp with y'all soon.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
There are only a couple of good ways to cook Brussels sprouts. Most people boil them to death which makes a nasty taste and a worse texture. Tonight we simmered them in a garlic and roasted tomato sauce, but at home with a big skillet we saute them in pancetta grease and serve them with the crispy pancetta bits.
Cut them in half, coat with olive oil, and roast them on a cookie sheet in a 425 deg oven for 20-25 min. Cover with foil for the first 10 min so that they steam themselves, then uncover. My wife eats them like candy.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'm pretty sure rose' is not what's recommended with sausage biscuits, but it works.
Especially for breakfast.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Especially for breakfast.
Heh... even I wouldn't have wine with breakfast! Well, maybe prosecco with an frittata. But really, it was the middle of the afternoon. I should have called them sausage rolls instead of biscuits, that was a little misleading.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good fun, DKB. Not laughter at some one, but at the idea of . . . .

Misleading post/pic? Naw, it was all too much fun trying to imagine rose' for breakfast. Beer? (been there). Cold pizza? (done that). Wine with breakfast would be right up there with sardines on crackers on awakening . . I have too much of a sweet tooth. I always got a kick out of my mother drinking "mimosas" forty years ago, but learned -- happily -- in my turn that there are all sorts of sweet juices that mix well with alcohol. The movable feast was, for me, some of those weekends in a permanent haze. Walker Percy's comment about New Orleans (drinking, drinking, never becoming drunk).

But, rose' for breakfast . . ? That's right up there with a refrigerator shelf dedicated to boxed wine. Too funny, and LOL at the wrong time in someone elses house.

A weekend in the country at 10 am: It's 5-pm somewhere on this planet. Here, have one. But I draw a line at rose' with biscuits when I get up. Along with the crack of the sardine tin at the same time.

So my wishes that it was a nice weekend. I have always loved "the upper Hill Country".

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote