Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I have a mix of Calphalon and Analon. All have short handles and metal lids.
I avoid glass in my RV. They stack well and work quite nice on the propane stove.
I picked them up at Ross / Marshall's / TJ Maxx type stores.
The pieces you find at these discount stores are not as heavy as the department store versions and they tend to have the non-stick coating. This makes them nice for RVing.
Sometimes you can find Rachel Ray cookware pieces at these stores too.

Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have one-quart and two-quart WearEver stainless steel saucepans, with glass/strainer lids, and a large WearEver teflon skillet with lid. Purchased at WalMart, are plenty good quality for travel. Also carry a crockpot and an $8, 4 quart enamelware stockpot from WalMart for the occasional chili or other item that needs more space.

We don't have an oven in our Interstate, so keep 8" and 10" Dutch Ovens stashed away for baking needs. They weigh a bit, but just have to have them.

Maggie

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
For 7 years now, our family of four has used stainless steel plates, bowls, coffee mugs and utensils. We use aluminum tumblers. When we microwave, we use paper plates and bowls. The stainless are indestructible and cheap ... you can find them online or at most any "big box" sports/camping store.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-804228417.png
Views:	95
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	122625  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I have a 19' Bambi so space and weight are quite important. I started with some Corelle and found it too heavy and bulky. I switched to stainless plates and bowls. For cups, I went to the bath section of Bed Bath and Beyond, but try any of the box store ones. There are several versions of double walled stainless bath cups which are great for cold or hot beverages. No handles, which means tighter storage.

For pots and pans, I found a stackable Cuisinart set with detachable handles from Camping World. It is decent quality stainless and cleans up easily. I also use a cast iron skillet and carry a small electric slow cooker. I have a Coleman griddle which can cover two burners.

If and when we move to a large Airstream with more storage capacity, I might consider changing some things, but after several seasons, these items are working well for some great meals.

all the best,
Caryl
Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
1975 26' Argosy 26
Flora , Indiana
We have Cuisinarts stainless steel nesting set. They are heavy but store well in a small space and for full timing I would think you may want more than just a skillet. Cuisinart has pans that double as lids, etc. Not real cheap but worth the $$. They clean up nicely too.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Corelle may possibly be the toughest substance on the planet. I left an oval serving tray sitting on top of my car and drove off once. At 70MPH, I heard a scuffing noise on the top of the car and looked in the rearview mirror just in time to witness the tray do a few flips in the air and bounce off the pavement, eventually sliding down the road a hundred or so feet and off into the grass. I couldn't help myself. I HAD to turn around to see the damage. To my amazement, the plate had a rough spot on the edge where it chipped when it impacted the pavement and NOTHING ELSE!!! I still have the tray and use it fairly often.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
For drinking we keep 4 square polycarbonate glasses from Target in the cupboard.
We rarely use them because our number one choice is the two 16oz Tervis Tumblers we carry with us.
My husband uses his "Bike" or classic Airstream being towed by a bike version and I use a flamingo or pink flower version.
We have coordinating sipper lids for each.
These are great because they are plastic, fit in our vehicle drink holders, double as coffee cups and they do not sweat with cold drinks.
We do not carry mugs or wine glasses as we do not consume alcoholic beverages.
We also carry a various number of sports bottle depending on what type of biking we plan to do. One shorty for CX races and 4 talls for centuries and long rides.
I keep a stack each of disposable drink cups and insulated cups w/ lids for company.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
Oh, another question. What cookware does everyone like for cooking on gas stoves? I like the colorful stuff from Rachael Ray but it can be expensive! And of course I need the minimal as I don't have a lot of storage!

Donna
With a 30' trailer galley space isn't at that much of a premium, and so if you like to cook, pick out pans that will work for you. Like many other posters I do have one Griswold cast iron pan in the trailer despite its size and weight. I have a cooking style built around it and am not comfortable in the kitchen without one. The balance of my cookware is some older Caphalon that was given to me. The Caphalon pieces are heavy-gauge aluminum. I've chosen a combination that nests well. The Caphalon handles work well for that.

The yacht guys all seem to use one of the several sets with detachable handles but I believe most of them have to work with a smaller galley than we do.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Pfaltzgraff for dinnerware. Micro safe. Lots of designs to choose from.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmm, Pfaltzgraf. So pretty, but too bulky and heavy to suit our needs in the Interstate.

I am a dedicated lover and collector of fine coffee mugs, so we have to have a few of our favorites with us for morning coffee and tea whenever. Doug would drink out of anything, but not I. A nice mug is one of life's little pleasures, and a favorite indulgence. Morning coffee with a campfire........a little bit of heaven on earth.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Mmmmm, Pfaltzgraf. So pretty, but too bulky and heavy to suit our needs in the Interstate.

I am a dedicated lover and collector of fine coffee mugs, so we have to have a few of our favorites with us for morning coffee and tea whenever. Doug would drink out of anything, but not I. A nice mug is one of life's little pleasures, and a favorite indulgence. Morning coffee with a campfire........a little bit of heaven on earth.

Maggie
I agree 100%. Coffee tastes better out of your favorite mug. Mine has a picture of the AS on it. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I got the nesting pots from Camping World - and only recently had the TA-DA moment to stack them facing down. Before I always struggled to pull the littlest one out of the stack to get to the next and the next. Upside down, you only need one piece of anti-slip matting and you easily pop off the outer one until you reach the size you want. I stow the handles on hooks inside the door of the cabinet where the pots are. These changes alone gave me room to store the cast iron skillet, corn muffin pan and dutch oven.

I also realize I almost never use my sink covers, thanks to another member's suggestion, I now I stow them UNDER the kitchen drawer on the floor. Once every three months or so I MIGHT have to pull them out and use them.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I got the nesting pots from Camping World - and only recently had the TA-DA moment to stack them facing down. Before I always struggled to pull the littlest one out of the stack to get to the next and the next. Upside down, you only need one piece of anti-slip matting and you easily pop off the outer one until you reach the size you want. I stow the handles on hooks inside the door of the cabinet where the pots are. These changes alone gave me room to store the cast iron skillet, corn muffin pan and dutch oven.

I also realize I almost never use my sink covers, thanks to another member's suggestion, I now I stow them UNDER the kitchen drawer on the floor. Once every three months or so I MIGHT have to pull them out and use them.
I agree the sink covers are a waste. Usually just use one to make room for the coffee pot. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Maggie
I agree 100% also. Although Pfaltzgraf is pretty, it is bulky and heavy and I just got rid of a big set in favor of Corelle.

I too have to have my favorite coffee mug! I will make the space!!