Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Along with the former suggestions I strongly suggest that whenever possible try to get your diesel from a place that sells a large volume so they have a quick turnover and less chance of bad fuel from sitting in a tank. Look for a place that caters to a lot of truck traffic. Not necessarily a "truck stop" but a local dealer that sees a lot of truck usage. They will also add conditioner as the weather requires. These newer diesel engines are very sensitive to water in the fuel. You don't even want to go there.
Good point. I knew that, but on one trip, due to my bad planning, I had no choice but to fill up at a seedy-looking out of the way gas stop on a secondary road in the hills of Pennsylvania.

We made it onto the interstate and into NY state, when the truck suddenly went into "Limp" mode and I could barely make it into a small town that had a GM dealership,

The dash info system told me I had zero fuel filter life left - and it just happened I had checked it that morning and it was showing 55% left so I figured chances were pretty good I had picked up a load of and fuel (algae growing?).

I told the GM dealer that and asked if they would change the filter and if possible dump m the remaining fuel which was down to about a quarter tank - they were not sure if they had the ability to dump the fuel.

When we return to collect the truck in a couple of hours, they had changed teh filter and the truck was fine. they said they did not dump the remaining fuel as it looked ok (I don't know about that!)

In any event we had no further problem, so my money is still on bad fuel.

I now carry a spare diesel fuel filter with me as well as tools to change it (there re youtube instructional videos.) That probably guarantees I won't have the problem again and will never need my emergency filter! I also carry an OBD 2 scanner to read and cancel codes.

So now I am all the more careful to do my best to buy fuel from stations with high turnover!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When we converted the stock 26 gallon diesel tank to the Titan 56 gallon under bed tank, we added a Cummins branded water separator at the tank. From there, the fuel line went to the stock block mounted fuel filer/water separator and then thru a Cummins branded 2 micron fuel filter before going to the engine fuel rail.

A load of bad fuel can cost thousands if the injectors receive any of it.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just the other day here in Sunny / cold New Jersey I saw diesel priced at $2.48 at the high end and $2.06 at the low all within 2 miles on Rt. 202 and Rt. 22. At the low end in my area I've seen $1.83 lately.

I always carry an extra fuel filter for that Just IN Case situation. Only needed it once and it didn't seem to help when I did. But maybe it did since things cleared up on their own later on in the day.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote