Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Diesel #2 Availability in the Midwest

I've heard recently that Diesel #2 availability in the Midwest is somewhat limited and that much of what is sold is either Diesel #1 or contains bio-diesel. Can anyone in the Midwest states comment on this please.

Modern diesel truck are very particular about what goes in their tank. We'd like to know what we're in for if we travel that way.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
#1 diesel has the paraffin removed. It doesn't gel as readily in low temperatures. It has lower energy content (so you will use more by volume). It has lower lubricity. It is often mixed with #2 diesel to match lower ambient temperatures in that area in winter, with the percentages dependent on the expected lowest temperature. A small percentage mixed in with #2 is simply termed a winter blend of #2.

You will generally find #2 everywhere. It may or may not have biodiesel added to it depending on the local laws, supplier, etc.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
^^Correct in my area all Diesel contains biotheres only 1 station north of Indianapolis that gives a choice of non bio, Subsequently I put additives in every time I fill to maintain lube of the fuel
Old 11-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We country folks in the midwest can afford “modern diesel trucks”.

And surprisingly, we can buy fuel to operate them on here, too.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Yep - you will be fine. Like any diesel truck make sure you change the fuel filter per the manufacturer's schedule.

A shot of Stanadyne additive and extra filtration for my truck. The injectors are much quieter with the additive.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
I've heard recently that Diesel #2 availability in the Midwest is somewhat limited and that much of what is sold is either Diesel #1 or contains bio-diesel. Can anyone in the Midwest states comment on this please.

Modern diesel truck are very particular about what goes in their tank. We'd like to know what we're in for if we travel that way.

#2 ULSD is available at all stations w/Diesel.

When #1 is added for winter blend, often a lubricity additive is added to the fuel at the plant.

I have seen bio at the really big truck stops.

You may (doubt it) if wandering in very rural areas see #1 at a pump but, that is off road / machinery fuel only and says so. Read the pump.

You will have no issues finding fuel.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My truck Manuel says no bio over 10% so when traveling I always look for the #2. I've noticed that many Flying J's, Pilot, Love amount others are slowly switching to bio 20% so finding # 2 can sometimes be a challenge but not impossible. This past spring we did a cross county trip without fuel issues, Texas along much of I-10 had only bio but it was just 5% so no problem.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
#1 diesel has the paraffin removed. It doesn't gel as readily in low temperatures. It has lower energy content (so you will use more by volume). It has lower lubricity. It is often mixed with #2 diesel to match lower ambient temperatures in that area in winter, with the percentages dependent on the expected lowest temperature. A small percentage mixed in with #2 is simply termed a winter blend of #2.

You will generally find #2 everywhere. It may or may not have biodiesel added to it depending on the local laws, supplier, etc.
......very little paraffin in the low sulfur fuel....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
We have a 2011 Dodge Ram diesel with over 100,000 miles. Most of them towing. I never have worried about whether fuel has bio or not. I just look for stations that sell a lot of fuel. Fresh fuel works best for me.
YMMV
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Not to be testy but !
Have you ever been east of the Sierras ?
Not only do we have every kind of Diesel Fuel available much of it is refined and distributed from here.
We also have Modern Diesel Trucks, flushing toilets running hot and cold water.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In Minnesota (in the summer) , state law requires B20 biodiesel. I am sure it would work fine in my truck but it is still under warranty and Cummins says no greater than B10. So, kind of a conundrum. Illinois also presents a challenge as most stations are sell ing biodiesel blends.

Pilot and Flying J (at most locations) placard the pumps for B20 even though it may well be pure dinosaur. No way to tell.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
......very little paraffin in the low sulfur fuel...
ULSD continues to have paraffin. It has less than higher sulphur diesel due to the refining process, but it is still there, and because the refining process changes the size of the wax crystals, there are more issues with gelling at low temperatures than previously. If there was very little paraffin there wouldn’t be the same low temperature issues.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post

You may (doubt it) if wandering in very rural areas see #1 at a pump but, that is off road / machinery fuel only and says so. Read the pump.
Wouldn’t that be more likely to signify off road (marked) diesel than anything else?

Where I worked years ago we sold #2 and #1 (aka kerosene) for off road equipment use, depending on ambient temperatures, and both could be dyed. The dye was just about the road tax, not about #1 vs #2.

Do some rural stations carry two grades of marked fuel?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:

I have a 2018 Duramax and have no problem with any of the fuel anywhere in MN
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Not to be testy but !
Not only do we have every kind of Diesel Fuel available much of it is refined and distributed from here.
I just returned from a month long trip to the Southwest. Diesel #2 was easy to find as far east as Flagstaff. There were some stations with Diesel blended biodiesel, which I avoided.

The reason I posed the question is that a friend just returned from a trip that took him as far as New York via Mid Western states. He mentioned that in some places he had to go out of his way to find Diesel #2 and that bio-diesel blends were the norm in some areas.

Oh....and by modern diesels, I was referring to DEF era engines, 2013 and newer. They seem to be very sensitive to fuel type and can experience difficulties with their emissions systems which can put you in "limp-home" mode.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Not to be testy but !
Well, who knew! I think I may change my travel plans for next spring to include a trip through your neck of the woods.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Diesel!

The answer to the first part of your question is no. There is no number 1 fuel sold as number 2 under any circumstances unless the pump is labeled “Blended” which they charge more for. Nowadays if you can find straight number 1 diesel it usually has a ridiculous high price. Whatever you are driving will run just fine on number 1 and if it gets to minus 20 or so I highly recommend it. As far as bio goes any chain can legally blend up to 5% without it being labeled but I do not think many use bio much anymore. Back when diesel was $5.00 a gallon bio was cost effective. Not so much anymore.
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #18
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Biodiesel is a real problem if you don't use it regularly because it is an excellent fuel system cleaner. However, just 2,000 miles after putting 5% in my 26 gallon tank I "limped home" to the nearest town in the Wyoming mountains with my trailer to get my almost new fuel filter changed.
Regular bio use has some serious limitations. Between 2007.5 and 2011 diesel trucks that use the direct injection method of adding a burst of fuel to the exhaust (to burn the soot off the DPF) through the engine are severely limited. Most manufacturers limit the bio to 5%. However, recently because of the mandate to go to bio 20%, engine trouble can be just around the corner. VW did much testing and found that bio, because of its higher flash point, was being shoved, unburned, past the rings into the oil, over filling the crankcase. After a while, if the oil is not changed often enough hydraulic lock up of the crankshaft can occur. The fix was to change the point of fuel injection from the cylinder to just in front of the DPF. GM came out with a notice to increase the limit of bio from 5 to 20%. But, this does not fix the problem. It just stretches out the problem, not solve it.. And, if you use synthetic oil the changes can get expensive. The GM notice also stated that if the DPF was deleted and the soot burn off deprogramed, bio100% was OK. If you use bio, use it all the time after you have changed the filters a couple times. So here is the dilemma: 20% bio will become the standard if we don't complain enough and then we will have to use it. One solution for cleaning the fuel is to use a lift pump and filter add on system FASS is one such system, there are others. So the government adds a clean air requirement then nullifies it with another mandate. Fortunately, Diesels after 2011 have the new DPF fuel injection system and can use bio 100%.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I’m not a mechanic but this is why I carry several spare fuel filters (not cheap!) and the tools to change it when we’re on the road.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Just do what most jet engine guys run, "Jet A" or "Jet A-1", then you'll smell like a 747 going down the road. Pour a little oil into the tank when you fill-up, and you'll get all the lube you need.

It works great heating your house too!

Enjoy,