Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
"didn't know they still made those...."

We pulled into my favorite little state park on Friday to be quickly greeted by the camp host and his wife. "You need to settle a bet.....I say it's new, he say's it's a restoration....whose right?" Ding, ding, ding, the lady is the winner! She lovingly slapped him on the shoulder as he replied "I didn't know they still made those." That was the first time we've heard that so far-but then again, this in only our fourth trip.

Like most everyone here, this is something magical that pulls people towards an Airstream. I love to see people looking when we go down the road, and I get giddy when I see one passing by. This is fun!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We've had this happen as well. We've also had folks come up, have a look and then ask us "did we just buy it and who sells these, it's just right.... they've been looking at new trailers, but haven't seen any of these yet - where can they get one...."

Kinda cool!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Re:"didn't know they still made those...."

"didn't know they still made those...."

I've heard that 7 or 8 times in the past year.

Compared to "normal" trailers, Airstreams are rare. We still count the Airstreams we see on every road trip we take.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood

We still count the Airstreams we see on every road trip we take.
Count, wow, maybe I should do that instead of this "squeal" I get each time I see one-lol! Poor DH-if he's snoozing when I see on, it certainly wakes him up! The squeal is then followed by "oh, it's number ....., where are they from?!?!" I like to keep track of the ones I see...have only seen a few with numbers on the road, but we're keeping track. Saw a triple axle heading south yesterday-boy was the exciting-lol!!!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
On the way home for picking our Caravel up, there was an accident north of Louiville. Traffic blocked, and we were sitting with the engine off for over 30 minutes. Looked in the rear view and had a crowd of 10-12 people walking around the Caravel. Had to get out and give tours of the inside. It was great, wife hated it, she's not too excited about the attention.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I had someone ask me if mine was new or vintage, they couldn't tell! Kind of made me feel good!

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I love these.

This was our second time out this last weekend what a blast it was over 200 campers I gave 7 tours Saturday. The lady next to us came out of her pop-up right after we got there and told me she had to call her husband at work and tell him what just parked by them. He came over and had a full tour and kept telling me I've got to get me one of those. The last day we were there a man walked up to me and asked is that one of those retro trailers that was the best one of the weekend.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Glad to hear that we're not the only ones who've heard that. This past trip out someone told me the same thing. I thought that was very cool.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
During my latest trip: Naples, FL- Cleveland, OH – Jackson Center, OH – Sioux Falls, SD – Roundtop, Texas, a trip of about 3,100 miles, and while I saw many SOB's I saw only 5 Airstreams on the road.

It's nice being exclusive

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
First Trip

I took my new 2006 25' Safari FB SE out last week to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival. As usual I stopped for propane inspection at the tunnel and the guard said "I remember these from when I was a kid, sure looks great, how do you keep it so nice?" He about dropped trousers when I told him it was a 2006. I went to a KOA in East Sparta Ohio where the manager knew they still made them, but hadn't seen one recently. (BTW - this is a semi-decent KOA, but remote.... well lets just say I heard deuling banjos.)

Came back and stopped at a large 7-11 for refreshments and a nice Hispanic man just about dropped to the ground and worshipped when he saw the A/S. He wants one, but wasn't prepared for the pricetag. I gave him the factory website and this one. Since he had obviously done a great job customizing his own car I predict an A/S low-rider restoration may be a real possibility.

Again, when having my propane bottles inspected, another inspector was just in heaven to see an Airstream. He's seen some 31 and 34's but wanted to know what he could tow with an F-150 with a towing package.

Glad to be home, glad so many people appreciated the new A/S

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Imagine driving a Classic Motor Home. People come up and read the name plate Airstream and then say, "I never knew they built a Motor Home." And now our reply can be, yes at one time the company did make a motor home but no more.
We started a guest book for all the people who come and tour Chummy in the camp parks. I can not remember a time camping when we have not had at least one guest. At least this helps us keep the inside clean and the dirty underwear picked up off the floor.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlink
During my latest trip: Naples, FL- Cleveland, OH – Jackson Center, OH – Sioux Falls, SD – Roundtop, Texas, a trip of about 3,100 miles, and while I saw many SOB's I saw only 5 Airstreams on the road.

It's nice being exclusive

Michael
Hey Mike,

Next time you're in Naples......give me a shout! It's home base in the late fall, winter and spring! BTW, where did you stay?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I went to a KOA in East Sparta Ohio where the manager knew they still made them, but hadn't seen one recently. (BTW - this is a semi-decent KOA, but remote.... well lets just say I heard deuling banjos.)Paula
With our beloved '75 Tradewind we stopped at a swanky KOA outside Boca Raton, I believe. The owner said we could not stay there when I told him I had a '75 trailer. Then he saw it was an Airstream and changed his mind saying I should have told him it was an Airstream.
BTW it was the very worse park we ever camped in and the most expensive, but we were visiting relative in Boca Raton. Who made it very clear we were not to bring the "trailer" into their gated community.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #14
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Chaplain Kent,

Well, if they wouldn't welcome RELATIVES with an AIRSTREAM, they may be just a little too up-snot to want to visit.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote