Old 01-03-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
destinations

where is everyone planning to go this year? i'm trying to convince my wife to head out west for a couple of weeks this summer.

she has expressed an intrest in touring the east coast, where she grew up.

i have not made any definate plans yet. just thought it would be fun to hear from the rest of you.

where ya gonna go this year, repeat trips or something new?

john

Old 01-03-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas

I intend to attend about 5 region 9 rallys this year, here in Texas, starting with teaching at the computer rally in Zavalla in February. The longest will be the region 9 rally at Harlingen in April.

The big trip should be in September, when I will attend my old squadron reunion at Colorado Springs. We want to attend the Scottish Games at Estes Park while we are there as well as stop by to see some old friends in the Boulder area where I worked for 18 years. While we're at Colo Springs, I have arranged to get together with just about all of my old Boulder management who have retired in the area, from my immediate manager up to the lab director.

Throw in a lot of two and three-nighters to state parks and attendance to one or more of my old TrailManor and popup groups.

I'm guessing a month and a half to two months of living in the Airstream all told.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

One trip from Washington to Michigan to pick up the "new" 25 ft. Sovereign. Then tentatively a week in the Canadian Rockies in August to try out the new trailer. There may be a few weekend trips in Washington as well. I am really looking forward to the Sovereign.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
light houses

john

lighthouses are of particular intrest to kathi, her father was a lighthouse keeper in the coast guard when she was growing up.

her family lived in many lighthouses on the east coast and the great lakes. she was born in sturgeon bay wisconsin when her father john (good name!) was stationed on poverty island.

poverty island is off the tip of wisconsin out past the small islands (washington, rock etc.). he had to stay with the light, so he sent kathi's mom to a boarding house in sturgeon bay for the winter. she was born there because poverty island was inaccessable during the winter months.

any way, we thought it would be fun to go to cape may NJ and see the light that they lived in and look up some old family freinds that still live near by.

john
Old 01-03-2003, 08:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

great trip

john,

that would be awesome to go back and see that lighthouse.

also, that's some really cool family history.

there are some really beautiful lighthouse along the new england coast too, if you had the time to go up that way.

i live a 1/2 mile from the jupiter lighthouse in jupiter,fl and could see it from my front porch.

i'm a american history buff(growing up just outside of boston) and i've always loved lighthouses .

sounds like a good trip,
john

p.s. the east coast is beautiful too, i just like the wide open spaces.

maybe you could swing by VT and say hi to the wbcci nat'l rally.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
alan

sounds like a great time, let us know how it goes with your "new" trailer.

john
Old 01-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
john hd, we have a few lighthouses along the coast of Lake Erie worth taking a peek at. There are two at Fairport Harbor, the old one on the shore, which is a museum, and the lighthouse on the breakwall at the harbor entrance on the lake.

John in Sanford FL: You are close to some friends of mine who are spending part of the winter on Nettles Island, near Ft. Pierce. They own a nice lot, with a boat slip. They drive their Newmar motor home down from Ohio every winter, and stay about 4 months, then come back up. I'd love to relocate down there, getting sick of "lake effect" snow!

I imagine we'll be doing the usual weekend camping in PA, in some of the state parks, and our favorite spots, near Titusville, PA. Going to hit some horse shows. (Equine Affaire, and Quarter Horse Congress). Going to try and make the irv2.com rally in Nashville. I may even venture out West, who knows?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 08:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Alan,

What's the year of your trailer?

Pick,

Your friends are just below the "frost line" in FL. It truly is awesome during the winter months!!! Lake effect snow can make for a long winter!

John
Old 01-03-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2003 Travel Plans

If all goes according to my current plan, the '78 Minuet and '75 Cadilllac will be ready for their first major shakedown cruise to the Region IV Rally. Following a return to Illinois to repair any deficits found in either the trailer or tow vehicle, it will hopefully be time to head to the WBCCI International Rally in Vermont.

I will still be Vermont bound even if there are problems with either the Minuet or Cadillac as the Suburban and Airstream Overlander are both travel ready at this moment.

My plans for post International Rally travel are in flex right now, but have been considering touring the Maritime Provinces of Canada.

My summer wrap-up will be a trip to the Statue of Liberty Rally in August just before my school year begins.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Jupiter, FL

John

My brother, before he retired, was a technician at the sanitary processing plant there at Jupiter. I visited him at Port St. Lucie and we drove down so that he ccould give me a tour of the facility. They supply recovered water to all of the golf courses around there.

When he hit retirement age, he sold his house, ditched his wife, bought a SOB RV, and took off. He got so lost that we don't even know where he is any more.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Thompson, Manitoba from mid May to mid Sept. (north of the 55th parallel)

Good fishin' and good weather.

Come on up and have a beer with me.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

John Irwin,

How did like the area? It's my favorite part of FL. I'm in the Orlando area now because that's where my daughter and folks live.

Hope your bro's ok !

John

p.s. looking forward in seeing the finally pics of your new dinning area.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

John:

It's a 1986 25 ft Sovereign.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Excellent size

Alan,

That's a nice size trailer and I'm sure you and your family will enjoy every moment in it!

Have you been to the Canadian Rockies before? If not, may I suggest a loop to travel? Travel east up the Trans-Canadian Hwy through Revelstoke,BC into Baniff, then north on the Icefield Pkwy to Jasper, then south on Rt5 through Clearwater,BC.

You'll be on sensory overload for the entire trip, as it is a magnificent route.

Either way, best wishes on your "new" A/S-John