Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2003, 06:17 PM   #61
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
and sodus point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sodus_1.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1581  
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:18 PM   #62
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
sodus again
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2003, 06:35 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Sodus

John,

The one at Sodus looks like it was built around the 1920's.

How close am I to this date?

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:45 PM   #64
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Question not sure

not for sure on that john, i'll have to ask my wife.

her family lived there when her father was the keeper of the light.

my first guess is that it is much older than the '20's

john
Old 02-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Congrat's !!!!

Big John,

You just became the Master of Rivets!!!!

Congrat's buddy !!!!

The Sodus Point pic has an awesome sky!!!

John
Old 02-22-2003, 06:53 PM   #66
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
thanks!

thanks john, i think it will be on our short list of places to go!

john
Old 02-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #67
Rivet Master

John,

That must be cool for your wife to go back and see where she sent time growing up!!

I'm probably wrong about the date! It probably was built during the end of the 19th century.

John
Old 02-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #68
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
closer!

kathi says it was constructed in 1883, her mom used to toss the rock collections the kids gathered out the windows! june cleaver on wheels!

john
Old 02-23-2003, 07:32 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

My wife and I are planning a trip from North Carolina to the New England states this summer. We also plan to visit Niagra Falls and see a little bit of Canada from there. We would love to hear suggestions about good campgrounds, places to see, things to avoid, etc.
Last year we went down to Sarasota, New Orleans, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, and Yellowstone. Our mistake was going too early. In early May we left the snow in Yellowstone and went to Yosemite and the entrance from the east side was closed because of bad weather. We didn't have time to drive around to the west entrance. I hope to go back. It was a great, great trip!
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:37 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Niagara Falls

Hello Wayne.

We are 40 minutes from "The Falls", and know the area well. It is a very busy area in July and August. Personally we avoid the area at that time. Too busy! It can be hot and humid in this area in the summer month. that may not consern you if you like that kind of thing. We prefer to camp in June, September and October here. Let us know what you need to know about this area and we can help.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:13 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Wayne!
I have never been to "the falls" or anywhere in Canada so any info you can give would be helpful. I didn't realize that the area was so busy in July and August. I don't like crowds, so we will probably wait until early September to visit. What would be the most helpful to me would be some recommended places to see in your area and a couple of nice quiet campgrounds. We don't care too much about spending time in large cities but love places with natural beauty and walking trails. Will we need to have birth certificates to go into Canada or will drivers licenses be OK?
Wayne
Old 02-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up The Falls

Yes Wayne... Sounds like we prefere the same things. September is ideal. Temperature day time will be in the seventies, low eighties. Summer crowds will have dwindled. Bring your birth certificates, especially these days.

I will get back to you with some good info re campgrounds. There are a couple of good ones about 15 minutes away from the actual falls away from the hustle and bustle. Niagara Falls ( canadian side) is actually just a large town. Population around 50,000. It is mostly busy in the "tourist trap area" around the actual falls. There are lots of river side scenic drives and walking trails in the area.

cheers, Wayne
Old 02-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #73
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Wayner1239 - Noticed you said you had made a trip to Zion and Bryce Canyons. We are trying to plan a trip out that way with our Argosy in late March. I posted a thread asking for info from anyone who might have some. Could you possibly add any you might have on to it? It is named "Zion National Park". Thanks.

Rod - I wondered what time of year you might be making you trip into Colorado? There are so many great places to choose from here!! One of the many great hiking areas is the Great Sand Dunes, but that one might be best if you are coming to Colorado somewhat early Spring. Cooler and not so crowded. Our dog and boys loved running in the dunes. Great hiking in mountains and a nice campground for trailers (but, like I said, it gets crowded and hot later). If I know approximate time, might have other ideas. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

CoArgosy78
It looks like mid to late May. We want to come before it gets too hot or too crowded. We took a late vac last year (mid Sept) and it turned out to be too close to Thanksgiving and Xmas. I will be checking the guidebooks on the Great Sand Dunes area. Thanks for the suggestion. We are just beginning to plan the trip and it's hard to pick a starting point to plan around. Thanks again.
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 05:58 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

CoArgosy78
We visited Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon in late April last year. It was cold and windy! As a matter of fact it was too cold and windy for us to walk the trails. At Zion we had to park and ride buses. YOne can get off at various places and walk trails and catch the next bus when ready to go to the next stopping point. Buses run often. (similar to the way the shuttle busses run at the Grand Canyon). We went through the tunnel and saw some beautiful scenery on the other side. Traffic is held on the other end of the tunnel because it is one way for campers.
At Bryce we walked along the ridge at several places and saw unbelievable scenery; however, because of the cold and wind we didn't walk down any of the trails.
It was a great trip for us and I know you will enjoy going.
Wayne
Old 03-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Well our family is getting ready to take the A/S on it's first long distance trip, and acutally only our second trip with the rig. (Can you say nervous??) Our plans are to drive from Indy to Reno, then over to Bodgea Bay CA for a few days to catch the sights of Northern CA. Next stop is down near Monterey, then over to Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park, and ending in Yosemite before heading home.

Have been searching threads for suggestions on CA camping and sightseeing but haven't come up with anything yet - if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I have most of the campgrounds booked already but not at Kings Canyon or up north near the Redwood Park. We will be traveling in mid-May, so info on what weather conditions we should expect on the road would be most welcome too, plus good spots to stop and camp along the way to Reno from Indy.

I love reading about everyone's plans...I am already thinking of places we could go next year!

For those of you who mentioned Michigan's UP, we took the rig up there last year and had a fantastic time. Absolutely beautiful scenery. We stayed near Pictured Rocks Natl. Park.

Hope everyone has safe and enjoyable trips!
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:35 PM   #77
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We're going next month to Louisville for "Thunder." Followed by a few trips to the U.P. of Michigan to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

I can hardly wait!

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:40 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
CA. Camping

Hey y'all,

Tamara, I live here in the north bay, I would stay at Bodaga Bay! Try Wrights Beach or Bodaga Dunes Beach. You can find them on ReserveAmerica.com. (I like space #2,3 or4 at Wrights Beach) Campsites are on the Beach and just a short time away from Jenner, a small arts town on the coast. Just north there is Fort Ross And Fort Bragg both are fishing/art towns filled with good sea food and lore. Fort Ross is the oldest Russian settelment in calif. The Redwoods are also close, have good camping at Redwood state park. If you want too stay near SF. check out this camp site @ Sanfranciscorvresort.com. Do not forget the SF Giants And Oakland A's season will have started!!

If you are going to be out here, I'm always up for the beach!! I will not be here the month of Sept. as I'm going home too Ms. to see my parents and bring my father too the WBCCI rally/Antolope hunt in Wy. in late Sept. If I can be of further help please fill free to contact me. - Ray.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Where are you traveling?

If anyone is heading to the midWest and St. Louis, don't miss the arch and the fun-interesting features there. But also, don't miss the BIG Lewis and Clark exhibit at the History Museum. (You'll have to check for the address.) We haven't gotten there yet, but plan to go this spring. This is the exhibit that will travel the nation, beginning in St. Louis, rightfully, since this was a launching point for the expedition. From what I have read, many original artifacts are included-such as the journal with the fish drawing that is included in many books about the journey. We saw some of the artifacts sent back by the Corps to Jefferson when we visited Monticello years ago, and that whetted our appetite for more of the story. Lots of school groups will be attending during the week this spring, but early in the morning or weekends might be less crowded until summer hits. Anyway, some of you may be history buffs. This is a major exhibition to enjoy!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:21 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I'm reviving this thread with a request. We have to wait for summer to get out on the road, so I've been reading campground books for the Colorado-Wyoming-Montana-Idaho areas. We enjoy camping and travel, mountains and rivers, and scenic drives. We usually like to establish camp for a week or so and day trip. Where do you like to go in these areas? Favorite regional destinations or campgrounds? What makes them your favorite? Maybe you'll give us some ideas for our summer destination this year. Thanks!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote