Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Smile Well, John...

we try to pick a different spot for the Jackapalooza event each year, because we get folks from all over the globe. We have quite a few in Canada, so a Wisconsin location could be pretty good. Our challenge has been finding a camping site that will take reservations months ahead, allow dozens of little dogs, has a flat area large enough for our events, and is far enough off the road in case our little terrier friends decide to take off for a run. These little guys are extremely intelligent, but they aren't very car-smart when they get focused on prey. There is a statistic that says something like "85% of all Jack Russells die by getting hit by cars." That said, we rarely let them off leash without close supervision.

Is Wisconsin anywhere near Mackinaw Island? Or is that Michigan? Sorry, my geography stinks. I visited Mackinaw once and it was amazing! I'd love to go back.

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #42
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
close

cherie

well wisconsin is west of mackinaw, on the other end of the u.p. of michigan. the scenery is similar. big water and pines.

our dogs, two big golden retrievers are on the leash at all times unless we are hunting. they are very smart dogs, but not car smart. every time i go out the door with the shotgun, momma reminds me not to come home if any thing were to happen to the babies!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:51 PM   #43
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lola

this is the little (75#!) swamp collie. lolita.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lola on couch.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1283  
Old 01-18-2003, 04:41 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Well, this year we plan 10 days for Bardolino, Italy, in April, and 2 weeks somewhere in Croatia in June.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:30 AM   #45
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
About to leave

We're about to leave Saturday for our first trip since I modified the AS from a dinette layout to a couch layout with a folding table. It will be Kay, myself, and our cat Zoe. One week on the road while I teach computers at the Region 9 Computer Rally at Zavalla, TX, 266 miles from here.

This is my kind of trip ... plenty of time, not one mile of interstate highway, and about 2/3 of the route is new to us. The closest we come to interstates is passing under I35 and I45. Zavalla is in the Angelina National Forest, right on the shores of Lake Sam Rayburn, and right in the area where much of the Columbia debris fell.

We're eager to try out the revised AS floorplan which really feels roomy when the table is folded.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:51 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks for a 9 day trip in early July. My wife is a teacher and has summers off, but she has to take a class this summer, bummer. So I will be taking my 14 yo daughter and her friend. They like horseback riding, swimming, and generally being silly.

I'm also thinking about taking some long weekend trips around Lake Superior - UP of Michigan. Also possibly NE Wisconsin.

Working for a living is a pain!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Springtime Trip

We are planning a trip down the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez this spring. Anyone have any info on where to camp or not to camp? We will be on a loose and variable schedule.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #48
Contributing Member

Natchez Trace

I made the trip, north to south, several years ago and really enjoyed it. I did it in two days with a stop overrnight just north of Jackson, MS.

As I approached Jackson, along the shores of Ross L. Barnet Reservoir, I saw a camping sign and followed it across the reservoir on SR43. A little ways past the bridge, I turned north for a mile or so. The campground is on the left, right on the shore of the reservoir and there were sites open right by the water.

Price was moderate and the campground was plenty nice. It's close into Jackson and Canton if you want to stay local for a while.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-20-2003, 02:57 PM   #49
Contributing Member

More trace

Here's a shot from the top of an Indian mound north of Jackson. Very pretty scenery all the way. The trailer is my former TrailManor 3124K.

The only hazard is finding fuel along the way. I had to stop once and in the small-town service station/convenience store it was difficult to get the truck up to the pumps without blocking everything. If I were to do it again, I would start with a full tank. I did get astounding mileage because of the low speed limit and few starts and stops.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moundview.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1547  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-20-2003, 10:01 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
My wife and I have been discussing this. We are hoping to get the repairs done in time to make a long weekend shake down trip somewhere within 50-100 miles. Not only is the trailer new to us and about to get some major floor work but the tow vehicle will be new to us as well.

Our second trip, if we can get it ready before the kids go back to school, will be to St. George Island FL for a week. We spent a good hour looking of their web site last night discussing it. My wife is looking forward to it in a big way We spent our Honey moon there so we tend to gravitate towards there every couple years when we had the cash to rent a beach house for a few day's. Only down side is the camping is on the bay side.

Next year I want to take a couple longer trips. I like the falling water visit somebody else mentioned. I am a big Frank Loyd Wright fan and would love to see that. We actually have a house designed by one of Wright's students in Cartersville GA. It now the home of a buisness that I do work for from time to time and I got the nickle tour. VERY strong Wright styling. Built in furniature and everything. Just not to the extreme of a true Wright house.
Maybe we will do something where we hop around and see if we can catch a couple of the Wright houses and other interesting places. Maybe run up 85 and start with Ashville for a couple days and hit the Biltmore and work our way up to falling water. Run up to CT and visit my wifes brother for a couple days and come back down the coast Hit DC for a day or two and then come down to Savannah as our last stop. Lived in GA since 79 and I have never been there. Been all up and down the Carolina coasts and Florida but never hit Savannah. But if we start running out of time we can always cut it short and head back. Come back on another trip later and run down the coast to Key west.
Well you folks got me dreaming! I better get started on the repairs soon!
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 06:54 AM   #51
Contributing Member

More Natchez Trace

Dan Brawner

If you have any questions re the Natchez Trace, feel free to PM me with them. I drove the entire Trace with trailer and much of the southern section with passenger car.

Plan to spend a couple of days in Natchez, especially if you are interested in Civil War-era history. It is a neat city.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-21-2003, 07:02 AM   #52
Rivet Master

John,

I sure hope that this current front pushes through before you have to get on the road.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:19 AM   #53
Contributing Member

Clear sailing

We're under a flash flood warning at the moment with intermittent hard rain. Right now, it would take an extra 13 miles each way to get the trailer home to pack it because of two flooded low-water crossings.

It is supposed to be clear by morning and we won't leave until early afternoon at the soonest, so it doesn't look bad at all. If it eases up this afternoon, I'll bring the trailer home; otherwise, I'll get it first thing in the morning. It's cool enough that it won't take long to cool the refrigerator.

We're planning to overnight tomorrow in Bryan, TX. By the time we reach Zavalla, things should have dried out a bit.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-21-2003, 07:49 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Glad some one posted updates. I missed this thread entirely. Since picking up the Bambi in Houston TX on the 17 of Jan, we have spent a three day weekend at Lake Livingston SP, 2 day @ Huntsville SP, 2 Day @ Galveston SP, and tonight we leave for 2 Day @ Huntsville. This time we are using the park and the trailer as our mobile base camp and will be hiking down the Lone Star Hiking trail. We plan on using the trailer a lot before we head out west for either: two (week and a half trips) or one (two and a half week trips). We are currently thinking that we will go to places in the New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado area. I need to stay home one weekend to plan the big trips. We are avid hikers and we will be traveling with our lab puppy (now 6 months). We would like to do some combination of backpacking along with the trailer. Does any one have any suggestions on good campgrounds near some good backpacking country. We also will be spending any available three day weekends visting our daughters in Manhattan, KS and near Little Rock, AR.
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:00 AM   #55
Contributing Member

Soggy

Rod

Good to see you are making good use of the Bambi.

I'm afraid you may have a soggy hike this weekend, though, based on what came (and is still coming) through here. Everything here is super-saturated and all the creeks are over their banks. Two of the four routes away from my home are closed at low-water crossings.

A lot of my favorite hikes are not available after heavy rains because of seasonal creeks flowing.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-21-2003, 08:18 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

We are going to try. I f we find it is an ocean of mud then we will just hang around camp. We know the 7.7 mile trail around the lake is useable in soggy weather because we did it 2weeks ago in a similar weather pattern. And if all else fails we will stay in the bambi and listen to the rain falling on the roof.
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #57
Contributing Member

Rain on the roof

My favorite thing. As a kid, I slept in a loft under a flat roof and I always liked to hear the rain. I still do.

BTW: The rain has slacked way ahead of the predictions. Nothing to the SW on the radar at the moment. All of the low-water crossings are open now. I just brought the trailer home in just a light sprinkle. I was afraid I would have to wait till morning.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-21-2003, 04:12 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

John Irwin,
On the Trace trip, where did you camp? Did you take any side trips off the Trace? Where did you camp in the Natchez area? Did you stop in Jackson at the Airstream dealer? What time of year were you there?
More questions to come later.
Thanks,
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:32 PM   #59
Contributing Member

Natchez Trace

I described one campground near Jackson in a post about 6 posts above.

The other place I camped (twice) is Natchez State Park. I really liked the new section of Natchez state park.

I pretty much stayed on the trace and stopped at a lot of points of interest.

I wasn't into Airstreams then.

I was there May twice and October once.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-22-2003, 06:16 PM   #60
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
light house update

this is the light at poverty island i mentioned earlier.

john
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	poverty1.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1580