Old 01-04-2003, 08:04 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
My wife and I will take our first long trip in the Airstream we bought last fall. We hope to spend time in Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico before returning to home base in Arizona. We don't have a time constraint, but I expect to be away from the hot deserts of Arizona from late May to early October.

I have been gradually preparing the AS for the trip. Just finished inspecting the brakes (in good shape) and repacking the wheel bearings. I have installed solar panels and washed and waxed the trailer. Now all I need to do is wait on the weather.

Les Gilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Similar trip for us as Les'; we are planning to go north in May. It will be our first Airstream trip.........we especially hope to spend time at Whistler Campground in Jasper.

Murphy (cat)
Misty (dog)

Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #17
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
on the other hand....

if we were to go out west this year i thought about doing a sort of history tour.

having been a railroad history buff, going to the sierra nevada moutains and checking out places along the central pacific route would be interesting.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1181  
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:47 PM   #18
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
not in USA...

hi there;
Not in USA, impossible to return there, my boat sunk...
seriously, my goal in buying this silver jewel, was and "ll be to spend my holidays seasons in the south of FRANCE, " la côte d'azur " of course; SAINT TROPEZ exactly ( see picture) where a campground, along the mediterranean sea, is waiting for my familly (and my daughter lizard ). it'll be the first time in a french campground, the last one was a KOA, in Jacksonville, fla ,area in the same Airstream.
Some restauring more and the old silver bullet 'll be ready for that.
it's a trip of 1200 kilometers long, exclusively on highways from north where I live, to south; I dont want to take the picturesque french roads at first... i 'm afraid to be stopped in a small curve village where I can't uturn...
It' s the american dream in FRANCE.

impatient to be there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st tropez yachts1.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1185  
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master
another great trip

Sounds like an awesome trip! Must feel good to tow an A/S through France!

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:02 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
"She Who Must Be Obeyed", Emma the black Labrador retriever & I are going north from Texas; just meandering our way up. Our ultimate destination is South Dakota and North Dakota via whatever interesting places in between. Our "turnaround" point will be to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder home sites. We'll stop in Chicago to see our son, who is a set builder at The Steppenwolf Theatre. He will be moving from his (no pets allowed) 2nd floor apartment to (hopefully) a house/bigger apt. where he can keep Emma; so "She Who Must Be Obeyed" & I will not arrive until after he has moved, then leave Emma. After having moved both of our kids several times each, we have since taken a vow of abstinance!! We will also try to find some drum corps shows to watch in the midwest.
Two Hams in a Can, and Madison the Cocker Spaniel in our 1998 30 ft. Excella, Hensley Arrow Hitch, 2001 Red Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, 8.1L Vortec, Allison Transmission
JeffandSuzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We did a trip up the appalachians from NC to PA, and then down the coast from DE to SC, it was great. Mountains and beaches on one trip. For this year we are talking about going up the middle of the country from here (atlanta) thru Chicagoland to Michigan and upper peninsula.Not sure, but it sounds good as I am the only onein my group to have been there. Might make Canada...

FYI- we were just at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores,'s very nice, 400+ sites, many bathrooms with hot showers, a camp store, a few lakes, nature museum, biking trails, and a short walk/ride to the beach and fishing pier. Great kid friendly park with a number of snow birds stayingfor the winter.
Highly recommend it. Also only 17 dollars a nite.( no sewer hook ups)
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
We're sticking close to home, since we are both still working.

We'll have 2 or 3 one week stays at our favorite beach in So. Cal., plus a few weekend rallies with the South Coast unit.

Also, we're looking forward to the Vintage Vacations weekend in May in Newport Beach.

When we're able to take longer trips I want to see the St. Louis arch and Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" house in Western PA. Then maybe the the Polar Bear caravan to Hudson Bay!

We can dream, can't we?
Phil in Irvine
WBCCI # 9759
2002 34 Slide Out Lounge
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Like Phil in Bellflower........

we are also sticking relatively close to home. I am still a working stiff, commuting to/from Washington, D.C. from south Georgia. My wife will have a little more flexibility as a schoolteacher with a couple of months off to re-charge her batteries. We have two weeks reserved in June at Fort Clinch State Park on Amelia Island, north of Jacksonville, Florida. The river side of the campground is our favorite, as opposed to the beach side which seems to invite the sweat bees and gnats. We also hope to spend a week in July at the WBCCI Airstream park in Helen, Georgia. Other than that, perhaps a weekend trip here or there, depending on where the fish are biting. We can't wait for the next outing, wherever it may be.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
We will be attending the WBCCI National Rally in Burlington, Vermont in June. I expect to travel about 7000 miles in three weeks. I hope to have time to see some sights on the way to/from.
Jerry Sullivan
'01 Limited
'01 Safari
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Destinations Update!!!

Update! Update!! Update!!!

My wife just informed me she doesn't want to wait until we're retired to "see the sights". So we're planning a 3-4 week trip for early summer, 2004.

She's never been anywhere, so we're thinking Grand Canyon, Painter Desert, St. Loius arch, and Fallingwater (western PA.) and everything in between.

Anyone have any advice on trip-planning software for something like this? Or should I start with a trip to AAA to collect maps?

I'm excited!
Phil in Irvine
WBCCI # 9759
2002 34 Slide Out Lounge
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Phil!

RE: Trip Planning Software

For more than seven years, I have relyed on Rand McNally Trip-Maker for planning my various adventures. I generally purchase the new updates when they become available. Purchased the most recent update at Barnes and Noble in Cape Girardeau, MO during the Christmas Holiday. It is easy to use, and since it is on my laptop, it is always handy when I take one of my "Wrong-Way Corrigan" mis-directions - - the later versions include city maps that are generally quite good in addtion to the nation-wide road systems.

I am just getting familiar with its coverage of Canada, but expect that it will be as good as that for the U.S.

The only down-side that I am aware of is that it seems to be available only for Windows platform computers. Depending upon where purchased, the software package with all supplements runs from $39.00 (an extra-special sale price that was only available to educators about two years ago) to $79.00.

AAA also published trip routing software at one time, but I haven't run across it recently in the stores near me. When I tried it, it worked well but it didn't convince me to switch from Rand McNally Trip-Maker.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Still Deciding...

Got out the three calenders and tried to schedule the whole year. Several extended weekend trips to the AZ White Mountains are in order with one including a trip to Cyclone Lake, a private lake on the indian reservation for rent that has rainbows, some Browns and most importantly native Apache trout. We've also been thinking of the Silver Trailer Social in northern CA in the spring or possibly the get together in Estes Park. A fall trip to the San Juan River in New Mexico is also in the plans. I didn't get much fishing in last year putting the 'Silver Slipper' back together so this year I'm making up for lost time.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #28
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

ever fish the black hills in s.d.?

john hd is offline   Reply With Quote