Old 01-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Texas to pick up the trailer undergoing mods/repairs; Bristol Motor Speedway in March; Cherry Blossum Rally in April; Planning stages-New England when things heat up this summer. In the meantime and inbetweentime we can be found at Highland Haven Airstream Park nestled up around the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway near Copper Hill, VA. We hope to see several of you on the road this year. Get those AIR decals on your TVs and Airstreams so we can ID you easily. HAPPY TRAILS

Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We tend to travel only North and South so this year will be a departure for us. First we will go to see the faces in South Dakota. I have always wanted to visit Mt. Rushmore. Second, we will be taking my Son, his wife and our granddaughter out to Maine to celebrate the tenth anniversary of his through hike of the Appalachia Trail. He will recreate the walk up Mt Katahdin but this time will carry his daughter.
The Maine trip is planned but anyone have tips for South Dakota?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Platte Spring just off FS rd 110 above the South Platte in Colorado. The family sedan has made the trip each year with out damage so I hope to be able to get the Minuet servicable and back to the spring. We like to camp there and hike down to the South Platte below Lake George for some fly fishing. Hope to be able to get out more than once for short trips around Colorado and Wyoming. Get a dry fly wet, shoot a few B&W photos or just watch the clouds go by. Don't need to catch any fish to be happy but hooking into a big brown would be nice.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Glacier National Park...and Yellowstone on the way home.. Our tentative plan is to take the Utah route up and the Colorado-NM route home. We'll also do several weekend road trips to the AZ mountains.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Lapstrake Canoes

Your Lapstrakes are beautiful boats Royce.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
In May, caravan with our Lincolnland unit of WBCCI from Peoria to the Tulip Festival at Pella, Iowa. June, a rally at Kentuckiana in Illinois. July the International rally at Perry, Georgia. Aug. Lincolnland rally at Carlock. Sept. Jackson Center, and across to N. Carolina and the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to Wash DC and return. In Oct. all the way across the road behind my house to the Oct. Lincolnland rally in my horse pasture at the Rice
Ranch.

Saddletramp
Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Your Lapstrakes are beautiful boats Royce.
Thanks for the kind words. When you get to the Springs stop by and give one a try.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We tend to travel only North and South so this year will be a departure for us. First we will go to see the faces in South Dakota. I have always wanted to visit Mt. Rushmore. Second, we will be taking my Son, his wife and our granddaughter out to Maine to celebrate the tenth anniversary of his through hike of the Appalachia Trail. He will recreate the walk up Mt Katahdin but this time will carry his daughter.
The Maine trip is planned but anyone have tips for South Dakota?
Spend a night or two in the Badlands. Get a spot at the KOA in Interior SD.
You'll be glad you did.

Second once you see the faces go over and see the new sculpture. I am drawing a blank here, right now. It is of an Indian.

There are some other touristy things there too, Keystone is one. Lots of shops selling a multitude of things.

Walldrug is another thing that comes to mind as well and it is on the way too.

There is a really nice county park just west of the eastern border off I 90. It is called Palisades Park. Very nice place. Grassy sites and full hookups.

There ya go , my .02
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Second the motion on the Badlands. Great erosion, in dire need of Kudzu.
The crazy old indian is Crazy Horse.
regards
Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
The crazy old indian is Crazy Horse.
regards
Thank you ! now I can think of something else now. That was really buggin me.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Chaplain Kent, post16

Chaplain Kent here are some more comments about S. Dak. I presume you will be travelling west on I-90. Stop in Sioux Falls and visit the park for the falls in the Sioux River. at Mitchell visit the Corn Palace, and if you're a sportsman, Cabella's big store. At Chamberlain get off at the rest stop there on the bluff overlooking the Missouri River. You will note an abrupt change in the terrain, the western boundary of the glaciation is evident. We always said this is where the true West begins. From there on, it is known as the West River Country. Ignore the campground in the Badlands Nat. Mon. in preferance for the KOA at Interior as previously recommended. If you are a history buff, go on south to the site of the Wounded Knee Massacre. If you do that, you can approach the Black Hills from Hot Springs. The first site you will encounter will be the Crazy Horse Monument on your right, which you can see from the road with binoculars and a telephoto lens. Custer State Park has nice campgrounds and a monstrous herd of bison. Wind Cave just south of there is very worthwhile. Watch for the wild asses begging along the road, they are very photogenic. Be careful how you approach Mt. Rushmore. The most scenic route is through several tunnels where The Faces are framed through the tunnels as you travel north. Your motor home may be too tall for the tunnel route. You can park your motor home right at the Mt. Rushmore parking lot. Highways to consider in the area are the Needles Highway, (inquire about your motorhome traversing it), US385 to Lead and Deadwwod. The Homestake Gold Mine is also worthwhile. For some variety on the way home consider US85 scenic drive north into N. Dak. and attend the play at Medora, see the N.D. Badlands, the old Teddy Roosevelt Ranch and on to the International Peace Gardens on the 49th parallel on the way back on a northern route. If you return via I-90 across SD a visit to Rapid City could be interesting. Inquire at the tourist office on interesting places to see. Campgrounds are plentiful. A visit to Ellsworth Air Base Museum is well worth while.

Saddletramp
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #26
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rather than I-90, try US Route 2 across the northern tier states. Good road, much more like a journey than what you get on the interstate.

Pat
Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #27
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
In NE

After traveling over 7K last year, we thought we might stay around New England this year. MA for the early spring Chilli Rally, NH for our Wedding Bells Rally (I thin we HAVE to be there), ME for our honeymoon, VT for another rally, NY for the Grey Fox Fetival and then a few trips here in CT. Nothing more than 5 hours away!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal