Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Foley , Alabama
Destination: Black Hills S.D.

Planning to make a trip in the spring of 2014 in May or June. Live in South Alabama. Would appreciate input and insight on best route, roads, things to see, r.v. parks to stay in along the way. Any tidbits of information would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love the Black Hills. Check the weather, as May could be early in those parts and get you into some snow.

Be sure to see all the usual tourist sites, and to drive the Spearfish Canyon scenic byway.

The city park in Spearfish is beautiful, well-kept and clean.

Enjoy!

Maggie

Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
May and/or June is arguably the most beautiful time of year on the high plains approaching the Black Hills. You will find the bloom still on the grasses, water in the wallows and bottomlands, and an abundance of bird and animal life. Since you will be approaching the Hills from the east or south, I would suggest getting off the Interstate highways and taking some of the good federal, state, or county highways. U.S. 20 across northern Nebraska is an especially picturesque drive, delightfully so since you drive through a little-known forested area of northwestern Nebraska. At Chadron you can turn north on U.S. 385 and into the southern Black Hills. Fort Robinson is just west of Chadron--that's where the Lakota Sioux chief Crazy Horse was murdered. You can always take U.S. 18 across southern South Dakota and drive through the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations. One of my favorite drives into the Hills from the east is on State Highway 44, which you can actually pick up east of the Missouri River; but if you're pressed for time, you can reach it from Interstate 90 by dropping south into Badlands National Park. Highway 44 goes through the aptly-named very small town of Scenic, crosses the Cheyenne River and its Fremont Cottonwood-laden floodplain, and follows Rapid Creek all the way into Rapid City. This is the old stage route into the Hills from the East. You will get a completely different picture of South Dakota this way. The subtle-ness of the spring colors, and easy pace of the curvature and inclines of this back road, will prepare you for the transition into the uncommon majesty of the Black Hills themselves. Have a wonderful trip!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
South Dakota is a great state to visit. We have Airstreamed through South Dakota a number of times. Some of the do not miss sights include Sioux Falls. See a Canaries Game if you can. Check out the Corn Palace in Mitchell. Wall Drugs in Wall, South Dakota is a neat place. Custer State Park is a must see with its famous Begging Burros. Of course the Badlands and Mount Rushmore are major attraction. Also check out Deadwood and Lead if you have a chance.

Have a great trip!

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Mick, we made the trip from NE Oklahoma to Mount Rushmore last June. We took hwy 49 out of Joplin to KC, Omaha, Sioux Falls then 350 miles straight across SD to Rapid City. For the most part, the roads were great. The roughest hwy was through Omaha. It was our first long trip so we were worried about finding RV parks and gas along the way. Not to worry. There are plenty of both, especially between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. We used the AllStays app on our IPad to find RV parks and gas where we wanted to stop.
As far as places to see, the Corn Palace & Cabella's in Mitchell, SD, Wall Drug, the Badlands Natl Park, which is a drive-through Park, Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial are all recommended, especially the Crazy Horse Memorial. I would recommend researching each of these on the web to learn about them before you get there. Have a great trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	201343  
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are a few commercial campgrounds in town which are convenient but average.
When I was out there there was a lot of boondocking in smaller federal campgrounds that were vey little used.

2 other things which stand out in my memory is Wind Cave which has a choice of short to long tours. Also there is a cool road through the park which goes through a bunch of tunnels, but don''t bring your stream.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
2 other things which stand out in my memory is Wind Cave which has a choice of short to long tours. Also there is a cool road through the park which goes through a bunch of tunnels, but don''t bring your stream.
Lumatic is referring to Custer State Park - Needles Highway - make this part or your agenda!
If your coming across I-90 from the east then take note when you cross the Missouri River near Chamberlin and how the landscape starts to change.
Like others I also think the route over northern Nebraska is nice - gets you off the interstate as well as HWY 44 from Interior to Rapid City.

Pigtail bridges

Tunnel #3 on the Needles Hwy

looking through a Needles Hwy tunnel.

The local yocals are "friendly"!
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Our usual plan for going out west from Mississippi - as soon as we cross the Mississippi river, start looking for long, straight state roads and get off of the interstate highways!
Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Eastern Colorado, Oklahoma and South Dakota are all great places to slow down and make the journey be part of the vacation.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have a picture of our '77 Barth going thru that very tunnel, crispyboy.

About 6" clearance all the way around. I stepped outside and guided it through.

I have a story about those sweet burros at Custer State Park.

It has to do with a long, black leash that seemed to have been mistaken for a snake...... My first year on blood thinners......

Maggie
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We spent 3 days at Custer this fall on our way down to the balloon festival. The Needles highway is a big loop that goes around Custer State Park. Read up on it because there are a number of tunnels but some of them are too small for trailers. You have to come in at specific spots and drop your trailer at a campground before you drive the entire loop.

It was a spectacular park but I would question early May there. It might be a bit chilly. You have to reserve on line and as I recall they have sites with electricity, water close by and no sewer connections.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
This trip is on our bucket list.., just reading about it on the forum is making me want to go NOW!!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel62 View Post
This trip is on our bucket list.., just reading about it on the forum is making me want to go NOW!!
Hey Laurel can I go to!???
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
We'll be visiting the Black Hills this summer, as well.

Murdo, SD has Pioneer Auto which was a big, eclectic mix of vehicles and a prairie village when I visited in 2000. If you watch the TV show American Pickers there's an episode where they bought a torpedo shaped three-wheeled motorcycle from the place.

Is there a huge open pit mine near Deadwood? Seems I saw something about that somewhere.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
We loved the Black Hills. If you like caves, check out Wind Cave National Park (nice campground for a small National Park), or Jewel Cave National Monument.