Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Denver to Oregon Coast

Looking for suggestions on best route, campgrounds along the way for an August trip from Denver to the Oregon/Washington coast.

Looking to drive about 300 miles per day. One of the reasons for posting is that I am trying to find a campground along I-80 in Wyoming that anyone would recommend that isn't 50 miles off the beaten track, down a gravel washboard road and has no hookups.

Thanks in advance
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi,

Afraid I can't give you ideas on Wyoming camping... but can give you some suggestions on nice places further West. Not sure if you are going to be in a hurry (but assume you are at 300 miles a day...and driving the Interstate...) If you stay on Interstate 80 you will wind up in Reno, Nevada and straight on into California, and then you will have a way to go to get to the Oregon Coast. Is there a particular area along the Oregon Coast you have an interest? I will tell you that during the summer camping spots go fast!!!! So reservations via the Oregon State Campgrounds are highly suggested. If you want to only boondock, there aren't many spots for that along the coast that I have found. However, Oregon State Campgrounds are usually very nice. They often have full hookups with great showers, etc. You can easily search on their website.

If you want to stay on the Interstate, you might consider going north from Boise to I-84 and drive down the Columbia River route, it is very beautiful and has a wide variety of terrain. That will take you to Portland and then you can easily go to the coast from there and drive to your preferred destination.

Great places to also visit would be: Silver Falls State Park (inland from Salem) it is stunning! Astoria is also beautiful, and the entire coast along Hwy 101 in Oregon is fabulous.... but it is a slow road, the road winds and traffic is often heavy and it is often a 2 lane road. There are great lighthouses and historic sites to see along the way. There is one nice campground on the coast that does not have reservations and is on a first come first serve basis: Cape Blanco State Park, but arrive early they fill up fast. There are also Forest Service campgrounds along the way, but are usually off the main road and inland.

Anyway, give us more information on what you want to do, and folks can probably give you solid suggestions! Happy Travels!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks. I am leaning toward the Boise route as CA is not on the radar for this trip. Thanks for the insights. Very helpful.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Thanks. I am leaning toward the Boise route as CA is not on the radar for this trip. Thanks for the insights. Very helpful.

Just outside of Boise, Airstreams are welcome up to 3 nights no charge. Full hookups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	316325Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3039.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	316326Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3057.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	316327
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Suggest 40 west instead of the Interstates. Higher passes in CO (you can head north out of Silverthorne to avoid Berthoud) but much more relaxed driving and things to see. Somewhere near Craig might be your first stop and there are nice State parks along the way. Dinosaur Quarry is awesome if you like seeing old bones. Then connect to 84 (to avoid going clear through SLC) into Idaho and Oregon and along the Snake and Columbia. Twin falls is worth a look. Stop in and say hi when you pass through Hood River. Lots to see and do here before you head off to the coast.
All the best,
Hein & Kim
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Just outside of Boise, Airstreams are welcome up to 3 nights no charge. Full hookups.

Attachment 316325Attachment 316326Attachment 316327

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Have you planned your round-trip route? As if you take I-84 into Portland, and then US30 to Astoria you could take 101 down the coast, and then cut back inland via only a few highways...and rather than entirely backtracking you could cut through the Cascades into the Sisters/Bend/Sunriver area as well.

In Idaho there are some county/city camp grounds, though I am not sure if there is any central place to look for them other than the various apps/sites that try to list all camp grounds (e.g. Allstays, Ultimate Public Campgrounds app, etc).

There was a thread with some suggestions for places along I-84 to stop for people that went to the rally in Salem on the way to Boise: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...se-182709.html

This thread for options close to Portland if you want to visit: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nd-178553.html

There is also this thread discussing options along the coast: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-174387.html

Though after reading your post again, it sounds like you will take a more northern route on your loop in order to hit WA. WA is on our list to start exploring next year, so I don't have much direct guidance there.

I would personally appreciate seeing any suggestions for spaces you pick along the way, as we may make the reverse route in the future to visit friends in Denver (or to have them meet us along the way).
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Riverside RV Park in Kemmerer is not fancy, but pretty nice. Handy to fossil beds id you want to chip out your own, and to Fossil Butte National Monument which is worth an hour or two.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Several KOAs (Lyman-Rock Springs), Phillips in Evanston (noisy), Western Hills in Rawlins (gravel lot but reasonably quiet). I80 through WY is long and dull, but efficient to make miles. Watch for the wind. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #10

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Van Nuys , California
Campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Looking for suggestions on best route, campgrounds along the way for an August trip from Denver to the Oregon/Washington coast.

Looking to drive about 300 miles per day. One of the reasons for posting is that I am trying to find a campground along I-80 in Wyoming that anyone would recommend that isn't 50 miles off the beaten track, down a gravel washboard road and has no hookups.

Thanks in advance
Dana
In Rock Springs right off the highway there are the fairgrounds they have camping with full hook ups they have 50 amp service. It’s right off the highway not too far from Walmart some other things to do in town as well . Last year the price was $25 a night
Skylane246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
If you decide to cross the Cascades on the Santiam Pass and plan to visit Silver Falls State Park, you could stay at our farm--free! , and visit the Falls w/o dragging your trailer up the curves. We have a 7 acre "park" on Butte Creek outside Silverton / Mount Angel Oregon.

Dave and Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Colorado to Oregon - Just did this trip!!

We did this trip, and enjoyed every bit of it as far as we were able. Here is our route!

From Denver, we took I70 to HWY 40, stayed overnight at Yampa State Park, it was nice, clean and quiet.

Then stayed on HWY 40 West to Vernal in Utah where we went north on HWY 191 and stayed at the Buckboard Crossing Campground in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Great campground in Wyoming. Also toured the Flaming Gorge and Dam while there. Very nice, we took the time to look around.

We continued on HWY 191 to I80 west to Hwy 30 north. Stay on HWY 30 to Cokeville, WY, and into Montpelier, ID. We stayed at the KOA which was great with a spot next to a stream and very quiet.

From Montpeilier, stay on HWY 30 to Soda Springs, and stop to see the Soda Springs Geyser. Then continue west on HWY 30 to I15 North to I84 west. We then stayed three days at Massacre Rocks State park just off of I84. Great campground with very interesting Ranger lead events. We also used that as a home base to explore the Pocatello area including the Idaho Potato Museum in Blackfoot.

Then continued on I84 west to the Farewell Bend State Park in Oregon. This is a great campground, try an get a spot on the far east right on the Snake River. Great quiet and scenic place.

Head west on I84 to Baker City. Stayed at the Mtn view Trav-l Park. OK for an overnight. Nice town, with the only micro-Brew "Drive-Thru" Growler Fill Station we have ever encountered!!

West on I84 up to the Columbia River. We stayed at multiple private and state parks along the Columbia River, on both the Oregon and Washington sides of the river. Lots of scenic drives, museums, Lock&Dams and Salmon ladders, etc.

We then planed to take HWY 30 out of Portland along the river to Astoria and down HWY 101 to Seaside, but needed to unexpectedly get back to Colorado.

It has been almost 3 years since we did this trip, and we did very few reservations in advance unless we wanted to stay the same place for more than 3-4 days. We were almost always able to find a place to camp in state parks, County Parks, or commercial campground.

My 2cents
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
The Oregon HWY 101 coastal trip is a beautiful drive well worth including in your planning. Oregon State Parks are great but reservations are recommended during the high season. We didn't book early enough this year, but found Sunday night through Thursday night stays are generally available. The Carl G. Washburne State Park north of Florence, OR is all first-come-first-serve as well Cape Blanco and sections of other parks which you will see on the Oregon State Park website. If you do take the trip down the coast there are many good routes east to get you back home. Good luck in your planning and enjoy!
Old 07-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
You might look into the Allstays app for your phone. It will show you most all of the options for camping on whatever route you chose, and link you to reviews of those campgrounds. It also shows rv repair places, parts, Wallmarts, truck stops... Well worth adding to your tool kit.

Mike

PS, the comments about getting reservations for the coastal state parks are correct. While you might get lucky, it's getting increasingly difficult to get into the prime spots in the summer on the very popular Oregon coast. If you stay in South Beach, in Newport OR, do not miss taking the tour of the Rogue Brewery in Newport. Well worth the time.
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Lady's Island , South Carolina
Late to the party, but looking for similar advice

Leaving SC soon, heading West.
No particular route or agenda, but would like to be in the Mt Shasta area on/about 7/23.
Open to thoughts/suggestions.
booma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Goal15-You might want to try Cape Disappointment SP in SW Washington. In Astoria, you might want to visit the Columbia River Maritime Museum. Also, not far away is the Lewis and Clark national historic park. The State Parks in Oregon are very well run. You could have trouble getting spots this time of year though.

Booma-Just outside Lassen NP is Volcano Country RV. Some sites back up to an open meadow. It's a bit on the rustic side but we enjoyed our stay there. (spot 10)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have stayed at a private CG in Cheyenne and the koa in Laramie. If you want to try dry camping, Vedawoo is awesome and right off the interstate between Cheyenne and Laramie
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lander, Wy has free overnight camping in the city park. No hookups.
There are 2 private RV parks on the south end of town and a great steak house on the south side as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We are very appreciative of all the great suggestions and invitations. Got tow mirrors put on our second Tundra today so we are getting geared up. Have also cut down mileage goals a bit, after all, what's the hurry?

Dana
Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
hi

so how are US 20 and Oregon 26 as far as roads go?

Dana