Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
North augusta , South Carolina
Dempster highway

Anyone traveled to the Arctic Ocean via the Dempster Highway? Looking at a possible 2019 trip. Is this doable towing our 27 ft, with 2500 Ram diesel?
Medjrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We did it last year but only went a short distance into the artic circle due to time. We have a 27 with a Ford 250 diesel. There were some rough patches ( well marked) but we went slow there and no problems. You’ll get road dust in your trailer! Here’s the blog my husband I’d on our road trip up the highway. https://travelwiththeslowskys.com/20...ers-june-2017/
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
We did the entire Dempster last June to Inuvik (end of the road at the time). Great trip but I would not do it again. We had no mechanical issues (we ran new Michelin's on both the truck and trailer with TST T-507 TPMS). The dust was OK northbound in terms of drivability for us because there was no traffic - like 1.5 hours seeing no one. Despite that the trailer was loaded with dust on arrival in Inuvik. As a result of that we duct taped every exterior seam and vent on the way back from Inuvik to Dawson. When we untaped everything we had almost an inch of dust on everything. It was like very fine ash. It took us 5 days to clean it in Dawson and we had a vacuum. We still find dust. We used a 2011 GMC 4X4 Duramax and pulled a 2014 FC. The front of the trailer looked like it had severe ache. Since then I have heard of people welding supports to the tongue and bolting a full sheet of plywood across the front of the trailer. There was more traffic on the way back. Whenever you passed someone it took a long time for the dust to settle. You could not see at all in the mean time. I sail and it was way worse than fog. I would do the trip but leave the trailer. Overnight in the middle at Eagle Plains. We had no dust in the truck.
RubyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Great drive but DONOT take your airstream.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote