Old 05-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Another thing I like about the GPS/map systems is the POI (points of interest) feature. It's fun to pick a point on the map and find every museum, marina, art gallery, Sam's Club and Burger King within x mile radius.

I think MS S&T has a lot more points than DeLorme in that feature.

I just plotted a course around Lake Minnetonka, then drove it to check the accuracy of the GPS. I think I could cover the windshield with newspaper and drive the course next time just watching the icon on the laptop. Now THATS driving blindfolded. All kidding aside, I think it will be great for driving at night or in a thunderstorm, when you can't always see the signs clearly.

It only cost $99.99 for the GPS receiver and software. If you don't have a laptop it would be a lot more.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Jeanerette , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I bought a copy of DeLorme today. What a piece of crip. Ugliest interface I've ever seen.

But I did figure out how to set the route preferences. If you go to the 'route' tab, then 'advanced', then 'route prefs', you will get to the routing screen. Start at the top, with 'Limited Access Roads', increase the speed to 70 mph, set the 'Routing Preference' to preferred, and click on the 'Done' button.

Do the same with Toll Roads, National Highways, etc. I think that 'out of the box' the National Highways are 'shorter' than the Insterstates, and since they had equal preference they are chosen based on distance.
Hi Mark. Thanks for the info about route setting in the 2005 Delorme. It is giviing me fits.
I had the Limited Access Roads already set, then I increased the speed to 70 mph as you indicated, set the "Routing Preference" to prefered, then Done.
Then you said to do the same with Roll Roads, National Highways, etc. Can you do this setting and still keep the Limited Access Roads too. I'm about ready to dump this program. Too bad I spent a lot of money on the laptop to use with it.HelP?

Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Dee
I had the Limited Access Roads already set, then I increased the speed to 70 mph as you indicated, set the "Routing Preference" to prefered, then Done.
Then you said to do the same with Roll Roads, National Highways, etc. Can you do this setting and still keep the Limited Access Roads too. I'm about ready to dump this program. Too bad I spent a lot of money on the laptop to use with it.HelP?
Do you tow at 70 mph? If you do you shouldn't! If you don't, you should set the program speeds to whatever average speed you tow on a given road type. Better set them a bit too low than too high. The set speeds make a big diffference in route choice and in the estimated enroute times. I find the program to be quite accurate when the speeds are carefully set.

Granted, the interface sucks, but the DeLorme program is really on a par with MS S&T; each program has its own strengths and weaknesses and each program may have a new road not present on the other (or conversely, a routing error not present in the other).
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
Mike & Dee,

Like John says, you should set the speeds at appropriate levels for your travel plans. I think the important part is changing the route preference from 'standard' to 'preferred'.

I'm very happy with MS Streets&Trips, after three days on the road it had gotten me 'unlost' three times.

Haven't noted any coding errors, but it did miss one construction zone. MS updates construction zones every few days.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
If only "Google's"map program would work with gps....Now that would be a combination~!!
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
It took a long time to really know "Street Atlas" I finally printed out the manual for easy reference and that helped a lot.
You do have to carefully review your route but is a good program once you invest the time to manage the software. I also agree the older version with the Windows interface was a lot more user friendly.

Garry
Old 06-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Well, we just drove the Alaska Highway using the DeLorme GPS and Streets program. There is a big chunk of the highway from the Alaska border to Tok that doesn't seem to be charted properly, telling us frequently we are "Off Route" and recalculating the trip. Kinda hard to be off route when there's only one road!

Now what I like about the GPS is the constant readout of the elevation and longitude and lattitude (and the driver's speed!)

Paula
Old 06-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Minor gliches aside - like Mary telling me to turn right when I should turn left, incomplete sentences when approaching a turn, difficulty in erasing a current map file to permit starting a new route, etc. - I still love the DeLorme program and I find it's presence, via the laptop alongside on the center console, to be comforting. Generally speaking, I've found the program to be relatively user-friendly. Southerly, and Westerly, routes seem to be the most stable here in the Northeast, with respect to the occasional lost of the GPS signal. The "lost" seldom lasts more than five minutes or so at the extreme. One thing I've noted is that an actual ramp entrance - and the distance thereto indicated by the map, can be considerably different. You have to pay attention to the Exit data on the screen, in concert with the road signs, in order to insure that you don't miss a ramp entrance. This often happens when the traffic is exited early onto a parallel access road.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Jeanerette , Louisiana
Help Again! Just When I Think I Have The Delorme Streets Usa Maybe Figured Out, I Run Up Against A Puzzle. Tonight I Tried To Do A Route From Jeanerette, La. To Huntsville, Alabama, Via Jackson, Ms. For Both Huntsville And Jackson, I Get The Message "not Enough Information". What More Can They Want! Dee And Mike
Old 06-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Dee
Help Again! Just When I Think I Have The Delorme Streets Usa Maybe Figured Out, I Run Up Against A Puzzle. Tonight I Tried To Do A Route From Jeanerette, La. To Huntsville, Alabama, Via Jackson, Ms. For Both Huntsville And Jackson, I Get The Message "not Enough Information". What More Can They Want! Dee And Mike
I have used the program ever since it first came out and I never have had that message. I just put in the route you described and it routed perfectly. I did just select an arbitrary intersection in Jeanerette, my old house in Huntsville, and an interstate exit dot in Jackson.

Perhaps you selected a specific start or an end spot that is in error in the DeLorme data. I would move start and finish to major intersections and see if it works then. If it does, then move the start and end back to the original place one at a time to determine at which end the error might be. I always report errors via the DeLorme website.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Not unusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienjim
Well, we just drove the Alaska Highway using the DeLorme GPS and Streets program. There is a big chunk of the highway from the Alaska border to Tok that doesn't seem to be charted properly, telling us frequently we are "Off Route" and recalculating the trip. Kinda hard to be off route when there's only one road!
Paula
The road to my house was mis-coded for a couple of years. Odd thing was that when I tested my OnStar, they had the same error and claimed that I was in the next subdivision. The next year DeLorme was correct and the OnStart was correct a year later.

Now, I have an in-car navigation system by Cobra that has the same error. My street is correct at my end but soon is about a hundred yards off for the rest of its 1-mile length. It drives "Mary" absolutely crazy!
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #26
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
So is Rand McNally's Road Trips any good compared to Street Atlas or Microsoft's Streets and Trips? Planning a trip this summer from Austin,TX to Yellowstone. I am concerned about the mountainous roads in Colorado and New Mexico. Thx Dennis Sneed 34' Classic with F250 diesel
Old 06-14-2005, 09:22 PM   #27
Site Team

, Minnesota
Why go through New Mexico? If you go through Wichita it's shorter and flatter.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
So is Rand McNally's Road Trips any good compared to Street Atlas or Microsoft's Streets and Trips? Planning a trip this summer from Austin,TX to Yellowstone. I am concerned about the mountainous roads in Colorado and New Mexico. Thx Dennis Sneed 34' Classic with F250 diesel
From Austin, I go through Abilene, around Lubbock, and on north through Amarillo. You can choose flatter roads through eastern Colorado, or Raton Pass. Raton Pass is a non-event in my opinion, but that pretty much forces you to go through Denver.

I recently mapped the same trip since I love Yellowstone and my wife has never been there. In the past, I took my 25-foot sailboat to Yellowstone Lake every year when I lived at Carter Lake, near Loveland. I heartily recommend you avoid Denver; you can miss Denver to the east if you take the eastern route rather than Raton Pass.

Take 287/26 through Wyoming; not a bad road. Expect a major mountain pass going into the Grand Teton Park south of Yellowstone. When towing the sailboat, I always shifted my Blazer into low range to go over that pass.

I liked to come out of Yellowstone through Cody and stop at the museum there. It takes most of a day to go through the museum.

WBCCI #9632