Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Dec 1 trip Bend, OR to Chicago Advice

I am currently in Oregon and plan on leaving about Dec 1st from Bend, OR and heading home to Chicago. We have a Ford F-150 2X2 towing a 25FB.
I have had advice to take I90 East, crossing from Spokane, WA to Missoula and continuing on I90. However, I am considering leaving from Bend, OR taking Hwy 20 East to I84, then picking up I80 at Salt Lake City and taking I80 to Chicago.
I understand blowing snow can be an issue on the flat lands. We have some time to hold up if bad weather is predicted.
I am unsure of the I84 to I80 section thru the mountains.
Advice and suggestions welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I-84 across ID is a good highway with moderate grades. Going around Salt Lake to I-80 is good highway as well. You also have Stinkwater Pass on OR 20 which is fine when dry. BUT, it all depends on the weather. The flatland can be worse than the mountains with snow, wind and ice. If you need to hold up, you may not be able to find a place with hookups to run your heat. If you need to stay in a hotel, you might need to blow out your waterlines to avoid freezing pipes. Do you have a compressor?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Don I'm sure many will reply but, based on your post being 19 hours ago you are likely looking at the storm that just dumped several feet. Seems like your route will be totally dependent on weather. Safe travels

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I live just east of Missoula right off I90. If you decided on this route you have a few "major passes" that could be problematic. I might add that I've driven to and from Montana four times over the past three years. Twice in the winter and once with our AS.

Coming from the west you have 4th of July and Freedom pass. Both of those are constant winter issues. At Butte when crossing the Continental Divide is another issue to watch. Continuing east between Butte and Bozemen shouldn't be a problem. However the stretch between Bozemen and Billings could be problematic....especially when you cross the pass at Livingston. Beautiful area but even on the clearest of days it is subject to "extreme high winds".. There is signage as you approach this area and it will tell you to drop down and go thru Livingston. Wind speeds at the top of Livingston pass can approach 100 mph.

Once you are south of the state and on the plains you just need to watch the weather very carefully. Take your time....did I say take your time? You're not going to make a lot of distance daily . Don't make the same mistake I recently made when pulling east to Southern West Virginia. It turned into a "nightmare"....and this was late September early October. Upon our return,Big Timber which is between Billings and Livingston had already received 10 inches of snow although the roads had been cleared.

Even though your not going to be pulling...at least I hope not...your trailer "in the snow" I would add a set of "tire chains" for your TV just incase you get caught in a bad situation.

I've said it once already but I'll add it again. Plan on taking your time and "enjoy" your trip it's going to be an "adventure" at this time of the year.

One thing I might add...I traveled Iowa from end to end on I80. I used to live in Iowa and I can tell you traversing I80 is now the "worse interstate highway" I have ever travelled. It is bumper to bumper. That at high speed is a disaster waiting to happen.

If Chicago is your home...your familiar with what to expect there. It's either no snow at all or way too much at one time.

Good Luck on your trip. And should you come by exit 126 east of Missoula on I90..."honk your horn". I live way up on the mountains and I can see 90 about a mile away down in the valley.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Your best friends for this trip are internet access, weather forecasts, weather doppler radar and a full tank of propane. If OR 20 is passable, you would avoid Cabbage Hill east of Pendleton, where we have seen I84 closed due to snow in early June.
Having made several winter trips from the west coast to Nebraska in December, we favor going the I84-I80 route. If you have to stop over, the Salt Lake valley offers a more temperate climate than any place on I90. You can stay there until a weather window opens to travel across Wyoming. If possible, plan on driving through Wyoming in one day.
Wyoming and western Nebraska close off I80 if conditions warrant. Major snow storms like blizzards roll fast from the NW across Nebraska.
Look ahead at major cities' forecasts along your route. Look at what the overnight lows would be. Weather forecasting & information is far superior today. Stay warm! Carry chains for both trailer & truck. Safe travels!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
this time of year....I would fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDiego View Post
I am currently in Oregon and plan on leaving about Dec 1st from Bend, OR and heading home to Chicago. We have a Ford F-150 2X2 towing a 25FB.
I have had advice to take I90 East, crossing from Spokane, WA to Missoula and continuing on I90. However, I am considering leaving from Bend, OR taking Hwy 20 East to I84, then picking up I80 at Salt Lake City and taking I80 to Chicago.
I understand blowing snow can be an issue on the flat lands. We have some time to hold up if bad weather is predicted.
Thanks in advance.
Good luck! I drive back and forth to MT from TX each Christmas with my 4x4 F150, without the AS and I would not consider pulling this time of year on that route. The roads I take from TX can have black ice, high winds, snow "snakes" blowing across highway in TX, CO, WY and Billings area can be treacherous enough without towing. Safety this time of year is my biggest concern. I see several big rigs on their sides along the road from December thru March in the areas mentioned...also in TX by the way. What ever you do, check roads ahead of time and be safe.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I-84 across ID is a good highway with moderate grades. Going around Salt Lake to I-80 is good highway as well. You also have Stinkwater Pass on OR 20 which is fine when dry. BUT, it all depends on the weather. The flatland can be worse than the mountains with snow, wind and ice. If you need to hold up, you may not be able to find a place with hookups to run your heat. If you need to stay in a hotel, you might need to blow out your waterlines to avoid freezing pipes. Do you have a compressor?
Mojo, thanks for the info. I do winterize on the fly with rv antifreeze via a bypass valve.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Patrick, thanks for all the info.
I shall be towing, but hope to avoid I90. And we shall be in no hurry at all. So if conditions are not good, I shall stay put. And if they are good, I shall travel slow and cautiously.
Black ice is my biggest concern and uncertain mountain passes next... as I have not towed them.
Thanks again
Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Great info and I shall heed all.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
My advice is to wait until June 15th.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Yamhill , Oregon
Don, run over to Discount Tire and get a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks for all four on your tow rig. Then I would go to Les Schwab and get one set of drag chains for your trailer. That setup will let you safely get off the road if it gets ugly. Discount will price match Costco, and they offer a lot better and faster service.

I've been running Blizzaks for about six years now going back and forth from the valley to Bend in the winter. They are terrific tires for snow and ice. That said you still have to drive safely.
Rob Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Weather permitting, of course, you may want to consider staying on US 30, through Pocatello, Soda Springs, Montpelier, and Kemmerer, before it joins I-80 west of Green River. This route generally follows the railroad. You can also avoid I-80 over Elk Mountain (between Rawlins and Laramie) by staying on US 30 through Medicine Bow, as it again follows the railroad. Having said that, unless the conditions are undeniably clear, be very careful crossing Wyoming.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Have a Safe Trip.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I purchased my trailer last year, and went to pick it up in Salt Lake City, driving from Denver, the first week of December. I went across I-80 from Cheyenne. It was a nightmare even without the trailer. The wind creates black ice, and there isn't much equipment out there to do anything about it. Solid line of semi's the whole way with several road closures while they cleared off accidents. I would NEVER tow a trailer in the winter across it.

We waited a couple of days in Salt Lake for clear weather, then towed it back on I-70 through Colorado. Vail Pass is the main issue, but with good weather it was fine. I second the Blizzak suggestion, they make a remarkable difference if you insist on trying this trip.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Take I-84, then I-80. Look for an open weather window, wait a couple of days, and you can make it. It should just take you 4 days. Be aware that a lot of weather coming from the north does not affect our Bend-Idaho-Utah-Wyoming-western Nebraska stretch, but hit can hit you hard further east. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
You said you "can hole up if necessary" Instead, drop down and take a southern route, I-40 or better I-10. You have been advised by several folks about the conditions of I-80 & I-90, which I won't repeat, but agree. Your AS, TV and life are worth more than a direct route to Chicago. GO SOUTH YOUNG MAN!!!
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
GO SOUTH YOUNG MAN!!!
I wholehearted agree with this if the weather looks iffy. Any route out of Bend can be tough going east if the storm gods get their hackles up.

If you don't mind adding several days to your trip you might look at US 97 south to I-5 around Weed, then down to I-40 and east from there. At least you'd avoid most of the tricky mountain passes.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #18
Zak
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tupelo , Mississippi
Be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDiego View Post
Thanks in advance.
You might also think about the salt from the roads that will get on your AS. Please let us know you made it okay.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
...we have a ford f-150 2x2 towing a 25fb.
2wd?

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Grandpa Don; congrats. Congrats to you too, Lana
Check weather channel and go from there.
Mike & Dana
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote