Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Death Valley NP

I am thinking about a trip to DV for about a week around Christmas and New Year's. Meeting my grandkids there so will need to also set up a tent.
What are your campground recommendations and advice?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We'll be following your down there in February! We can't report yet from experience, but we made a reservation at the Furnace Creek CG via the on-line link at the Death Valley nps.gov site, because they take reservations. According to the NPS website, Death Valley is a winter park, in terms of their high season.

We also made a reservation at the RV park in nearby Shoshone, CA figuring we'd want a few days for laundry and wi-fi before heading over to Nevada. The staff person there warned me that it is a very small place, with few services. So we're planning to stock up on food and water before we get to DV.

I also searched this site, and found a few threads with Death Valley info.

Hoping to learn something from the more experienced Death Valley campers on this thread.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I was thinking of going there next month, but it just won't fit in. On the west side, up the grade, is a private CG with more services than Furnace Creek at Panamint Springs Resort.

DV is cool (except in the summer) and well worth the visit. We haven't been there with the trailer, so I'll be interested to see what is recommended.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
To fine tune my post a bit, I guess I am interested mainly in 2 things:
1;Will I need reservations for Furnace Creek for Christmas/ New Years or maybe Easter week for a site I can also set up a tent on a surface other than rocks.
2. Recommendations for staying at more off the beaten track sites with my Airstream, especially near the Racetrack.

PS I have a 25 foot Tradewind and a 2wd F250
Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We went in April of 2011 and stayed in Furnace Creek because we could get a reserved spot. We picked one (site 122) at the edge of the campground so that we'd have views of mountains and not other campers.

Details here: Tin Pickle Adventures: Death Valley 2011
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Lumatic,

It's been a few years since I've been there, but of the two sites at Furnace Creek, I prefer the one on the west side of the highway. The other site is up higher, so the view is better, but on the west side you can find a few spots amid the creosote bushes that feel more welcoming.

In the second photo I've tried to point out that there are sites that might be more private and more amenable to a tent. Check with the Park to see if an RV and tent are allowed together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace creek.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	170779

Name:	furnace creek camp.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	170780

There are other RV locations. In the north end of DV at the other airport (cottonwood, I believe) it's pretty bleak, but if you're there for photography that's where the best dunes are.

Name:	cottonwood.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	170781

There's also Panamint Springs, which is in the next valley to the west, but still part of the Park. However, it's over a fairly high pass and really outside of the park experience.

Name:	panamint springs.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	170782

Going further west, I always visit Darwin, a semi-ghost town where most of the inhabitants have underground homes. There is a 1947 Airstream in town that always fascinates me. If you go from Darwin to Panmint Springs on the Old Toll Road (not a good trailer road, but OK for a pickup), you will find an incredible mile long stretch of river that emerges from the ground, then disappears.

Name:	darwin 2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	170783

Then, of course, there's the recently (like 20 years) added part of the Park, the Saline Valley. Getting from the south is risky (I broke a wheel on my Caravel) and the north road is washboard, but it's a fascinating, remote place. You wouldn't want to miss the nude hot springs, would you? Or for a history buff (no pun intended), the old salt tram still has some of the cables and buckets hanging between the towers. Salt went over the ridge to Owens Lake, then by steamer to the other side, then by rail to L.A. The north and south roads into the Saline Valley define the west edge of Death Valley National Park. If you only get to the "high camp" (this initial part of the south road is relatively passble) you will find a small miracle--a camping spot that overlooks the Panamint Valley from above 5,000 feet.

Name:	saline valley.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	170784

Name:	saline detail.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	170785

And while you're there, why not get up to Mono Lake. You could go over the mountain west to Yosemite, or east to Tonopah and then across some pretty lonely but awesome volcanic areas to St George and home.

Name:	the easy chair-s.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	170786

Or even Bode ghost town? You may never get back to New Mexico!

Zep
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
...off the beaten track sites with my Airstream, especially near the Racetrack...
Whoa, the Racetrack? I've seen the road in from both ends (Saline and Ubehebe) and I don't think you're getting in there with the Airstream. Well, you could get in, but take two spare tires, a shovel, and a pick. I thnk the entry from Ubehebe Crater is the much better choice.

And let me know how it is.

As far as off the beaten path camping goes, many Parks allow "dispersed camping." Ask the Park if there are areas in the Park where this is allowed. I know it's allowed in Marble Canyon, which is off the road near the Cottonwood Station (on the road to Panamint). All the land east of highway 395 is essentially National Park, National Forest, or BLM, except on either side of 395 itself.

I'm a fan of remote camping, but what I found in Death Valley itself is you want to be at Furnace Creek.

I have some JPEG maps that show the land ownership. Send me your email (zep@airstreamdoctor.com) and I'll send you a copy.

Zep
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
This looks like another cool place to check out, thanks for all the info.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Lynn and I spent part of our honeymoon there.......in February 1969. We towed a small trailer. After 2 beautiful (weather) days it began to rain....and rain....and rain. Not a good place to be when it rains. Cars, trailers began sinking in wet sand. We escaped to Disneyland. Rained there too. We've had some 'rain' during our 43 years together. A little rain is good.
Before I met Lynn I visited DV every spring. Love the place. Saw all the spots already mentioned. February is a good time weather wise..not too cold...not too hot....sometimes it rains. After the rains the Valley bursts forth with more flowers than you can imagine.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan10073.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	170789  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I love the image and thinking of you guys traveling in that rig, is it a '62 Bonneville? and what is the tailer? Must've been a fun way to spend a honeymoon, rain or no rain.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Zep, thanks for all the cool pointers! 'been to DV several times in winter. We find furnace creek on the depressing side: crowded, expensive, noisy, ... Good when just sleeping there and spending the days away.

We've towed our AS from furnace creek to the eureka dunes, which was quite a trek but quite doable if going slowly. The dunes are awesome and so remote. We wished we had time to sleep there, but we had to move on. Dunno whether it's so much worse going to the racetrack. I'd check out where dispersed camping is allowed and where side roads leave the main road: you may not have to go that far to be able to get off the road for boondocking. Something best explored when on-site...

The park does allow dispersed camping but excludes very specific areas. It's well described on the park site if you search for dispersed camping. The area that has intrigued me is camping off the west road (the dirt road that goes along the west side of the valley). Dispersed camping is allowed along the roads that go from there into the canyons to the west starting at a specific distance from the west road (sorry, I forget the exact distance). I've been wanting to explore which of them allows me to tow the AS far enough to meet the distance. Perhaps this winter I'll get there...
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I love the image and thinking of you guys traveling in that rig, is it a '62 Bonneville? and what is the tailer? Must've been a fun way to spend a honeymoon, rain or no rain.
The car is a '62 Grand Prix. I loved that car but had to sell it 2 years later when our first (daughter) was on the way. The trailer was a '67 Scotsman.....a rental.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
Zep, thanks for all the cool pointers! 'been to DV several times in winter. We find furnace creek on the depressing side: crowded, expensive, noisy, ... Good when just sleeping there and spending the days away...
All good inputs, thanks. The only time I was in the park with an Airstream, it was the second week of December and not many visitors were there. You'd think that would be the time to go, but in previous trips in a tent I was surprised to find that many foreign tourists want to be there when it's 120+ in the shade (what shade, one asks). It's easy to get to dispersed camping when all you have is a tent.

It occurs to me to mention Cero Gordo, an old mine worth visiting. I've gone over the top from Keeler on Cero Gordo road and down the east side of that ridge in a Grand Am, but this is one road I wouldn't take a trailer on. As a matter of fact, getting up to the mine from Keeler is one of my favorite white knuckle trips, due to the steep dropoffs here and there.

Zep
Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Love DV!
Gas prices there are out of this world even by CA prices tho...

Dont take your trailer to Racetrack!

Pic from my first trip to the Race Track... Teakettle Junction..

We went to Racetrack from the Crater end... My Suburban is only 2wd, and did fine... we slept in her overnight. You just need some ground clearance and tire sidewall for the cobbles... its pretty washboarded... we dropped the tires to 15psi which kept the fillings in our teeth!

Every time I camped there, it was super windy.... batton everything down!

We camped at Wildrose, which was quieter, but one time it rained there so hard it was like sleeping in a drum! We actually got so freaked out about a flash flood.., we packed up quickly about 2am and moved the Suburban... only so see others doing the same! 15 mins later water was gushing where we had been parked!

Bodie Ghost Town is a must see if you have time, but check it will be open... it was one of teh State Parks that was hit by funding closures I think.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Death Valley at Christmas

Lumatic,

I've stayed many times at either Panamint or Lone Pine during Christmas week and not had a problem getting a site.

I like Panamint a bit better due to it's more remote feeling. Yes it's just off the highway but if you get a site facing north up the valley you experience some great views. They have 12 full hook up sites and showers and the bar and restaurant accross the road has good food.
$30 a night plus $5 extra for each dog you bring.

If anyone is interested, I'm staying this year at the Boulder Creek RV park just south of Lone Pine on 395 during Christmas week. I plan on being there the nights of Dec. 22, 23, 24 and 25. I plan a day trip into DV but mostly kicking around the LP area and the Eastern Sierra.

If you ever get a chance take the drive up to the Cerro Gordo ghost town just up the grade from the little town of Keeler. I was friends with the owners Jodi Stewart and her husband Mike Patterson. They have both since passed away and are both buried on the town site. I stayed once in the old bunk house and the American hotel.

I don't know if both are still available for sleep over's but check with Sean Patterson prior to going up and when you get there check in with the caretakers. Sean's number is 661-303-3622.

Easter week is another great time to go due to the great weather and wildflower season gets awfully crowded.

Enjoy,

Jack Dog (Michael)
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Furnace Creek was a great campground for us. Bring your sticks if you play golf - there is s golf course right in the valley, although we had company napping on one of the holes. We were there at Thanksgiving and had great weather. We loved Death Valley!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	171642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	171643  

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	171644  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
If you're taking a tent for the kids, be advised: It gets really, really cold (muy frio) at night. Keyair is right. Gas is expensive. We camped at Tecopa Hot Springs. Hot water for soaking, Date Ranch- kids would enjoy. Groceries and much cheaper gas in Pahrump NV. Here is a link to my post on this. No matter where you camp, the Death Valley experience is not to be missed.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post934571
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Well, we didn't get out there for Christmas/ New Years but we are planning to go the last week in March. More daylight and better temps. Anybody been in March? For the reserved campgrounds when do I need to make reservations? Now?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I will be at Furnace Creek Site 23 from 3/25 to3/29 if all goes according to plan. Stop by if you are in the neighborhood.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Just Departed DV - At the "Q" now...

Spent 7 wonderful days in Death Valley - Furnace Creek main campground. WX was super, although we actually got some rain one morning - sprinkled for about 15 minutes. Great dry camping at Sunset campground on the hill about Furnace Creek.

Suggest doing the drive to Rhyolite Ghost Town, fuel-up cheaply at Beatty, NV then take the Titus Canyon (one-way east-to-west) tour - incredible.

Another good one was the tour through Scotty's Castle. Stovepipe Wells is where you can buy beer at a reasonable price (don't buy it at the Furnace Creek store).

We played a round of golf at the "Lowest Course in the World" - watch out for the coyotes!

Be advised, gas is $5.15/gal in the National Park - plan accordingly.

We spent a couple days on the road and are now in Quartzite, AZ for a week or so.

Don't miss Death Valley!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010317.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	176517   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010372.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	176518