Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Death Valley at Christmas

Lumatic,

I've stayed many times at either Panamint or Lone Pine during Christmas week and not had a problem getting a site.

I like Panamint a bit better due to it's more remote feeling. Yes it's just off the highway but if you get a site facing north up the valley you experience some great views. They have 12 full hook up sites and showers and the bar and restaurant accross the road has good food.
$30 a night plus $5 extra for each dog you bring.

If anyone is interested, I'm staying this year at the Boulder Creek RV park just south of Lone Pine on 395 during Christmas week. I plan on being there the nights of Dec. 22, 23, 24 and 25. I plan a day trip into DV but mostly kicking around the LP area and the Eastern Sierra.

If you ever get a chance take the drive up to the Cerro Gordo ghost town just up the grade from the little town of Keeler. I was friends with the owners Jodi Stewart and her husband Mike Patterson. They have both since passed away and are both buried on the town site. I stayed once in the old bunk house and the American hotel.

I don't know if both are still available for sleep over's but check with Sean Patterson prior to going up and when you get there check in with the caretakers. Sean's number is 661-303-3622.

Easter week is another great time to go due to the great weather and wildflower season gets awfully crowded.

Enjoy,

Jack Dog (Michael)
in So Cal

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Furnace Creek was a great campground for us. Bring your sticks if you play golf - there is s golf course right in the valley, although we had company napping on one of the holes. We were there at Thanksgiving and had great weather. We loved Death Valley!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	171642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	171643  

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	171644  

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
If you're taking a tent for the kids, be advised: It gets really, really cold (muy frio) at night. Keyair is right. Gas is expensive. We camped at Tecopa Hot Springs. Hot water for soaking, Date Ranch- kids would enjoy. Groceries and much cheaper gas in Pahrump NV. Here is a link to my post on this. No matter where you camp, the Death Valley experience is not to be missed.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post934571
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Well, we didn't get out there for Christmas/ New Years but we are planning to go the last week in March. More daylight and better temps. Anybody been in March? For the reserved campgrounds when do I need to make reservations? Now?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I will be at Furnace Creek Site 23 from 3/25 to3/29 if all goes according to plan. Stop by if you are in the neighborhood.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Just Departed DV - At the "Q" now...

Spent 7 wonderful days in Death Valley - Furnace Creek main campground. WX was super, although we actually got some rain one morning - sprinkled for about 15 minutes. Great dry camping at Sunset campground on the hill about Furnace Creek.

Suggest doing the drive to Rhyolite Ghost Town, fuel-up cheaply at Beatty, NV then take the Titus Canyon (one-way east-to-west) tour - incredible.

Another good one was the tour through Scotty's Castle. Stovepipe Wells is where you can buy beer at a reasonable price (don't buy it at the Furnace Creek store).

We played a round of golf at the "Lowest Course in the World" - watch out for the coyotes!

Be advised, gas is $5.15/gal in the National Park - plan accordingly.

We spent a couple days on the road and are now in Quartzite, AZ for a week or so.

Don't miss Death Valley!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010317.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	176517   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010372.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	176518  

Name:	P1010387.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	176519   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010406.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	176520  

Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Spent 7 wonderful days in Death Valley - Furnace Creek main campground. WX was super, although we actually got some rain one morning - sprinkled for about 15 minutes. Great dry camping at Sunset campground on the hill about Furnace Creek.

Suggest doing the drive to Rhyolite Ghost Town, fuel-up cheaply at Beatty, NV then take the Titus Canyon (one-way east-to-west) tour - incredible.

Another good one was the tour through Scotty's Castle. Stovepipe Wells is where you can buy beer at a reasonable price (don't buy it at the Furnace Creek store).

We played a round of golf at the "Lowest Course in the World" - watch out for the coyotes!

Be advised, gas is $5.15/gal in the National Park - plan accordingly.

We spent a couple days on the road and are now in Quartzite, AZ for a week or so.

Don't miss Death Valley!

Cheers!
Is it really the lowest golf course in the world? If so, I've got to come and play it as I've played the highest (Tuctu,Peru, approx. 14,000 ft.). I've been to DV several times on my motorcycle and driven by the golf course, but didn't know it was the lowest in the world. I highly recommend DV for boon docking in the winter. You can find full service campgrounds (Furnace Creek is the most centrally located), national forest dry camp grounds, and dispersed spots all by yourselves. Don't overpack, everything one might need is available nearby, although at National Park prices. But you will unhook and drive the TV around and can stock up outside the park if necessary.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Furnace Creek Golf Course - Death Valley National Park... The World's LOWEST Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
Is it really the lowest golf course in the world? If so, I've got to come and play it as I've played the highest (Tuctu,Peru, approx. 14,000 ft.).
Yup, Flash - it sure is. Here's the description from the Death Valley website:

"Golf at Furnace Creek The 18-hole, par-70 Furnace Creek Golf Course is the world's lowest elevation golf course, at 214 feet below sea level. This is truly an oasis course, providing great California desert resort golf, a unique golf vacation and an ideal winter getaway.
Originally opened in 1931, the course underwent a major renovation in 1997 by world-renowned golf course architect Perry Dye. Due to the elevation of the course, slightly greater gravity and barometric pressure forces are present that add to the player's challenge. Frequent golfers have noticed a distinct difference in how the ball responds in relation to other courses at or above sea level.
Furnace Creek Golf Course was recently recognized by Golf Digest magazine in their list of "America's 50 Toughest Courses."

UPDATE on the Hook-Ups at Furnace Creek: Most of the campsites are dry sites - there are about 15 sites with water and sewer, and electric is wired but will not be connected until OCT-2013 timeframe. There are, however, 4 or 5 sites with electric, water, sewer there for handicapped campers only.

If you select Stovepipe Wells (30 miles north of Furnace Creek) as your campsite - there are a dozen or so sites there with full hook-ups.

We paid $32/night at Furnace Creek with water and sewer... The pix below were taken at FC, FYI.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010392.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	176714   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010391.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	176715  

Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We boondocked at site 122 in Furnace Creek which gave us a view away from the campground. We were there in early April, 2011 and got a bit of rain in the valley and snow when we went up a 4WD side road to an old mine.

Name:	DeathValley_2244.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	176716
Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It didn't really surprise me too much but I was only able to find one open time block for reservations the last week in March. This was at Furnace Creek campground. The 3 private campgrounds are full.

This trip is kind of turning into a family reunion. I will have family joining me from CA and ID. This puts us over the overnight body count limit of 8. But, during the day up to 15 can hang out. I am assuming the overflow ( we are up to 11) can find a nearby tent site.

I am also assuming I can put up a tent on my campsite along with my stream. It is impossible to find a ranger on the phone, emails have not been answered and the fax number does not work. I was able to download the NP regs and there is nothing mentioned about a tent on a campsite in addtion to a TT.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
March is when the federal budget authorization expires and there are threats to shut down the government. We were tent camping in a remote area of Canyonlands in the '90's when a ranger showed up to tell us the government and the NP's were shutting down in a few days. We planned to leave before then, so it didn't affect us. The same party that shut down the government then is threatening to do so again. I hope your plans are not thwarted.

Gene
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
March is when the federal budget authorization expires and there are threats to shut down the government.

Gene
That would be a bummer. Something else to blame on Congress.

Would they kick everyone out and barricade the roads or everyone gets in for free because the entrances are not manned? Probably kick everyone out.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When they close a park, it is closed. A few rangers stay on to watch out for people trying to get in. However, if a state or federal highway crosses a park, maybe that has to stay open, and I don't know about campgrounds run by concessionaires. Best to check about that eventuality now because if it comes, you'll find it harder to get info as everyone will be calling. I hate to raise this bummer of an issue, but you have to think about it and make alternate plans.

Nobody really thought it would happen years ago, but it did. The budget and sequestration fights come after the debt ceiling fight. It is going to be a time to go on vacation far away from everything.

Gene
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Best to check about that eventuality now because if it comes, you'll find it harder to get info as everyone will be calling.
Gene
The DVNP website does not provide any phone numbers. The phone numbers I have gotten go to voice mail that is not returned. The website gives fax number which is always busy. So checking it out is pretty impossible anyway.