Old 01-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Caldwell , Idaho
Death Valley Campgrounds

Hey A.S. family we are heading to D.V. the last week of Jan. anyone have input as to needing reservations for the campgrounds? I would rather not make reservations as that puts a deadline on us, this time of year road conditions can make me take days off the road, don't want to push my luck in bad conditions. Coming from Idaho, and Nevada can have some nasty roads, I want to enjoy the drive as much as the destination, any in put would be cool. Thanks folks keep the shinny side up. Ron & Kathleen

Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Death Valley RV Park & Camping | Stovepipe Wells Village | Death Valley National Park | Stovepipe Wells Village

You can make reservations at Stovepipe Wells. There is a store, pool, shower house, hookups, and even a saloon there. It's not grand, but it worked out great for us.

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a NPS campground, a Xantera RV Park, and a Xantera campground at Furnace Creek. Finding a campsite without a reservation is no problem but you may end up dry camping. Three should be space in January. Spring is peak season at DV.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Sunset campground across the street from Furnace Creek (the best campground ) is essentially a monstrous parking lot. Probably can hold 500 campers. Never seen more than a dozen in there. I think impossible for Death Valley to run out of campsites.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've camped at Furnace Creek twice, and did want reservations, because we didn't want to drive all the way down from BC only to find No Room at the Inn. Sometimes during our stay they were full, sometimes not. Apparently they are liable to fill up with Californians on long weekends, and also if there are certain special events going on in the area. About 10 of the Park Service sites have hookups, the rest are boondocking.

The concession lodge at Furnace Creek also has some RV sites, with hookups. But more expensive.

One nice thing about Furnace Creek is that $5 will buy you a swim in the lodge's warm springs pool, including showers in the change rooms.

There is overflow camping across the highway at the Sunset CG, but it's not so inviting: Furnace Creek has shade trees, but Sunset looks like a big gravel parking lot. Texas Springs is nearby, but they don't allow generators and I don't think the sites are very long.

We'll be back down that way in Feb/March and will stay at the Shoshone RV park in Shoshone, CA, making a few day trips into DVNP. Shoshone is a bit down-at-the-heels, but we wanted full hookups for a longer stay, and do not like the big RV parks where you're wedged in between the motorhomes and 5th wheel slide-outs. There are hiking trails in the vicinity, a big library, and a smaller on-site warm springs swimming pool.

We will probably take I-84 through eastern Washington & Oregon, and then pick up I-15 at Tremonton, UT to get there. It's not the most direct route, but in the winter, we look for low passes and places to hole up off the highway if the weather turns bad. We have people to visit in SLC. Nevada is probably going to be drier than the Wasatch Front, but if there is a blizzard, the route through Jackpot and Wells, NV has some very long, lonely stretches of road with no real place to get off the highway.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I like Furnace Creek for it's central location and it's the best campground in my opinion. They also have some full hookup sites. Stovepipe Wells is the only other place with hookups. Lots of dry camping opportunities...Sunset the parking lot and Texas Springs with no generators. I would monitor the Recreation.gov site and check availability for the times you think you may be there. You can always make a reservation and then cancel or change it if you need to. Here's a pic of the full hookup sites at Furnace Creek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-21 07.08.45.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	255300  
Old 01-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post

One nice thing about Furnace Creek is that $5 will buy you a swim in the lodge's warm springs pool, including showers in the change rooms.
If you stay at the RV Park at Furnace Creek Ranch the pool is free and a short walk. If you stay at Stovepipe Wells the pool is $5 and across the road. Note there is also Furnace Creek Resort which is a hotel about a mile down the road.