Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
santa rosa , California
De-humidifier Recommendations

Hi there.... We have done a lot of research on controlling humidity in our Airstream (we have a 30ft International). As with a lot of topics, there are many opinions, and frankly, some of them appear contradictory. Still, I do learn much from everything I read.

Notwithstanding my reading, I would like to receive some input from our Airstream Forum friends on what works best.

I see we can use disposable systems, and there are some who use small, portable units, the efficacy of which seems to be all over the spectrum.

As always, we very much appreciate the wisdom our AS family can offer.

Carmine/Nicole
travelczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If I am camping with hookups, I run a small ceramic space heater and AC at the same time.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I bought a cheap portable unit with wheels and a 1.5 gallon reservoir from WalMart. It improved my comfort a lot in wet weather and could collect a gallon per day easily. I didn't worry about efficiency because it acted like a 700 Watt heater when it was working although the air leaving it wasn't very warm. It is a bit noisy but the dry air is worth the noise to me. I think you need a unit with a compressor to do a good job but maybe 2 or 3 of the solid state ones scattered around would work. I'd like to hear feedback from people who have used the solid state units.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
At first it seemed odd that our owner's manual would devote so much attention to the problem of high humidity. But with all the attention they give it, their suggestion is to simply open a window.

When we got into weather that fogged our windows, just cracking the kitchen window was all it took to clear the air and make it comfortable. Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
This is what we use.

SPT SD-31E Dehumidifier with Energy Star, 30-Pint

It works well but is a little too big for our 30FB. We got it because it is a CR Best Buy.

I would suggest looking for a physically smaller unit that you can continuously drain into your sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TXWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Living in FL I consider myself to be versed in dealing with humidity. I have an Eva-Dry mini 500, a peltier with ionic filter dehumidifier and a Frigiaire FAD301 30 pint specifically for the trailer interior while in storage. During the summer I run the air when using the AS as it provides dehumidification.

The first two options are really a waste. They cannot provide the drying of the interior good enough. The peltier gets about a cup every two days and the Eva-Dry is overwhelmed in the 25'. It absorbs moisture but you would need several and they would require constant maintenance to recharge. The regular compressor type, the Fridigaire FAD 310, is powerful and drops my humidity to around 38-40% easily- dimensions (12.6 x 15.8 x 20.9). It is set to drain in the sink and every few weeks I go over and empty the gray tank water (note, only humidifier water). It heats up the interior dramatically but at least it is dry heat. The only other option I know of is a desiccant type. Eva Dry has a EDV4000. It uses 350-600 watts and can collect up to 1.84 gallons a day- dimensions (18"H x 11.5"W x 7"D). The Fridigaire model is rated to pull 2X the moisture from the air compared to the Eva-Dry. Both units at full power draw about the same wattage- 600 watts. Two advantages on the Eva-Dry are sized and that you have two fan speeds. Fan speed NOT an issue if you will not be present when operating as in the case of storage and, the newer Fridiaire 30 pint with digital readout has a fan speed control. I chose to save some money and buy the older rated reliable knob-only model. It is something to consider. Your best option is compressor type first, then dessicant. The others are not realistic options.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
First post here. I have had great success with using Calcium Chloride to dry out interiors. I believe it's the same ingredient that damp rid is made of(minus perfumes). I buy a 50 lb bag for less than $20 and spread about a lb or two in a 20 liter Rubbermaid tote and watch the water collect. You will have to change daily if you are going in and out, but if I'm doing that, I'm running the ac. CC keeps the humidity a little lower than 50%
subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
De-humidifier Recommendations

I cannot recommend this dehumidifier enough: EcoSeb DD122EA-SIMPLE Desiccant Dehumidifier, 15-Pint, White, 120V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHJIC04..._beiyyb7V2R6FJ

Have one for our AS, one in our bathroom at home (doesn't have an exhaust fan) and bought one for my dad for use in his motor home. It's dehumidification capabilities are amazing, relatively small and quiet.
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #9

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
I cannot recommend this dehumidifier enough: EcoSeb DD122EA-SIMPLE Desiccant Dehumidifier, 15-Pint, White, 120V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHJIC04..._beiyyb7V2R6FJ

Have one for our AS, one in our bathroom at home (doesn't have an exhaust fan) and bought one for my dad for use in his motor home. It's dehumidification capabilities are amazing, relatively small and quiet.
I second this recommendation. We were down in Charleston, SC the past 2 weeks and condensation was getting out of control. We primed one of these from Amazon for our 28' FC and after the first night our problems were solved. It is big enough to get the job done well but not so big as to be in the way.
vossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelczar View Post
Hi there.... We have done a lot of research on controlling humidity in our Airstream (we have a 30ft International). As with a lot of topics, there are many opinions, and frankly, some of them appear contradictory. Still, I do learn much from everything I read.

Notwithstanding my reading, I would like to receive some input from our Airstream Forum friends on what works best.

I see we can use disposable systems, and there are some who use small, portable units, the efficacy of which seems to be all over the spectrum.

As always, we very much appreciate the wisdom our AS family can offer.

Carmine/Nicole
I hope someone can suggest a system that drys the air and keeps the interior dry in winter storage where the average monthly high January to April is 50-65 degrees and average monthly lows are 35-40. Lots of humidity so I want to keep the inside dry without using electricity and without any other heat. I want to use the moisture absorbent and I cannot attend the system except 60-90 days so I am needing an overflow system into the shower and kitchen sink and into the grey tank. I can build stuff and I am cheap. I am not sure the calcium chloride will work but tell me more about that please.
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsea View Post
First post here. I have had great success with using Calcium Chloride to dry out interiors. I believe it's the same ingredient that damp rid is made of(minus perfumes). I buy a 50 lb bag for less than $20 and spread about a lb or two in a 20 liter Rubbermaid tote and watch the water collect. You will have to change daily if you are going in and out, but if I'm doing that, I'm running the ac. CC keeps the humidity a little lower than 50%
Help please::::I hope someone can suggest a system that drys the air and keeps the interior dry in winter storage where the average monthly high January to April is 50-65 degrees and average monthly lows are 35-40. Lots of humidity so I want to keep the inside dry without using electricity and without any other heat. I want to use the moisture absorbent and I cannot attend the system except 60-90 days so I am needing an overflow system into the shower and kitchen sink and into the grey tank. I can build stuff and I am cheap. I am not sure the calcium chloride will work but tell me more about that please.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsaglejim View Post
I hope someone can suggest a system ... I want to use the moisture absorbent and I cannot attend the system except 60-90 days so I am needing an overflow system into the shower and kitchen sink and into the grey tank. ...
Have you tried DampRid? It is available at WM and can last up to six months. Doesn't need a drain.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Have you tried DampRid? It is available at WM and can last up to six months. Doesn't need a drain.
I am aware of damp rid. I have never tried it and since it is calcium chloride I am curious about setting up that system which will work in a situation where I cannot continually monitor. I need to be able to monitor every 80 days or so . So I'm hoping someone will Have suggestions. The part I don't understand is why water doesn't collect when using damp rid, which is calcium chloride
Old 01-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
... I have never tried it and since it is calcium chloride I am curious about setting up that system which will work in a situation where I cannot continually monitor. I need to be able to monitor every 80 days or so . So I'm hoping someone will Have suggestions. The part I don't understand is why water doesn't collect when using damp rid, which is calcium chloride
The DampRid absorbs the water vapour in the air and eventually it is all changed to liquid. The container that hold the DampRid is sufficient in size to hold the water. Of course after all of the DampRid is used up it is no longer effective. I have used this in my boat and found that it works quite well, but of course doesn't have a lot of water vapour absorbing capacity.

For continuous de-humidification you would need to have someone replace the expended DampRid or use an electrical dehumidifier with a drain (shower?) to your grey tank that has the grey dump valve open.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Living in FL I consider myself to be versed in dealing with humidity. I have an Eva-Dry mini 500, a peltier with ionic filter dehumidifier and a Frigiaire FAD301 30 pint specifically for the trailer interior while in storage. During the summer I run the air when using the AS as it provides dehumidification.

The first two options are really a waste. They cannot provide the drying of the interior good enough. The peltier gets about a cup every two days and the Eva-Dry is overwhelmed in the 25'. It absorbs moisture but you would need several and they would require constant maintenance to recharge. The regular compressor type, the Fridigaire FAD 310, is powerful and drops my humidity to around 38-40% easily- dimensions (12.6 x 15.8 x 20.9). It is set to drain in the sink and every few weeks I go over and empty the gray tank water (note, only humidifier water). It heats up the interior dramatically but at least it is dry heat. The only other option I know of is a desiccant type. Eva Dry has a EDV4000. It uses 350-600 watts and can collect up to 1.84 gallons a day- dimensions (18"H x 11.5"W x 7"D). The Fridigaire model is rated to pull 2X the moisture from the air compared to the Eva-Dry. Both units at full power draw about the same wattage- 600 watts. Two advantages on the Eva-Dry are sized and that you have two fan speeds. Fan speed NOT an issue if you will not be present when operating as in the case of storage and, the newer Fridiaire 30 pint with digital readout has a fan speed control. I chose to save some money and buy the older rated reliable knob-only model. It is something to consider. Your best option is compressor type first, then dessicant. The others are not realistic options.
I'll be leaving my Excella in storage in central Florida this coming summer, May through October, where it will have full hookups. It will be parked outdoors, but in the shade.

I'm considering leaving the AC running, set on 85-90. I'm also considering getting a dehumidifier (instead of running the AC), but am concerned that the interior temperatures will get to high with the dehumidifier.

I'm wondering how hot it gets inside your Airstream when you run your dehumidifier when the outdoor temperature is typical Florida summertime very humid mid to upper 90's?

The flooring I installed last year had a warning that high temperature can release the adhesives. That is my main concern.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
The DampRid absorbs the water vapour in the air and eventually it is all changed to liquid. The container that hold the DampRid is sufficient in size to hold the water. Of course after all of the DampRid is used up it is no longer effective. I have used this in my boat and found that it works quite well, but of course doesn't have a lot of water vapour absorbing capacity.

For continuous de-humidification you would need to have someone replace the expended DampRid or use an electrical dehumidifier with a drain (shower?) to your grey tank that has the grey dump valve open.
I got a 50 lb bag of calcium chloride and its easy to make a home made container to suspend a bag of the CC near the top of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. I looked at the commercial device designed for RVs and boats at a store to see its design. So it has been a learning process for me. I want to thank especially thank subsea and Adventure. AS for pointing me in the right direction. i will not be too worried about how much water collects as I will let it go into the bucket to see the absorption rate and then drain to the grey tank. And here is another idea link:http://newenergydirection.com/blog/2...cium-chloride/
Old 01-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
We live in Fort Myers, and our Airstream sits in out driveway in partial shade. We close all blinds and set the AC unit at 80, keeps inside dry, and unit does seem to run very often.
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsea View Post
This is my first attempt at dehydrating. In cold temperatures of 20-40 degrees F and humidity in the trailer of 75-80 % I am getting a few drops in a bucket under about 2-3 cups of calcium chloride. I am going to add much more calcium chloride (going for two pounds) and have a fan going across one of them. I will now be using four 5 gallon buckets with 2 pounds of calcium chloride on a screen above to let the water drip into the buckets. I want to run the air conditioner temporarily but am hesitant because I am not sure if it is a good idea to turn on the air conditioner to dehydrate in temps of 20-40 degrees? (I do not want to heat the interior with heaters and I do not want to use the electric dehydrator option.) Can anyone help with suggestions. Can I add air conditioning and at what settings? My goal is to get to 45 % humidity. Is that realistic?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
This is my first attempt at dehydrating. In cold temperatures of 20-40 degrees F and humidity in the trailer of 75-80 % I am getting a few drops in a bucket under about 2-3 cups of calcium chloride. I am going to add much more calcium chloride (going for two pounds) and have a fan going across one of them. I will now be using four 5 gallon buckets with 2 pounds of calcium chloride on a screen above to let the water drip into the buckets. I want to run the air conditioner temporarily but am hesitant because I am not sure if it is a good idea to turn on the air conditioner to dehydrate in temps of 20-40 degrees? (I do not want to heat the interior with heaters and I do not want to use the electric dehydrator option.) Can anyone help with suggestions. Can I add air conditioning and at what settings? My goal is to get to 45 % humidity. Is that realistic?
I doubt that running the air conditioner is a good idea if the outside temperatures are 20-40F. There is not a lot of humidity in the air at those temperatures, unless you are near a windblown mist from a lake, etc. At 80F and 100% relative humidity the air would hold several times more moisture than at 20F and 100% relative humidity. Relative, in this case, means the amount of moisture the air is capable of holding changes as temperature changes.

If you are seeing moisture build up inside the trailer what I think you need is ventilation to let moisture escape, especially during the times you cook or take a bath. A roof vent just barely open would do the trick. The windows are going to sweat some, regardless of what you do, as long as you occupy and heat the trailer.

My opinion about using calcium chloride: I would not do that. Calcium chloride, a salt, is extremely corrosive in the presence of water. It is not good for any metal part in your trailer. If dumping that collected liquid into the waste system, the sink strainer connection, the liquid level sensors, and the dump valve parts that are stainless steel will suffer.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Can I successfully run my air conditioner in 40 degree weather to dry the interior? If not how warm must the outside temp be before the air conditioner will dry out the inside of my 32 ft excella?