Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Mirror Lake , New Hampshire
DC trip in April

We are hoping to take our 19" Bambi to the DC area in early April. Looking for a park near public transportation that will get us to the mall area.
Sawyerpoint
sawyerpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Cherry Hill Park! It's on the bus route. We went a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It's a large private campground, but it has a bus stop on property. You can buy bus tokens at the store/office and it will take you to the metro station and then into DC.

I believe weekends you have to drive to a nearby metro station, but there's really not a need to drive once you get to the park.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Castle Rock , Colorado
DC trip in April

Hi, We visited the DC area in the summer of 2011. We stayed at Pohick Bay Regional Park near Lorton, Virginia (www.nvrpa.org). The park is located 25 miles south of DC. We drove into the city but I'm sure there is public transportation located in and around Lorton. Pohick Bay Park has a very well maintained campground with many amenities. We enjoyed coming back to the campsite after a busy day in DC. Visiting DC is truly an amazing experience. Be safe and have a great time!
CloudDancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
Another vote for Cherry Hill. While more expensive that some options, the convenience, facilities and staff are hard to beat. Use the public transpo and it will be easy and enjoyable.

Check online for D.C. visiting tips as security makes visits to Capitol Hill and the White House more difficult than "used to be". Do not hesitate to contact your Representative and/or Senators' office(s) for help, guidance and access.

Enjoy.

Bill
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudDancing View Post
Hi, We visited the DC area in the summer of 2011. We stayed at Pohick Bay Regional Park near Lorton, Virginia (www.nvrpa.org). The park is located 25 miles south of DC. We drove into the city but I'm sure there is public transportation located in and around Lorton. Pohick Bay Park has a very well maintained campground with many amenities.
Mmmm-hmmmm. This is a very nice campground.

We experienced the earthquake there in 2011, as I recall.

Maggie
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
If you can go in late April, you could join us at the WDCU Kickoff Rally at Capitol KOA, which has a shuttle that'll run you to DC.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
you might also try the Greenbelt Campground. It is run by the National Park service. However it is rustic in that it does not have electricity or water. It is close to the metro about 1.5 miles. To find more about it go to Recreation .gov
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
fyi.. the metro for two round trip will cost you just as much as parking in a lot for the day. Most fail to realize this.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
fyi.. the metro for two round trip will cost you just as much as parking in a lot for the day. Most fail to realize this.
Last time I parked in DC a couple months back, it was ~$20/day near Waterfront. The round trip from Greenbelt or Suitland or New Carrollton is probably under $10/person, plus parking if it's on a weekday (~$4). So it would depend on how many people there are traveling.

Of course there's something to be said for not having the hassle of driving in DC, and the hassle of actually finding a garage. Or, if you're going to have a large vehicle (i.e., a truck), you won't fit in at least some of the garages downtown - many of them have a fairly low height restriction, and I know our 7' tall F-250 wouldn't fit, so you'd need to find street parking. I don't know of any garages to suggest that it definitely would fit in - we haven't done the research to find one.

I got to drive the F-250 through DC last weekend...not as bad as you might expect, fortunately. But then I wasn't parking it, either (well, briefly in an alley to drop off some furniture, but that's it). We usually take Metro when we're going downtown, but not always.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Another vote for Cherry Hills. We were there two years ago and thought it was a nice park with great transportation. We bought Gray Line tour tickets at the park office and caught the Gray Line bus in the park. No driving of the TV. Very easy, no stress. Get on the bus and sit back. Park also has pools and is close to an Ikea (sp?) store.

AirEgger
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Last time I parked in DC a couple months back, it was ~$20/day near Waterfront. The round trip from Greenbelt or Suitland or New Carrollton is probably under $10/person, plus parking if it's on a weekday (~$4). So it would depend on how many people there are traveling.

Of course there's something to be said for not having the hassle of driving in DC, and the hassle of actually finding a garage. Or, if you're going to have a large vehicle (i.e., a truck), you won't fit in at least some of the garages downtown - many of them have a fairly low height restriction, and I know our 7' tall F-250 wouldn't fit, so you'd need to find street parking. I don't know of any garages to suggest that it definitely would fit in - we haven't done the research to find one.

I got to drive the F-250 through DC last weekend...not as bad as you might expect, fortunately. But then I wasn't parking it, either (well, briefly in an alley to drop off some furniture, but that's it). We usually take Metro when we're going downtown, but not always.
I parked my 3500 4x4 Dodge for $10 all day 4 blocks from the Mall two weekends ago. I guess I just got lucks.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I parked my 3500 4x4 Dodge for $10 all day 4 blocks from the Mall two weekends ago. I guess I just got lucks.
Care to share where?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
A another nod for Capital KOA. We had a good stay. They have the mentioned shuttle that drops off in the morning and picks up in the afternoon on the mall.

It is also not far from a Metro station with a parking lot. We parked there and took the train into DC one evening.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Aloha;

I will throw another plug* in for Greenbelt especially if you are going to stay for only a few days. The cost is only $16/night if you are <62 or $8 if you are over. It is rustic, but it's a little hidden oasis just 14 miles from the mall. Free wood is frequently available.

Greenbelt Park - Greenbelt Park

If you absolutely need full hook-ups, Cherry Hill is fine too, just a tad pricier.

*We camp hosted there this past Sept-Oct. and plan to return next fall so I might be a bit prejudiced.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We camped in DC last fall at a park inside Andrews Air Force Base, limited to military/DOD members.

My cautionary note is the city is peppered with speed cameras that will send you a fine by mail, leaving you no recourse. Construction zones and speed limit changes are all over the place. Miserable city to drive in. They sent us one in regular mail that was not received by us, then doubled the $125 fine for not responding. It's a $30 million a year dollar public theft system.

Using public transportation is an excellent plan.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Care to share where?
Not sure why it is that you feel you must dispute just about everything I post.

I am not sure of the exact location, but I believe it was on E street, just North of the National Museum of Natural History. Usually we try and get to the Mall about 20 before 10 so we can take free space right on Mall(after 10) in front of the museum we want to see. The free parking is for two hours so you will have to move. Many move right at 12 so we often switch spaces with someone doing the same. We also often parked in a lot in Chinatown for $8 a day. I think on I street, it was full two weekends ago. We walk down from there and eat in Chinatown on the return. All rates are off if something is going on at the MCI center however. All the garages and lots jack the prices during events.
I suspect many choose the Metro because the layout of streets in DC is difficult to understand and taking the Metro just makes it easier. Parking downtown is just another option. That was the reason for me pointing this out. Sorry it had to be disputed.
Have fun in DC. It is a great city to see. The transportation exhibit at the American History museum is one of my favorites. The Spy museum is also very fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
My favorite "hidden" place to park in the District is in the $10 all day parking lot behind the old Chase bank building that fronts Dupont Circle. The Dupont METRO entrance is right next to the lot and makes for an easy way into the heart of the city while remaining relatively close to the parkways outbound.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Not sure why it is that you feel you must dispute just about everything I post.
Asking where you found a decent parking lot in DC is disputing what you post? Interesting.

Thanks for the tip about where it is, though!