Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
falls church , Virginia
Dc to Florida trip

Hi folks. My name is Mark. I live in the DC area and am new to the forum. Last October my wife and I decided to start living the dream and bought an 83 Excella 31'. We've tastefully updated it, take it somewhere almost every weekend, and couldn't be happier. Our first "real" trip is comoing up this October and I'm looking for any suggestions on places to stay, detours, things to see, etc. Our destination is Ft. Lauderdale Florida. I'd like to do around six hours a day on the road. With this in mind, our first stop should just be an overnighter somewhere in SC. From there it would be somewhere in Northern Fla for a night, and then on to our final destinsation, Yacht Haven rv park in Ft. Lauderdale. Any comments on this place? Aside from Ft. Lauderdale, I'd rather the campspots be close to 95, and, yes, pullthroughs would be nice but not mandatory. Feel free to email me directly or just post here. Thanks in advance. Mark
tiki trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Amissville , Virginia
Hey Mark! Paul here. I'm certain that I past that rig of your's driving west on Rt. 211 through the town of Amissville in the late afternoon a couple of Saturdays ago. Tow vehicle being a fire engine red (Dodge Ram Diesel?) pickup. Might that have been you?

I hear that the entire front lounge seating is in Leopard print! Can you affirm that?

Can't help you with the southern lodging but have a great trip!
Grtbggdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
DC to FL

If you are looking for a quick stop in SC, there is a campground right off 95 in Walterboro , SC. called GreenAcres. Nothing fancy but sights are pull- thru and inexpensive. They have many that stop there on way to FL as it is very convienent.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Mark,

There are some nice places between DC and FL that are worth more than an overnight, if you are flexible. Huntington Beach State Park (SC) is south of Myrtle Beach, and is truly beautiful. It is a ways off 95, but you can reroute fairly easily. After all, it is a journey. There is a wonderful garden at Brookgreen Gardens, right across the street.

We also stayed at Beverly Beach campground just north of Daytona. Camped right on the ocean. The sites were expensive, but they were worth the splurge. From there, take your rig out on the sand at Daytona. Take classic pictures. Continuing south, go on through Daytona to Ponce Inlet - there is a great lighthouse museum - climb the lighthouse and get more pix. Enjoy lunch at dockside next to the marina.

Easy drive to Ft Lauderdale from there.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
falls church , Virginia
thanks!

Wow, thanks people! A few good reccomendations worth considering. I'm especially interested in Beverly Beach campground near daytona. We're big beach people and the closer we can get, the better. As of now, it looks like the first night will be somewhere near Raleigh, NC then onto Savannah, Ga. The next day will take us to the Daytona area, hopefully Beverly Beach, then onto Ft. Lauderdale for a few days before heading back home, hitting Disney and all that jazz.

Yes Paul, that was us with the fire engine red Ram a few weeks ago heading out to Sperryville, and yes the entire front gaucho is all done up in leopard print. It must be seen to be believed! We'll be out there again around the 4th if youre around. Anyone know who owns the other Airstream that passed us a few weeks ago on 211 in Warrenton Va? It looked to be about a 25' rig being towed by a teal blue Dakota with Steamfitters local 602 emblems on the back window. I'd like to know as I am also a 602 member. Thanks again Mark
tiki trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If you don't mind driving through suburb Savannah, go to Tybee Island. The campground there is an easy walk to the beach. And to a pretty good restaurant at the old fortifications. Another good lighthouse tour.

That campground has been sold, I understand, so this may be the last year to camp there. Nice old live oaks.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki trailer
first night will be somewhere near Raleigh, NC then onto Savannah, Ga. The next day will take us to the Daytona area, hopefully Beverly Beach, then onto Ft. Lauderdale for a few days before heading back home, hitting Disney and all that jazz.
If you're in the Raleigh area and need a great breakfast the Farmers Market has a great restaurant and I can highly recommend the breakfast. I did want to say that we just got back from Disnay and stayed at the Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney. You will find no finer campground in the area, cheeper yes but when you through in all the things Disney has to offer it's a deal. Give it a look.

I have no affiliation with Disney - I just spend allot of money there.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote