Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Dash Cam

I am considering adding a dash cam to my tow vehicle. I am interested in feedback from our members as to whether this is a good idea. I am also looking for recommendations on the type and brand of equipment to buy.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I have two of these. I use them all the time. Both have functioned perfect for me. They record very clear, but you will not always be able to read tags in the dark or rain. You will likely have to spend quite a bit to get one with that capability (no matter what the manufacturer claims). The video quality is awesome though. These have WiFi, so I can download directly to my phone or tablet, but they do not have GPS. I love having them as additional Insurance if anything ever happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2889.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	304335

Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I toyed with the idea until I came to the conclusion that it'd probably just record hours and hours of boredom.

Then, last week, in I-10 westbound traffic coming past Brookshire, TX, ....my wife and I were in the left lane, behind a long line of vehicles which were only slightly faster than the clogged right lane. All of us were following in safe distances at the speed limit 65 mph... and in the right lane an 18-wheeler was ahead-to-our-right being followed by a sedan just slightly ahead of me and to the right... The sedan was using common sense and not attempting to slip into the spacing in front of me as we slowly gained on them....

...When all of a sudden a white F-150 travelling about 75 racing up to the point of rear-ending the sedan, without changing speed whipped in front of us and hit the brakes to match our column's speed...
I am certain that less than 6-inches existed between our front bumper and his rear-bumper!
I impulsively hit the brakes as it appeared we were actually having contact...
I dropped back a couple car lengths to stop DW from screaming, Then...as soon as our slowly-advancing column placed him at the front of the 18-wheeler...he did the same to that teamster who was also forced to slam his brakes almost causing a jack-knife in front of his right-hand column of cars.
As we shot past the 18-wheeler the jackass-F-150 accelerated away ...continuously hacking left/right/left/right as he forced himself into spaces in the traffic-line.
It was so dangerous and so in disregard for everyone's safety that fortunately everyone let him get-away....waaay ahead as he disappeared while accelerating faar-beyond any reasonable speed.

I not only wanted a dash-cam.... I wanted James Bond's 30-calibre Brownings! If he'd caused a crash I'm certain any/ALL survivors would have mercilessly beaten him to a goddam pulp and my normal, defensive-driving self would have assisted!

He doubtless thought himself more important than anyone else on the planet!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I am considering adding a dash cam to my tow vehicle. I am interested in feedback from our members as to whether this is a good idea. I am also looking for recommendations on the type and brand of equipment to buy.

Brian
I drive in Detroit and never, ever go without both front and rear dashcams. They also record while the truck is parked. Records in 20 minute segments so I can download the entertaining stuff and erase the rest.

I will never purposely crash my vehicle to avoid someone who “cuts me off”. There’s either enough room, or there isn’t.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
It happens all the time our area. If they get into lane beside me with traffic I will pace vehicle beside me so they can not cut again, this is done in legal speed limits, if they do go for some reason, they may be many cars ahead of me, invaribly they will be next to me or behind me at next stop light. One time a cell phone driver was doing this, at next stop light I was along side yelled illegal to use phone in Il. His response was I no that then next comment was go **** ********.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Boxite,

Darn. There is just not quite enough room to mount the .30 Caliber Brownings in my TV fender wells, and still get the belts to feed right...but I LIKE the idea!

Maybe a .50 Caliber Minigun on a flex mount on the TV roof? I'd be worried that the flying spent brass might ding up the front of the Airstream, though.

I'll just have to stay with the MagLite flashlight bracketed to the floor on my side...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I will never purposely crash my vehicle to avoid someone who “cuts me off”. There’s either enough room, or there isn’t.
Who suggested that? (to purposefully crash to avoid cut-off)

featherbedder... I would recommend that one should always follow at least two car lengths at any speed for your own safety.
Unfortunately, there are some drivers who consider that an opportunity to cut-in.... and when they do...then I drop back another 2 car lengths.

It's never appropriate to take on the job of law enforcement....unless you ARE law enforcement, IMO. Keep in mind that other driver may be operating under duress, family-emergency, or other serious matter and give them room. Everyone will be better off and will be more likely to get to their destination in one piece.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Who suggested that? (to purposefully crash to avoid cut-off)

Happens all the time. Many single car accidents are caused by this.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Happens all the time. Many single car accidents are caused by this.
It's not an "accident" if done purposefully. (Seems to me to be counter-productive.)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It's not an "accident" if done purposefully. (Seems to me to be counter-productive.)
Doesn’t happen to me at all because I won’t swerve. But I’ve ridden with people who literally drive off the road to avoid someone. Then they crash and end up being at fault because it’s a single car crash.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:

Brian

Yes I recommend it as SOP and I should also buy myself a rear one as has been mentioned here. My Nexium is 1080p but sensor quality still produces mediocre quality. It allows wired integration of a rear camera into front one so the one SD card has both sets of files sync'd up. The SD card fills up with x minute segments and just keeps overwriting the oldest ones so no file management required. I believe it also auto locks the current file if a sudden crash occurs.

I bought extra mounting plates for other vehicles. That way I can quick disconnect the one unit and put it into the next car, saving $. Oh, and you'll need more power cords in case you hard wired that in; otherwise use one of those coiled cigarette lighter cords and take it with you.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Mine are about the size of a radar detector and could be mistaken for one so be careful in places where detectors are not allowed.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
If they get into lane beside me with traffic I will pace vehicle beside me so they can not cut again
I used to get mad, but now I tell myself that maybe he's rushing his sick child to a hospital. Would I want to impede him?
(He's probably not, but life's too short to get even.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Brian
We use The Original Dash Cam, with front and rear facing cameras. They have captured some entertaining stuff, though we have not had to use footage from one in the legal arena. The only time that ever might have been a factor, the other driver quickly backpedaled when he was informed he was on camera.