Old 02-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Dark Clouds and stormy weather

We were listening to the weather forecast tonight, predicting severe weather for lower Alabama.
We are all snug at home, and we were discussing what we would do if severe weather occurred while camping?
Would we just stay put and hope for the best?
Would we opt to stay in a hotel for the night?
Or would we bailout and try to beat the weather?
What do think most campers do?

Old 02-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One's options are determined by the trailer location, escape road choices and direction of weather movement relevant to their location and escape roads. If there is sufficient time, heading perpendicular to the storm path is prudent in Tornado Alley.

Otherwise, a quick search for a safe shelter (no trailer qualities if out in the open or under trees) becomes top priority. Even a road culvert is better than nothing.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
We were listening to the weather forecast tonight, predicting severe weather for lower Alabama.
We are all snug at home, and we were discussing what we would do if severe weather occurred while camping?
Would we just stay put and hope for the best?
Would we opt to stay in a hotel for the night?
Or would we bailout and try to beat the weather?
What do think most campers do?
Kind of depends on what type of severe weather.
Tornado - Find someplace solid enough to not be blown away, preferably underground. Hint: Know where to go before a storm is coming, and plan to leave the Airstream behind to fend for itself.
Hurricane - Bug out well in advance to avoid the rush. An RV has exactly zero chance of riding out one safely.
Blizzard - Wouldn't be camping there to begin with. I hate snow and ice.
Thunderstorm - Ride it out, but disconnect from shore power first just in case of lightning strikes on nearby power lines. Even with a surge protector, no sense taking chances.
Flash flood - Move to higher ground and just keep going.
Wildfire - As with a hurricane, bug out at the first sign one is coming.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
You are right there is a lot of variables .
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Great advise to disconnect power during a thunderstorm. We have not done that in the past.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
And cable TV and phone hard lines if applicable. [plus -- obviously -- also lower television and radio antennas and awnings -- measure twice cut once]
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We were thinking that if we were traveling and staying for the night, we would check into a sturdy hotel and let the bad weather pass by.
If only we could find a hotel with covered parking for our airstream.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Safe travels to all that are out camping. Lucky ducks
Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My trailer is my escape pod. If it is bad enough for me to have to evacuate from either my home or a campground the trailer is coming with me. It stays mostly stocked and ready to go. Tonight (same storm as OP) I am happy to be at home.
I was actually all packed and getting ready to head out when news of this storm came. Heading out tomorrow after the storm ends tonight. Forecast for tomorrow is bright and sunny.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Back in 1963 or 1964...a long time ago, Hurricane Betsy came through Miami. We had to stay because DH worked for Western Union and they had to be ready to go to work the next day to clear the lines. So to prepare he brought home ...our trailer , about two hundred feet of rope about two inches in diameter and tied that rope around our trailer, up and over and through the axles several times and then tied it off on one side a telephone pole and the other side a large palm. We let the front down
and cracked the windows, packed an overnight bag and went to a motel. The storm raged all night, water seeped in the room. The pool had been drained in preparation but it was running over.

The next morning it looked like a war zone, planes had been thrown over fences at the airport so we prepared ourselves for the worst. We pulled into the park and lo and behold our trailer was the only one that did not sustain any damage. There was a lot of laughter when people saw all of that rope but we had the last laugh. When a problem presents itself you deal with it the best way you can with what you have.

Hurricane Betsy continued on eventually making it to New Orleans.

Predeta
Old 02-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
News quote: "2nd death confirmed from tornado at Convent (Louisiana) RV park... First responders search for victims in the debris of the Sugar Hill RV Park in Convent after a powerful tornado struck on Tuesday (afternoon), February 23, 2016."

Were any AirForums members camped there?

Our thoughts and prayers go out to victims of this disaster and their families.

==========

Link to news articles:

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&e...+February+2016
Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Road out Hurricane Camille on the Mississippi Gulf Coast - we had a rental across Hwy 90 from the Beach - never did that again.

Many private campgrounds we have stayed at have storm shelters or can tell you where one is. I ask now when we check in.

If real serious weather is predicted we keep moving and don't stop for the night in the area. Multiple weather apps and weather app radars help these days.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
what a timely post...for me, at least. Leaving tomorrow morning for the Louisiana coast (New Iberia), then will head over to Florida along the coast for 14 days. Will be driving, but will leave Daisy at home this time. So I'll be following the very route those storms/tornadoes followed the past couple of days. Having been in hurricane's and many Florida thunderstorms I totally agree with Protagonist's points... although blizzards in a camper can be fun ('till the gas runs out). So remember his points, and you should be safe. As an aside, 79Tow was lucky to not have the pole fall on his AS....shows we all try to do what we think is best at the time. Safe travels. jon
Old 02-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Dark Clouds

Agree...one of my first thoughts when I saw the reports. Heavy heart for those who were lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
News quote: "2nd death confirmed from tornado at Convent (Louisiana) RV park... First responders search for victims in the debris of the Sugar Hill RV Park in Convent after a powerful tornado struck on Tuesday (afternoon), February 23, 2016."

Were any AirForums members camped there?

Our thoughts and prayers go out to victims of this disaster and their families.

==========

Link to news articles:

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&e...+February+2016