Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Hopefully, NTTA has changed how they find your address. I had an issue where I incurred tolls on Hwy 121 in Frisco, TX about the time the toll road opened. For a while the road was free then one weekend they started charging. I got off as soon as I realized and figured I'd pay the $2 or $3 for the bill. After a week or so I forgot all about that day. About 6 months later I get a bill from a collection agency for about $75. I called NTTA and told them I never received a bill. They said they send the bill to the address that is on the title of the car. I told them why they didn't send it to the address on the registration that is performed every year and is kept more current when moving. I failed to get a new title to my old car since moving two addresses ago. Just wasn't on my mind. I was told the databases aren't linked. I got the bill reduced to $35. Funny how the collection agency was able to find my current address and the govt run NTTA couldn't.

So if you are using NTTA toll roads make sure your title has your current address.

Kelvin

Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The Toll Road system is Texas is ...stoopid.
If you drive thru a camera booth in Dallas or Austin you will be mailed a bill. If you do that in Houston you get a warrant for your arrest and a high-dollar fine.

I hate toll roads and avoided them for many years. (Simple Fact: Texas politicians, mostly repugnicans, have endorsed and promoted the system and the toll road managing/authorities have contributed to their pockets. In some cases, right-of-ways which were created under "eminent domain" stole private property and converted it to toll roads, and in some other cases roadways which were already publicly owned and paid for were converted to toll roads and their side-feeders were converted to the "free" lanes. With a stop-sign/traffic light at every intersection to pizz you off and encourage you to use the toll-lanes your taxes paid for years ago.

Yes, the 20-cent gas tax hasn't changed in a long time.... BUT... taxes have increased on vehicle registrations/licensing/inspection to make up the difference and new taxes have been imposed on other fuels and on tank-farm/bulk-stations which add to the revenue supposedly used for public roadways...but which is often siphoned off to construct toll roads... which then go bankrupt. (CHeck out the recent history of Austin's hwy 130)

Personal True Story: I once attempted to drive to the Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to gift some grapefruit to another pilot-buddy. My plan was to put the fruit in his personal airplane's baggage compartment. I drove via a printed map, and saw a street-sign directing traffic to IAH. I made the turn and found myself going up an "on ramp"... unseen from the public street at the top of the ramp was a toll-booth. Immediately AFTER the tollbooth was an exit.... Total distance travelled was ONLY thru that specific toll-booth, which was completely UNMARKED and NO signage indicated to a driver that a toll road was being entered via that ramp.
I informed the booth-operator I had no desire to enter the toll road and only wanted to exit at that exit only a few feet past the booth. He informed me the toll was 25-cents. I told him no sign had warned of the toll-road entrance and I did not wish to enter...only to exit. He said it was 25-cents. (OK,... I admit it...but this was a matter of PRINCIPLE now... there should have been signage warning of the toll... and the public sign pointing this direction to the airport should have also noted it was via toll.)
The booth operator said he couldn't allow me to pass without paying... unless a police officer approved it. So, I asked for a police officer.
He radioed for the toll-road police and when the officer responded on-air... Mr. Booth told him he had a motorist who was "refusing to pay the toll". I interrupted and said, "Don't tell him that! That is untrue! I am not refusing to pay, I am wanting a police officer to come determine that improper signage exists and that no toll should be required to simply exit!"
The constable arrived and issued a citation for refusing to pay the toll. When I tried to explain that ...I... was the person requesting his presence (not the booth) he threatened to arrest me, so I paid the 25-cents by handing the booth a quarter.... and the constable turned to leave.
But when I asked the booth to give me a receipt for the toll.... the constable turned around and shouted, "NO!" and I then asked how I was supposed to pass the gate to the exit. ... the constable told the booth to open the gate.
I asked the constable to follow me so I could show him the lack of signage. (Both he and the booth insisted that proper signage existed. They were both wrong.) He said he'd follow to see what I desired...but he did not.

I drove thru the exit and via a curcuituous route returned to where I'd first seen the sign directing to the airport and confirmed NO indication that a toll road was being directed.
Two weeks later I drove from Austin to Houston to appear in court and found I'd wasted a day off and 8 hours driving because the clerk only wanted to hear how I planned to plea. (I'd already had that conversation via long-distance and the same clerk had set the date for me to appear. Now I had to "formally" make the plea.)
I asked for a trial by jury. I was warned that if I didn't appear that I would also have to pay a penalty for the jury. I agreed.
I drove back to the signage point to video the drive thru the roadway and up the ramp. While turning onto the ramp, it just so happened that a constable pulled in behind me...purely a coincidence... but when I pulled over to the shoulder to photograph the ramp without a toll-sign.... the constable got out of his car and came up to me and threatened me with a citation for stopping on the roadside of a toll way. (I was not yet on the damn toll way.) So I moved on and simply let the video camera run.
A month later, I appeared in court again (another day off from work and 8 hour round-trip to Houston) to represent myself in front of a jury... and the prosecutor asked me how I planned to plea.
I replied, NOT GUILTY... and stated I was ready to proceed. The prosecutor stated that I would receive a notice of trial date in the mail. I stated I'd already rec'd that... I'd already requested trial by jury...and that was WHY I WAS HERE!
The prosecutor said that today was not available and a new date would be set by mail. I am now so damn mad that I am determined to carry this all the way through!
Another month passed and (it just so happened to be my birthday) I rec'd an ordinary letter in the mail from the court. It stated that the trial by jury would begin at 8 A. M..... THIS DAY! It was ALREADY 3 PM! It was ORDINARY mail...not even certified, and postmarked two days earlier! It warned that if I missed the trial by jury that an arrest warrant would be issued and that fines would be imposed to cover the cost by jury!

Needless to say... I was doubly PIZZED!

I called the court clerk and told her about the letter and she informed me that if I sent $125 via certified mail the case would be entered "no contest" and dropped.

I don't care for Texas Toll Roads and Repugnant Texas Politicians who create and support them and their friends who "manage" them.

My wife loves to tell the story of how I'd lost three days of work and 24 hours driving 500 miles round-trip three different times to avoid paying 25-cents.

Did I mention how I hate toll roads?

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I was camped in Ft. Worth and decided to visit the local Ikea in the area. I wan't pulling the trailer but the highway I was on turned into a toll road. I kept waiting for a toll booth and figured that when I exited, one would be present. No toll booth and I took the same route back to the campsite. I told my brother who lives down there and he told me to expect a letter from the state since cameras would get my plates. He also warned me that the toll would be higher due to the fact that they have to collect it via tracing your plates.

Fast forward it's been 5 years since that trip and I've never received any communications for payment of the toll. I'm just wondering if the state you live in has any factor in the ability of Texas to find you. My gut is that either Missouri may not cooperate with these types of toll collection, or possibly tacks some fee for the service that Texas isn't willing to pay. The other possibility is that our state government is disfunctional enough that the request sat on someone's desk or email and eventually found it's way to the waste can. Our state workers have some of the worst pay in the nation so it wouldn't surprise me that these mundane requests aren't treated with any urgency.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
You're lucky the NTTA didn't send your bill to the collectors.

Kelvin
Old 05-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Looking at the rate chart for one location, the first on my list of charges: (cash rate)
Merritt Main Lane Gantry (MLG5)
2 axle: $2.55
4 axle: $7.65

I do have some back pedaling to do. My original statement said $1.17 per mile but I calculated wrong, using one way mileage for the entire cost. Instead of $1.17 per mile it's really $.59 per mile. D'oh!

By comparison, the Florida turnpike is $9 for 4 axles to go 42 miles, $.21 per mile. Florida, like Texas, triples the charge for 4 axles over 2 axles.

I haven't moved since I got the TV and AS, so title and registration match. At least I got that going for me.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
[snip.... a lot more snipping....]
I don't care for Texas Toll Roads and Repugnant Texas Politicians who create and support them and their friends who "manage" them.

My wife loves to tell the story of how I'd lost three days of work and 24 hours driving 500 miles round-trip three different times to avoid paying 25-cents.

Did I mention how I hate toll roads?
Mr. Boxite, you are a man after my own heart. You certainly deserve some kind of award, badge or medal for your efforts. I doubt that all of that is good for your blood pressure or health in general, but I certainly understand your drive. "Man on a mission" covers it. You need to be some kind of advocate for somebody or some issue.

I salute you for your efforts.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We were down in the Houston area for most of January and February. Many of the highways are toll roads, but almost all of them have an outer road that is free. Yes, you may have a traffic signal every mile or so, but you can get around without paying tolls.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Once upon a time, the taxes paid by fuel charges built our roads. So, where did it all go? I don't see crews out maintaining roads.... It is worth paying attention to...... that 'toll roads' were anathema until someone came to Texas who were 'accustomed" to paying 'tolls'... The whole 'environmental' discussion issue should say .. "we built these roads to minimize environmental impact.".... Uh, yeah.. riiiight.

Sorry to be throwing something into the punch bowl...but, don't drink the koolaid ..

Those who can effect the necessary changes... us... we are the fanatics now....

BTW... there was a consortium from Spain who 'Built' the troll roads around Austin... toll booths were built.. to employ folks... they are unused. Big Generators, propane tanks.. just sitting there... closed... vacant. hmmm

Yeaaahhh..

The only 'shovel ready' projects are going to bury us.

There, that should get me banned.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
BTW... there was a consortium from Spain who 'Built' the troll roads around Austin... toll booths were built.. to employ folks... they are unused. Big Generators, propane tanks.. just sitting there... closed... vacant. hmmm

Yeaaahhh..

The only 'shovel ready' projects are going to bury us.

There, that should get me banned.
Yeah, saw those toll booths, thought I had missed the turn off for them. I understand why they don't use the booths. If I had been stopped to pay that first toll ($7.65) I would have gotten off of it right there, never to return. But since I didn't know what it was going to cost me, and maybe I would eventually come upon a toll booth where I could ask, I just kept going. Pretty smart of the NTTA.

But they are very nice booths, rotting, rusting, behind the chain link fence.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE