Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Almost all toll road operations can bill any vehicle from any state or province, through reciprocity agreements. Not paying can mean a hold on your registration renewal, or a lien on the vehicle. More toll roads are all electronic, no cash lanes, no toll booths, best rate for those with a transponder, bill by plate results in admin fees in addition to the tolls. Miami Dade area toll roads are this way, no toll booths, no cash options, so it is a royal pain getting to and from the Keys. Florida uses what is known as the N-1 method, meaning the per axle charge is multiplied by the number of axles less one axle. In effect, it means each axle of the Airstream will cost the same as the tow vehicle. There are discounts for buying a transponder, and loading the account, but the transponder system used in Florida does not work anywhere else, such as with EZ Pass states, and, vice versa.

At one time, toll roads had no federal highway funding at all, but that has changed. Some money is funneled into toll roads, which I don't agree with. That is what the toll is for, after all, to pay the bonds floated to build the road.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Florida Sun Pass has worked on toll roads in North Carolina for the last year.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Being the Cheap Charlie that I am I have figured a way to avoid some tolls. I fight the traffic using 95 through Philadelphia to avoid the Del. Mem Bridge toll. I think it's $12 with our Airstream. It's pretty easy to avoid the highway toll in Delaware ( that's $8 charged both directions ) and the Maryland toll is northbound only. I can also detour around and skip the northbound MD toll but it's probably a 10-15 min delay. So if the delay is worth $16 I do it. If not I suck it up and pay. Just one of the challenges I take on when it suites me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Sorry for the experience on the Dallas Tollways. I hate them myself but at certain times find that they are the most direct and quickest way around and I use them. As a TX resident by all means a Tolltag is the best way to go for best rates.

Not sure which tollway you travelled on those times from Lewisville as I35E goes right through Lewisville. I am assuming the Sam Rayburn Tollway (Hwy 121) It is posted along that road in many places what the applicable tolls are and unfortunately, multi axles are pretty high rates. That said, I used the 131 Toll around Austin pulling a Polaris (single axle) trailer and it charged an outrageous rate. Called and they reduced the rate as there was some error on their side and registered it double each time it went through a camera. Might be worth a call. I was just on the Sam Rayburn yesterday but didn't pay attention to the fee. Will look next time I am on it as you have peaked my interest.

We got caught up in the Chicago area last year and it seemed every Interstate was a tollway, which to me frustrated me as they are Federally Funded (I thought) Interstates yet tolls, and high at that. Ended up traveling many miles further but avoided all tolls.

Safe travels.

Chuck
Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
Not sure which tollway you travelled on those times from Lewisville as I35E goes right through Lewisville. I am assuming the Sam Rayburn Tollway (Hwy 121) It is posted along that road in many places what the applicable tolls are and unfortunately, multi axles are pretty high rates.
Safe travels.
Chuck
Coming through strange roads it is sometimes difficult to watch for the toll signs. Usually they are pretty easy to see, but I was looking for the toll booths. I had just paid tolls on the Florida Turnpike a few days before and they weren't very much, certainly not what Texas charged.

I was using my Waze app and it took me off I-30 to the George Bush Turnpike. After that I think we went North on I-35e. We went back the same way and the charges are exactly the same. They have a picture of the AS license plate and it is identified as a 2006 travel trailer on my registration. Their bill says 2006 LF. The TV page says 2004 Toyota 4RU. The license plate says house trailer, not a commercial plate.
These are the segment charges, each way:

It's a lesson learned for us. There are other roads that will get me to Lewisville and I'm not in any hurry. We won't be back for another year at the earliest but I think I'll come in by US380 on the north side. It can't be any worse than US82 coming across Arkansas.

I pity the people who live there and have to pay those rates. In Kentucky the section of I-65 from Louisville to Bowling Green was a toll road for decades, long after the road was paid for. John Y. Brown made removing it a campaign promise and was elected. They were removed the year he took office. Our major roads are just fine and a lot smoother than that concrete washboard in Dallas.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Sorry for the experience on the Dallas Tollways. I hate them myself but at certain times find that they are the most direct and quickest way around and I use them. As a TX resident by all means a Tolltag is the best way to go for best rates.

Not sure which tollway you travelled on those times from Lewisville as I35E goes right through Lewisville. I am assuming the Sam Rayburn Tollway (Hwy 121) It is posted along that road in many places what the applicable tolls are and unfortunately, multi axles are pretty high rates. That said, I used the 131 Toll around Austin pulling a Polaris (single axle) trailer and it charged an outrageous rate. Called and they reduced the rate as there was some error on their side and registered it double each time it went through a camera. Might be worth a call. I was just on the Sam Rayburn yesterday but didn't pay attention to the fee. Will look next time I am on it as you have peaked my interest.

We got caught up in the Chicago area last year and it seemed every Interstate was a tollway, which to me frustrated me as they are Federally Funded (I thought) Interstates yet tolls, and high at that. Ended up traveling many miles further but avoided all tolls.

Safe travels.

Chuck

Those Chicago area tollways, most of them, had no federal funding when built, but may have had aid when improved, widened, etc. It's not right, in my mind, to charge a toll on a road receiving federal funding. But, who am I? Just a lowly voter.....

Tom
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Coming through strange roads it is sometimes difficult to watch for the toll signs. Usually they are pretty easy to see, but I was looking for the toll booths. I had just paid tolls on the Florida Turnpike a few days before and they weren't very much, certainly not what Texas charged.

I was using my Waze app and it took me off I-30 to the George Bush Turnpike. After that I think we went North on I-35e. We went back the same way and the charges are exactly the same. They have a picture of the AS license plate and it is identified as a 2006 travel trailer on my registration. Their bill says 2006 LF. The TV page says 2004 Toyota 4RU. The license plate says house trailer, not a commercial plate.
These are the segment charges, each way:

It's a lesson learned for us. There are other roads that will get me to Lewisville and I'm not in any hurry. We won't be back for another year at the earliest but I think I'll come in by US380 on the north side. It can't be any worse than US82 coming across Arkansas.

I pity the people who live there and have to pay those rates. In Kentucky the section of I-65 from Louisville to Bowling Green was a toll road for decades, long after the road was paid for. John Y. Brown made removing it a campaign promise and was elected. They were removed the year he took office. Our major roads are just fine and a lot smoother than that concrete washboard in Dallas.
Agree with strange roads and looking for signs. Just mentioning that they are in fact there. I am not sure if there are true Toll Booths anywhere in TX anymore. I travel the State regularly and I believe that they all changed to the camera's/readers. My mention to check with them on the rates was just to let you know they do make mistakes, as I experienced one of those mistakes.In looking at those ages those do seem high. I had glanced at the rate sheet after I responded yesterday and they weren't that high from what I remember, so again, sorry for the experience. If you wanted to review, www.NTTA.org has the rate charts and maps.

Hwy 380 is a good road, but tons of construction along most of the route from 75 West to I35E. And TONS of traffic. I have a horse we keep up that way and travel that route regularly. If you go all the way into Denton, exit and take the Loop. You will be thankful, but still expect major construction on I35 from Denton to Lewisville which seems to been going on for years and is still many years from completion.

Safe Travels,

Chuck
Old 05-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
Those Chicago area tollways, most of them, had no federal funding when built, but may have had aid when improved, widened, etc. It's not right, in my mind, to charge a toll on a road receiving federal funding. But, who am I? Just a lowly voter.....

Tom
With you 100% on that statement Tom. Was my thoughts exactly when I went through them and thought that was probably the case, that the tolls charged for improvements, etc. Still seems wrong but what do I know.

Chuck
Old 05-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We rented a Bambi for two months and drove to the Keys. Our pickup has a FL Sunpass transponder and we registered the Bambi with our Sunpass. On the FL Turnpike sometimes we were charged for three axles and sometimes four. Generally one phone call would fix the bill and once or twice it took two phone calls. My running balance was high enough that the bill repair was simple. I don't know what would have happened if the incorrect bill would have sent our balance negative.

One operator explained that the mistake could have happened if someone followed us too closely thru the toll plaza. Baloney.

Check your bills!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
[QUOTE=silverlabs;1795449Hwy 380 is a good road, but tons of construction along most of the route from 75 West to I35E. And TONS of traffic. I have a horse we keep up that way and travel that route regularly. If you go all the way into Denton, exit and take the Loop. You will be thankful, but still expect major construction on I35 from Denton to Lewisville which seems to been going on for years and is still many years from completion.

Safe Travels,

Chuck[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Chuck, while we were there I went up I-35e several times to be with my son in Sanger, so I know about the construction. I didn't have any problems with it, traveled in the non-rush hour times. I'll check on the rates, thanks for the link.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 05-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We haven't raised the gasoline tax since 1992. Best user fee devised, but now neglected. So, toll roads are the "answer".

I use them whenever I can. Less traffic and better maintenance, as a rule. Fewer bad drivers with bad cars is the other benefit.

Toll tag or EZPass. Whatever one can be used nationwide is the way to go.

No road is free.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Kentucky is widening I-75 from 4 to 6 lane from border to border. We haven't raised our gasoline tax either, but we don't charge $1.17 a mile to use the road. We don't charge for any of them that I know of. Georgia has many new roads, no tolls that I know of. I was on the Florida turnpike with my AS, went about 60 miles, paid less than $7, as I recall.

I pay tolls, I don't mind paying most tolls, and for my car the toll was very reasonable. I used the Dallas tollways during my 2 week stay. I used them every day. When I pulled my double axle trailer in and then out, the toll was double for all my car's usage of that tollway for the entire 2 weeks. That's gouging, not a fair toll.

Roads should be for everyone, not just the elite and tolls should reflect a fair usage of that road.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Tolls are too expensive for the distance traveled in urban areas. Considering the millions of cars that use toll roads in urban areas daily you'd think the tolls would be cheaper than something like the Will Rogers Turnpike from Missouri to Tulsa, OK. It would cost me more to travel from Carrollton to Richardson on the NTTA in DFW than to drive from Missouri state line to Tulsa.

Kelvin
Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
My mention to check with them on the rates was just to let you know they do make mistakes, as I experienced one of those mistakes.In looking at those ages those do seem high. I had glanced at the rate sheet after I responded yesterday and they weren't that high from what I remember, so again, sorry for the experience. If you wanted to review, www.NTTA.org has the rate charts and maps.

Safe Travels,
Chuck
According to their site, I'm being charged for 4 axles, which is correct, it matches the bill. I still feel it's totally unfair. If I come back I plan on avoiding all of the toll roads and since I'm retired, additional travel time is not an issue.

Thanks for the link.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE