Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
Dallas RV Park Rec's

Hi All - Saw an old thread on this topic from '07 and thought perhaps we could update it. We will be heading to N Dallas for some warranty work and are looking for any park recommendations. Will be staying on for a week or two after the work so would be interested in something commutable to the city. I know Dallas has some lakes. Any nice parks near the water?

dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
The Vineyards Campground on Lake Grapevine

You bettcha. We just finished up spending two weeks at The Vineyards Campground on Lake Grapevine. Wonderful campground owned and operated by the city of Grapevine, gated and right on the water across from the marina. You'd have trouble finding anything closer to a centerpoint in the DFW area. Top notch, lots of space between sites, trees, full hookups on selected sites, bath house, big rigs and small rigs welcome, pets welcome, boat ramps, covered picnic tables, playground and just a great site in the middle of the metroplex. Boardered by a subdivision, school and close to Bass Pro, Grapevine Mills Mall and The Gaylord Texan. Good luck.

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2002 27' Safari
Arlington , Texas
I also recommend the Vineyards. We just spent our first weekend with our trailer there and found it to be great. It's an excellent location - just about any place in Dallas or Fort Worth is within about a 30 minute drive.
Mike & Diane

"The written word will soon disappear, and we'll no longer be able to read good prose like we used to could." - James Thurber
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
30' 1999 Excella
Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Ditto The Vineyards - best campground in Dallas.
Hey, its the only way to be sure!
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
can't finish anyth
2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas

I agree! Very nice park with great ammenities and close to shopping. It's also Close to N. Dallas RV Service, so there won't be a huge commute.

Another (cheaper) option is Cedar Hill State Park located just South of I-20 and West of US67. The exit is FM1385 (Beltline). The Park is on Joe Pool Lake and offers hiking and mountain bike trails as well as some great hills. Some of the sites are full hookup. I lived there for a month when I first moved to Dallas. It's less expensive for a short-term stay, but it is more "rustic" than the "high-end" Vinyard.

Most of the private parks are pretty scary and the others are way far for being in-town.

That's my $0.02,

Dallas, TX
2010 28' International CCD
(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Vineyards is pretty, but Sandy Lake (not pretty) is outstanding location for ND R-V, and to all D/FW due to location on Bush Tollroad (access to N-D Tollway); and on I-35 (avoid). We're from Dallas and consider S-L to work best. It's very easy in D/FW to have a 10-mile drive turn into 45"-60" due to the narrow 0900-1100 "light" traffic, daily. The toll roads make a BIG difference on getting in/out of Dallas . . if that is important.

The best restaurants, the museums, the best shopping is pretty much from downtown Dallas to Loop 12. Past that is the chain store wasteland to be found anywhere (with very few exceptions).

Were I at Vineyards then make an 0830 departure for day trips, and return starting no later than 0330 pm from either FW or Dallas.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Check out the Lake Lewisville City park. We have stayed there several times and you can't beat the price. It's just off IH-35 in Lewisville.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Depending on when you are in the area, check what is going on at the North Texas Speedway(NASCAR track ) off I35w. I think the next function there is around April 12 to the 16th. It may be a cool place to visit, or one to stay far away from, you decide.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote

dallas, parks