Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I find that I seem to do better when not using control unless the road is absolutely flat. In cruise it seems to down shift more often than when I am able to manually put lighter pressure on the throttle. Jack

Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Belington , West Virginia
I think it is generally accepted that most vehicles will see improved fuel mileage when the automatic speed control is engaged simply because of smoother and more consistent throttle control. This is especially true when on flat even terrain and over longer periods of time as already stated.

But, there will be times when the speed control cannot anticipate the upcoming hill and then poors on the gas trying to maintain speed or downshifting on the downhill for the same reason. In these situations I think the "foot feed" does better. I use both. I set the speed control and then supplement it by slightly speeding up when approaching a hill and then coasting on the downhill.

Also, when using the resume function, you should bring the car up to the target speed using the accelerator pedal. Then hit resume.

RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post

Also, when using the resume function, you should bring the car up to the target speed using the accelerator pedal. Then hit resume.

Good point. If you just hit resume, a lot of times it downshifts and pours on the gas to get up to the set speed ASAP. I'd slowly increase speed to where I want to be and just reset itódon't even have to exactly match it that way.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Fly-by wire..

Anyone else out there getting used to the electronic throttle.

Took some getting used to at first. With the old Burb you could actually feel the pedal move when the cruise was engaged, not so any more. It really does feel much more precise, although with so little resistance you gotta be very light-footed.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
I'm with Gene... cruise control = no foot cramps.
DaveAbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I use cruise control whenever it is appropriate. My wife does not. We both drive at the same freeway speed. Towing we consistently get 1-2 MPG more when I drive than when she does. That is about a 10 - 15% increase. This is based on the truck's computer's MPG readout. If I badger her enough, she will turn on the cruse control. Then she gets about the same MPG as I do.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
My big problem with cruise control is when going through mountains - such as in West Virginia where we recently traveled. Going uphill, the 'burb is adamant about keeping the speed at the predetermined rate - if that means shifting down a couple of times. It will really race and I know that is using more fuel than I would use by manually depressing the accelerator, slightly. We got so tired of the racing engine that I turned it off while in the "hills". I will not resume using it when in hilly country - in fact, since the auto is new to us, we often drive with the owner's manual close by and we discovered they recommend NOT using it when in hills. In basically flat country, I find it very handy to use and its not something I've gotten used to in the past. I kinda like the right circumstances.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #22
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
On big trucks the use of cruise control is proven. Period. While one might take it off for hilly terrain, these vehicles are otherwise much more sensitive to grades of any sort than RV's.

If there's no need to shift up or down for terrain, then CC is the better choice overall (not just converter unlock or even moving from overdrive to direct).

I have mine on at the end of the highway entrance ramp if traffic allows, and don't turn it off until the exit ramp.

Don't forget the effect of aerodynamic resistance. A lower cruise speed allows the CC to work easier, in general, as the horsepower demand is not so high.

In the 1960's -- when CC was good enough to maintain a 5-mph variance up or down on changing terrain -- this argument in the end came down to time versus fuel mileage. With a decent cruise speed being more important to fuel mileage the use of CC allowed for more awareness of what is outside the vehicle, thus it trumps any marginal mpg gain.

CC should be "cancelled" any time:

One is passing

CC should be turned off completely any time:

Reduced visibility (night, fog, winding roads)
Wet road surface
Driver fatigue
Metro traffic

Mpg is better increased by zero-ing out idle time, planning all stops in advance, avoiding lane-changing, better braking procedure, tire pressures according to load, etc.

CC is a proven aid to the vehicle in terms of fuel mileage. Kansas is not West Virginia, but most Interstates are graded, curved, etc to allow cross-country use of CC under beneficial conditions empty, loaded, or towing.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
That sounds logical. I've had my cruise control force a downshift on an uphill at 70 MPH where if I was operating throttle, I'd accept a speed loss to avoid the downshift.

In my vehicles the cruise control uses stronger throttle motions than I'm accustomed to using while steady cruise.
Similar experiences, My cruise control saves fuel on level, hills forces downshift to lower gear, no way can higher rpms get better fuel mileage. I do watch for rpms not letting the motor lug.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mountainair , New Mexico
cruise mileage numbers

I just returned from a trip to Pensacola, FL from St. Petersburg, FL. For part of the trip I left the trailer at the Suwannee River State Park and drove without to Pensacola. I have a 2008 GMC with the Duramax/Allison drivetrain. Because my wife conks out with 20 minutes of freeway driveing, I had to have some way to entertain myself so I decided to play with the cruise control/ no cruise idea using my trip computer. By the way this North Florida area is rolling hill country.

With cruise on and no trailer I averaged 18.8 mpg at 75 mph. With cruise off and letting the truck speed up some normally on the downhill, (never exceeding 80), and then slowing down some on the uphill, (never less than 70), I averaged 20.8 mpg. I tried to keep my gas pedal position constant as best I could.

With the trailer, a 2008 27FB Safari SE, under the same conditions but averaging 65 mph I got 13.8 mpg with cruise and 14.4 mpg off of cruise.

I often use cruise so that I don't have to keep my foot in the same position all the time. I was surprised at the difference in mileage I got between cruise and no cruise. Also, because the terrain was rolling I doubt that I would see that kind of difference on flat ground.
sk8r29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There is no real controversy. Some driver/car combinations do better with cruise, some do not. Towing, I can beat the cruise in my Dodge diesel. But I let it speed up a little down hill and let it slow down a lot up hill. The cruise had the annoying characteristic of seeming to slow the rig a little at the bottom of a downhill right where you you want it rolling out and then increasing the speed by 1 or 2 mpg uphill. The milage killer for towing with a diesel is stopping. Every rest area stop drops the milage significantly on the overhead. And I have to hit almost every one.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you have a vehicle which has a dash function for INSTANTANEOUS fuel economy, and you experiment with cruise only vs. your foot, you'll be surprised that the downshift and wind up of the engine with cruise DOES NOT decrease fuel economy! Trust the technology. Sometimes it's it's counter intuitive, but a downshift and all the related noise is the best the driver information on the IC. It's true!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Watched the Sienna's computer using and not using cruise control; it was better on cruise than not, no matter how hard I tried to better it. The terrain was pretty flat though, so I don't know how scientific the test really was.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Tom Cruise

I very seldom use the cc as I find I have a better feel of the machine and the road when I take full control. It is annoying to have to keep flipping the toggle on the exhaust break with every change of elevation. About the only thing I use the cc for is for high idle for a few moments at first start and at the rest stops.
As far as speed control, I let my Tom/Tom remind me if I am getting over my desired speed. (thats when my wife doesn't tell be first)
I always thought I could do better than any cc, especially on a turbo unit, as with the delay on the turbo, the cc tends to surge to find the sweet spot.

Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Watched the Sienna's computer using and not using cruise control; it was better on cruise than not, no matter how hard I tried to better it. The terrain was pretty flat though, so I don't know how scientific the test really was.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote