Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Crowdsourcing a Medical Emergencies Checklist

Maggie's recent posts about Doug's tragic passing have no doubt touched us all. I've never met them but feel so connected through this forum. And on that point - we've all had our long debates about hitches, tires, tow vehicles, etc., but the outpouring of unity, compassion, love, prayers and helpful offers to support a family in need has been wonderfully affirming. It both humbles me, and makes me proud to be a part of such a community (if that makes sense).

Through all the emotions their story evokes, perhaps some of us wondered (as I did) - what if that were me/us? Would we know what to do? We talk about checklists for setting up and tearing down camp, but what about checklists for situations we hope we are never in - but would need in that moment desperately when there isn't time to think or make it up on the fly?

So I thought we could gather the collective wisdom of this wonderfully thoughtful group to help compile a comprehensive list of tools, apps, providers, tips, actions, etc. to be prepared for something we all hope never happens.

I'll start the next reply with a list of questions to begin compiling the "kit". If you have other questions that can help build a kit feel free to add them. And of course, thanks in advance for answering these questions and sharing your wisdom. As this thread evolves, perhaps we'll get to a place where we can have a fairly definitive approach/toolkit that can become a "sticky" and be a helpful aid to campers for years to come.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
QUESTIONS TO BUILD OUR MEDICAL EMERGENCY KIT

If you already have a medical emergency plan/checklist already, please post.

I also suppose some of these questions would be answered differently if you were in transit vs. at camp...

1) in the event of a medical emergency, what is the first thing you must do?
2) is there anything you should not do or should stop doing?
3) if you have an existing condition, allergy, medication, etc., how are you prepared to inform others (e.g., first responders) if you're unable to communicate for any reason?
4) what materials must you carry with you in your rig? (e.g., first aid kits, emergency signaling tools, etc.)
5) what materials must you carry on your person when on an excursion (hiking, biking, kayaking, etc) ?
6) who (generically) should you inform of your travel plans in advance of your trip and what information should you share with them?
7) who (generically) would you want to be contacted and how would that happen if you we're unable to reach out?
8 ) what information should you provide campground management on your arrival?
9) if you travel with a spouse, children, friends, parents, pets; what role should they play and how should they be taken care of (e.g., be taken care of at the campsite, join you at the hospital, get back home, etc.) ? Is there something they need to know in advance?
10) is someone in your party trained in CPR?
11) what apps are most helpful in medical emergencies and why?
12) what services/service providers are most helpful and why?

What other questions - and answers - should we consider to be prepared?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
What a great idea for a thread.

From my years working with the film industry, I've learned that you always know two things when going on a shoot: the weather and the location of the nearest hospital.

Both of these are at the top of every single call sheet I've ever seen.

When we go camping, I make sure to know both of the above.

Also, basic first aid and CPR training is something everybody should be able to perform.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't have answers to all these questions but here are a few.

1) in the event of a medical emergency, what is the first thing you must do?

I'm assuming dial 911 but when traveling and with cell phones, I'm not sure you always get to the most local first responders. If others are around you would likely want to tell someone to dial 911 and someone else to notify the campsite office while you tend to the person having the emergency.

3) if you have an existing condition, allergy, medication, etc., how are you prepared to inform others (e.g., first responders) if you're unable to communicate for any reason?

A wallet card seems like a must. I've also searched for "ICE" or In Case of Emergency apps which tend to host this info on your smartphone (I don't use one yet - I need to study this more). One app had a voice record feature that allowed you to pre record info that can be played by first responders when they arrive.

4) what materials must you carry with you in your rig? (e.g., first aid kits, emergency signaling tools, etc.)

Standard first aid kit, aspirin, bandages. I just ordered a set of those reflective triangles should we have an emergency on the road and need to warm traffic.

6) who (generically) should you inform of your travel plans in advance of your trip and what information should you share with them?

I'm thinking one key family member or friend who can reach out to others on our behalf should be aware of our travel schedule and locations.

7) who (generically) would you want to be contacted and how would that happen if you we're unable to reach out?

Some of the ICE apps I looked at had a mass-text feature where multiple contacts would receive an emergency text when activated.

I'm thinking a list of meds (although that's a HIPPA/Privacy challenge), known allergies and a key emergency contact name and phone number are a must. I've never done that but think I will going forward.

9) if you travel with a spouse, children, friends, parents, pets; what role should they play and how should they be taken care of (e.g., be taken care of at the campsite, join you at the hospital, get back home, etc.) ? Is there something they need to know in advance?

Here I'm thinking about the Travel Assist plan I bought (mine's from Good Sam but I have no idea if they're great or not). This includes everything up to airlift to a hospital if needed, driving the rig to my home, caring for my dog, etc. As for info needed in advance, clarity on extraordinary measures or DNR instructions seem key as well.

I took EMT training in high school and believe I have the "muscle memory" to perform CPR. There are some apps for that too.

I downloaded the US Army Survival Guide and it has some great tips for medical emergencies and several other emergency situations. Much more to learn here.

12) what services/service providers are most helpful and why?

See above re: Travel Assist insurance.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Your ICE number should be displayed on the lock screen of your phone - for Android, you can do that in the settings. On mine, I've got both a recovery number if I lose the phone and somebody wants to return it for a reward and an ICE number.

Emergency personnel will recognize ICE and act accordingly.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Medic Alert Bracelet listing your most critical conditions.
Business card for your primary care physician in your wallet right behind your driver's license.
Quote:
Marine trauma first-aid kit. A marine trauma kit starts from the assumption that outside medical aid ain't just an ambulance call away, and assumes further that you're going to hurt yourself beyond the ability of band-aids and aspirin to fix. West Marine stocks good ones in several sizes. But the off-the-shelf kits are a starting point only; no matter what kit you get, you'll have to customize it to suit your preexisting conditions. An emergency oxygen bottle may come in handy for anyone who sometimes has difficulty breathing, for example. Google "emergency o2 bottle" to find a source. They aren't cheap, though; a 90-minute supply will run you over $300 for the kit, though refills are cheaper.
Quote:
If you've got a medical condition that could incapacitate you on the road, definitely your primary care physician. Discuss your trip with him before you head out so that (a) he can recommend any precautions specific to your condition; and (b) he knows that if he gets a call from a doctor on the far edge of nowhere, it's likely to be important.
Also someone who has been granted limited power of attorney to act on your behalf. Note "Limited" power of attorney; discuss the matter with a real attorney to see what kind of limits to place on the power of attorney.
Quote:
How much you disclose to non-medical-professional strangers about your conditions is a personal matter. Some people try to hide their condition for the sake of personal pride or simple shyness; others have no secrets and will tell anyone.
Quote:
CPR is a mixed blessing. You don't start chest compressions if their heart is still beating, and if it's not still beating, once you start, you can't stop until there's someone else to take over. Unless you've got the stamina to perform CPR for half an hour or more without stopping, you might be better off springing for an AED instead; talk to your physician about that.
Quote:
I have MedSense loaded on my Android tablet. It lets me check drug interactions, so that I know if I'm taking medication X, I can't have medication Y because they interfere with each other, or I can't take medication Z because it has a synergistic effect and makes medication X act like a higher dosage than it really is.
If your medical insurance provider has an app, load it for sure; in an emergency, any care is better than no care, but if you can get care that's covered by your HMO or PPO, that emergency care will cost you a whole lot less.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It lets me check drug interactions, so that I know if I'm taking medication X, I can't have medication Y because they interfere with each other, or I can't take medication Z because it has a synergistic effect and makes medication X act like a higher dosage than it really is.
Which reminds me, carry copies of all of your prescriptions in your wallet. Or at least a list of them; including the name of the physician who prescribed it. And make sure you include any non-prescription vitamins or supplements you take as well; MedSense has taught me that sometimes medication can have adverse reactions to certain vitamin or mineral supplements. One antibiotic I had to take after surgery reacted badly with magnesium, so I had to switch from Centrum to another multivitamin for the duration because it contained magnesium.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
As a result of Maggie's tragic loss, I said to my partner today, "You know. You really need to let me drive sometime. I also need to watch you hitch up and do everything else you do to get going." He is adamant about driving every mile of every trip. (He really doesn't trust my driving.) I'm not sure he really believes me but I think every couple should have this conversation in case of an event like Maggie's.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
One thing Airstream related…I was glad to hear that Maggie has experience driving their Interstate. But on the other hand, my heart went out to her having this be the first time dumping the tanks & winterizing. Fortunately, an Interstate is much like a car - no hitching up.

Women: You need to know how to do these things.
Men: You need to show your partners how to do these things.

It is so important for each traveling companion to know what the other one does. Even if you still have "yours" & "mine" tasks - take the time to walk each other through what you do. You never know when you are going to need to step in due to sickness, injury or a catastrophic event like Maggie's.

Several years ago, my parents were traveling in their tent trailer (I know, sad huh!?) and my dad had a heart attack while towing - he didn't think it was major, he was "too proud" to admit he shouldn't be driving and too concerned that my mother didn't know how to tow. My mother had never pulled their trailer before. He drove himself to the hospital emergency room (I know, stupid!) and my mother was stranded not knowing how to unhitch the camper or pull it or back it, etc.. Yes, there were kind people who helped - but she felt totally helpless and stressed having to learn these things while dealing with my dad's situation. My dad was fortunate to survive, but not without quadruple by-pass surgery and a very long recovery. They ended up having a friend from home fly out to pull their trailer home - but she now knows what to do. If they had been at a campground or remote camping, there may not have been folks around to help.

I strongly encourage folks to practice the tasks of hitching, unhitching, towing & backing - you never know when you are going to need to do something that isn't "your job".

Every year we (DenCO Unit) have a women only seminar called "You CAN Tow It!" at our May Maintenance Rally. Women with many miles under their belts traveling solo and know some tips & tricks, demonstrate how to hitch & back in a casual, low pressure environment that is less intimidating than learning from your spouse. At the end of the seminar, we encourage the women to hitch up and tow away from the rally (with their partner's supervision). It's fabulous to see these women feel so empowered! For many it's the very first time they have sat on the left while towing.

Not to ramble on, but I would encourage others to arrange for similar seminars to share their experiences hitching, towing & backing at Unit or other rallies at least once a year. It's not scary if you know how...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Both Patty and I subscribe to Medic-Alert ($50 annually) which gives us id's that we wear, wallet cards and an 800 number that Medic-Alert answers 24x7. Our records with them contain prescriptions, contacts of family, contacts for doctors, and any special information regarding your condition.

About 2 years ago I subscribed to Good Sam Travel Aid ($100 annually). The guarantees Patty or I helicopter evac if the medical facility we are brought to cannot provide the facilities or care level we need. It also will provide someone qualified to hitch up and to take the trailer and tow vehicle home, along with providing airfare home for either of us. Pets are thought of and provisions are made for their care.

I came down with a bacterial infection back in '82 while camping down in Branson. With help from my son and my wife I got the trailer hitched and drove as far as Springfield Mo. Patty drove for the first time from Springfield to our home in St. Louis. Thankfully we were pulling a 21' Hi-Lo with a van at the time so she had no issues, other than a death grip on the steering wheel all the way home. Our neighbor backed the trailer into the drive and unhitched. I never forgot that and when the Good Sam program came about I subscribed, never wanting to put her in that situation again, especially now pulling a 31' Airstream. If the unfortunate happens and either on of us would pass. The plan also provides services with a local funeral home to get the deceased home.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Some really wonderful advice - please keep it coming.

Sue and I went to a CDL school together to learn to drive our rig. She got it faster than I did. We share driving responsibilities from time to time (though I love it so much I selfishly do most of the driving) but great point about hooking up and disconnecting - I do that myself.

Good pre-checklist item to work on.

Other specific suggestions, tools, apps, etc most welcome!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We should all keep updated medical packet of info in our glove boxes and taped inside a cabinet door, easy to grab in ermergency. Medical history, md numbers, persccriptions etc. typed up wont take up much space, Maggie really reacted so correctly, God love her and protect her on the journey home. I would do exactly what she is doing...drive home...
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
We should all keep updated medical packet of info in our glove boxes and taped inside a cabinet door, easy to grab in ermergency. Medical history, md numbers, persccriptions etc. typed up wont take up much space
Good advice, but I still carry my medical info in my wallet. One thing EVERY hospital will do is check your ID when admitting you, so having my medical info sandwiched between my driver's license and my medical insurance card is the best guarantee that it will be found if I'm not conscious.

Bear in mind, though, I'm a solo Streamer, so I can't necessarily rely on somebody else to grab my info out of a cabinet or glovebox. If I want it found, it has to be on me, not squirreled away in the rig.

Which brings up a point, while you guys are planning for when one of you is incapacitated, what about for when you're BOTH incapacitated? Infections don't play fair, and are as likely to hit you both as to hit one of you.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Something I just remembered…

If you wear a medic alert necklace instead of a bracelet, you might consider getting a small USB flash drive to hang on the necklace and saving all of your medical information to the flash drive in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, so any hospital can access the info from any computer terminal. Good way to carry copies of x-rays, EKGs, lab results from blood tests, basically a complete copy of your entire medical file. Even just a small 1GB flash drive will store your whole medical record with room to spare. If you have a living will, you can put a copy of it on the flash drive, too.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I like the idea of traveling with an AED (defibrillator) on board. Does anyone know of a model that is suitable? It would have to withstand storage at high temperature (in a closed car on a sunny summer day). And it would have to be affordable.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
For those of you still working, many companies have an emergency response team (they go by lots of names); these teams may offer various kinds of training in CPR, first aid and search and rescue and provide first aid/CPR/fire clearance, etc while waiting for professional help to arrive. It is definitely worth volunteering for such teams; you get training and get to practice emergency response and get paid for it at the same time .

One of the things I learned is that if you have access to a land line rather than a cell, the accuracy of 911 dispatch is often much improved since it doesn't automatically get routed via the state patrol (at least, that's how it works here in CA).

Second, recommended CPR and other emergency procedures change over time as more is understood about how best to save lives. If you can, refresh that training periodically.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Maggie's experience has been a big eye opener for me, and is truly frightening. Maggie appears to be handling this admirably. I fear that if something were to happen to me, my wife would not handle it as well. She typically does not handle stressful situations well. She's never towed a trailer, or ever hitched one up. She won't even spot for me while backing (apparently she's scared of giving me bad advice). I can't even get her to learn how to change a tire. She is totally dependent on me for these sorts of things, and I do all of the driving. I discussed Doug and Maggie's situation with her, and she made comments about not wanting to travel because of this type of possibility. I expressed to her that we can't stop living because of remote fears. So this spring I'm going to make a concerted effort to teach her to handle some to these issues. I hope she's responsive.

One thing I've learned over the last few days by observing the outpouring of support for Maggie from this community, is that my wife could find help here if the worst were to happen. We always let friends and family know where we are, but one of the aspects of Airstreaming is being in areas where we may not have a normal support system.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Carrying an AED probably isn't practical for many people. Your talking over $1,000 plus upkeep, battery replacement and maintenance.

I suppose if you have a high probability of need, it could be a good idea. At a minimum, I'd love to see a campaign to get these installed in campgrounds. Sure we be nice to see them in all the Airstream parks.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Maggie's recent posts about Doug's tragic passing have no doubt touched us all...

Through all the emotions their story evokes, perhaps some of us wondered (as I did) - what if that were me/us? Would we know what to do? We talk about checklists for setting up and tearing down camp, but what about checklists for situations we hope we are never in - but would need in that moment desperately when there isn't time to think or make it up on the fly?

So I thought we could gather the collective wisdom of this wonderfully thoughtful group to help compile a comprehensive list of tools, apps, providers, tips, actions, etc. to be prepared for something we all hope never happens...

As this thread evolves, perhaps we'll get to a place where we can have a fairly definitive approach/toolkit that can become a "sticky" and be a helpful aid to campers for years to come.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Being prepared for medical emergencies also includes our pets.

It starts by bringing along documentation including the license, vaccination records, medications, pet first aid kit, veterinarian records, and information about the nearest emergency 24 hour pet clinics/hospitals.

See the AirForums' thread, "Pet First Aid".

It continues by transporting pets in a safe manner.

See "Traveling and Pet Safety".

And it continues by being vigilant while camping.

See the AirForums' threads, "Dog ate my meds", and "No pets left unattended".

When medical emergencies do arise, time is of the essence:

Last November, our Corgi, Tasha, had a ruptured spinal disc. Getting her quickly to the Veterinary Specialty Hospital for emergency surgery enabled her to walk again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2563 Mac in crate for safety.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	207402  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Maggie's experience has been a big eye opener for me, and is truly frightening. Maggie appears to be handling this admirably. I fear that if something were to happen to me, my wife would not handle it as well. She typically does not handle stressful situations well. She's never towed a trailer, or ever hitched one up. She won't even spot for me while backing (apparently she's scared of giving me bad advice). I can't even get her to learn how to change a tire. She is totally dependent on me for these sorts of things, and I do all of the driving. I discussed Doug and Maggie's situation with her, and she made comments about not wanting to travel because of this type of possibility. I expressed to her that we can't stop living because of remote fears. So this spring I'm going to make a concerted effort to teach her to handle some to these issues. I hope she's responsive.

One thing I've learned over the last few days by observing the outpouring of support for Maggie from this community, is that my wife could find help here if the worst were to happen. We always let friends and family know where we are, but one of the aspects of Airstreaming is being in areas where we may not have a normal support system.
Serious Suggestion - your wife may be afraid of messing up in front of you. Naturally timid people CAN master their fears if the problems are chopped up into very small increments. And no matter how supportive you think you're being, she might find you intimidating. Find a woman who tows independently, or organize a "you can tow it rally" and get the towing women to help the rest learn, while you go AWAY and have a beer. Were I teaching your wife, I'd start her off by having her tow a U-haul around some light poles in a vacant parking lot. Two or three figure eights then stop for a break, then repeat. Lesson 2 - pull out of the parking lot, go to the next entrance and pull back in. Baby steps. If your wife panics under stress? Well staying home isn't automatically safe. A fire in the kitchen could happen. Everyone needs to know how to handle a fire, especially a grease fire.

Traditionally, and still today, "really feminine" women ARE dependent, deferential and helpless. Your wife acts the ways she does for three compelling reasons:
  • she feels that it's appropriate or ladylike or attractive
  • it works for her - life has rewarded her or at least allowed her to avoid unpleasant and unfamiliar situations
  • she never learned how to do anything ELSE - be brave is actually meaningless to her, she hasn't a clue how to even attempt that.
Is it a possibility that she was traumatized as a child or adolescent and PTSD is involved? If you can't cajole her into trying to learn this skill set (or something else equally important) then I'd seriously consider therapy - and go with her and support her! And even learn to behave differently if you need to. You might think you're urging her on, when she sees you as intimidating her. That could be all HER perception, but if you can't encourage her in a way that she feels encouraged.. then you COULD learn better ways to help her cope. A lot of women simply don't believe in themselves... even though they've gone through labor and delivery. They don't recognize their own courage.

My dad was totally disabled and hospitalized when I was just entering my teens. I was never super girly-girl (I patched my own bicycle tires and played with my brother's erector set... never could build an erection with it) but after dad got sick someone had to sharpen the mower blades, clean the hairballs out of the sink drains and replace broken pickets on the fence. What feels natural to me NOW comes from doing all of those "boy chores" as a 12 year old. It's practice practice practice.

See you down the road, Paula