Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Carrying an AED probably isn't practical for many people. Your talking over $1,000 plus upkeep, battery replacement and maintenance.

I suppose if you have a high probability of need, it could be a good idea. At a minimum, I'd love to see a campaign to get these installed in campgrounds. Sure we be nice to see them in all the Airstream parks.
From the FAQ page or a group in Washington state that trains people in first aid, CPR, and AED…
Quote:
Only people at risk of sudden cardiac arrest need an AED. You should discuss your risk with your physician and together decide if your risk is high enough to justify the cost of an AED. One manufacturer is authorized to sell an AED without a prescription but the other manufacturers require a prescription.
That bit about the prescription is a good thing; that means that your insurance provider MAY pick up part of the tab. Your physician will probably talk to your insurance provider to see if they will cover part of the cost before giving you the prescription. But ask him to do so, just to be sure.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
At a rally a couple years ago, one of our members suffered a heart attack.

Things that happened:
1. Some people went to help him.
2. Others went to the front gate of the campground we were in to let them know to open the gate and where to direct the ambulance. (It had been called by some people who helped him when he first collapsed.)
3. Others went to the campground office to let them know, since they were due to roll out the next day and obviously wouldn't be doing that. The campground was able to switch an upcoming reservation to a different site and block off that site in their computer.
4. We also checked the camper itself to make sure it was okay - i.e., the tanks weren't in need of being dumped or something like that.
5. We offered to move the camper closer to the hospital where our friend had been taken, since that hospital was two hours away. They elected to stay at the campground since it was an excellent place to relax and recover.

These are all potentially things you'd need to take care of in an emergency like this.

Fortunately, our friend was and is okay.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #23
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
This cell phone app was demonstrated on the television news. It alerts any nearby cpr persons and defib locations enroute to emergency.

Enabling Citizen Superheroes

We always check where the defibrillators are, as Ami is an ER Nurse. Hoping that they become as common as fire extinguishers.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
This ID bracelet has multiple capabilities for not a lot of money: medications, allergies, surgeries, prior hospitalizations, etc all stored privately online and accessible by EMT personnel.

Road ID® USA's #1 Source for Runners ID, Cycling ID & Medical ID Tags

Even as a retired physician I re-certify every two years for CPR / AED! I have conducted CPR's in hospital and non-hostipal settings many times over the years. Re-certification is necessary to maintain current competency.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Aside from knowing CPR and having first-aid supplies for dealing with trauma, I don't think there's much more to do, medically, from a life-safety standpoint. Even in remote areas the best strategy is to stabilize and evacuate.

I think the hazards inherent in transporting bottled oxygen, for example, augur against carrying it routinely absent a specific medical condition that might require it.

While I do carry first aid supplies and some medications for dealing with common situations, I do so more to avoid discomfort and inconvenience if someone, say, develops a bad rash from poison ivy at 11:00 on Saturday night.

I don't believe I have or could reasonably develop the medical expertise to act as a field doc. Even if I did many of the critical items are prescription only.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
While I do carry first aid supplies and some medications for dealing with common situations, I do so more to avoid discomfort and inconvenience if someone, say, develops a bad rash from poison ivy at 11:00 on Saturday night.
Hydrocortisone spray - best thing I've found for stopping an itch fast.
Calamine lotion - some people prefer this to the hydrocortisone spray.
Neosporin - infection is no fun.
Orajel - nothing hurts like a toothache!
Visine - but if you somehow rubbed your eyes after scratching that poison ivy rash, or if you got a cinder from the bonfire in/near your eye, a portable eywash cup with sterile saline solution might be better.
Benadril - If you have a known allergy that could send you into anaphylactic shock, an epi pen is better, but if you just want an over-the-counter antihistamine to reduce swelling from an insect bite, Benadril works about as well as you can get.
Aspirin - real old-fashioned aspirin still has its uses even if you prefer Tylenol or Advil for relieving pain.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Hi,
I am a professional Firefighter/EMT. Responding to these types of incidents is what I do. I am very sorry for your loss Maggie.

There are a lot of good ideas listed so far of items to have/training. I thought I'd say something of what I think is basics.
#1 Get CPR/First Aid Certified
#2 Carry necessary medications (Nitro, epinephrine shot, aspirin, insulin) for your condition
#3 Have a list of Medications, Allergies to Medications and Medical History somewhere close. Consider wearing a medical ID bracelet.
#4 KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. When you call 911, give them as much information about where you are. Any detail helps, and make sure it is accurate. Otherwise, it will prolong response times.
#5 In the case of CPR- do your compressions faster, and harder than you think you will need to.

Obviously there are lists of medication you may want to carry just in case (Benadryl..) I think carrying an AED would be nice, but it would be expensive...I have never seen someone with a personal AED that actually used it.

Just as important here is if you wish to be a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), have paperwork showing that. We run into a lot of patients 75-80+ who don't want CPR done on them, but unless the paperwork is handy, they are getting CPR and transported potentially.
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #28

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
Just as important here is if you wish to be a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), have paperwork showing that.
Is that something that could (should?) be shown on the medic ID bracelet?

I'm still young enough that I want to be saved if someone sees me about to croak, but my mom is in the DNR group, and since you posted that, I've started thinking of getting a medic alert bracelet for her with "Do Not Resuscitate" on it.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thank you all so much. Please keep your thoughts coming. I will compile what we have here by the end of this weekend and we'll see about next steps.

If you can, please remember to refer back to the list of specific questions in the first response to this thread and answer whichever ones you have experience with. If you have additional questions we should consider, please feel free to add them as well.

Your insights have been fantastic so far! Thank you!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Protag-
I wouldn't put DNR on the bracelet, we have to see the legal document regardless.
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
From the FAQ page or a group in Washington state that trains people in first aid, CPR, and AED…
That bit about the prescription is a good thing; that means that your insurance provider MAY pick up part of the tab. Your physician will probably talk to your insurance provider to see if they will cover part of the cost before giving you the prescription. But ask him to do so, just to be sure.
Also, consider that it would be very possible the use of the AED would not be for yourself!

Maybe it would be prudent for your unit, caravan, or rally leader to have one available.

I think some of our potlucks should require one to sit nearby.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
An AED does not do CPR for you. It will read whether there is a fibrillation of the heart muscle and give shocks if that is the case. If there is NO heartbeat, the AED will tell you to do CPR. CPR has changed over the past few years: you no longer do breathes, it's now all chest compressions, and has been simplified from years ago.
CPR is very physically demanding, but usually adrenaline will carry you through.
A list of medications you are on and dosages, is essential for hospital staff to have in any emergency situation, not just cardiac.

Above all, I think you need to have a conversation with your companion about your wishes in certain circumstances so that your companion knows what to do and what decisions to make. Having the power to make those decisions is also important for someone close to you to have. Power of Attorney (POA) forms are readily available and should be filled out, notarized, and kept in a safe place that the POA has access to.

I am a very strong advocate for EVERY person traveling together to know how to hitch up, tow, break down and set up camp. I'm still trying to convince my DIL of this!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The campground that I belong to was required (?) to install an AED on site. It s located in the main meeting hall next to the pool.
As for medical records, medications and advanced directives; there is a container that might be available from The Red Cross, hospital, ambulance service and etc. that would be located in ones refrigerator (yes). Along with that there is a logo that is placed on the refrig. telling the response team of its location. The refrigerator was designated as the location for home and RV use. Bracelets, necklaces and wallet cards with the location of the needed information are available; and also cell phones.
As for CPR, at 100 compressions per minute, one soon finds out how long a minute is.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Collected Advice and Resources Draft 1

Here’s what we've collected so far. Thanks for all your help getting this started. I think it will only improve over time. I imported this from Word so if the links don't work, let me know - we'll try something else.
Warning: It seems almost obligatory to note that no one who posted here - myself included - can vouch for the quality of this advice and links, or accept any responsibility for their use, the effectiveness of the resources they represent, the validity of the companies that they link to, their privacy policies, etc. etc. etc. Nor is anything below endorsed by anyone in the forums. Use anything like this at your own risk. This list was simply compiled in good faith by a caring community of non-medical-professionals and like everything in life, you should take this with a grain of salt and be sure you make your own decisions about and are comfortable with whatever you’re using. Having said that, here’s what we have so far:
Advice
This first block of advice comes from a Firefighter/First Responder/EMT on the forums (see warning above).
1. Get CPR/First Aid Certified
2. Carry necessary medications (Nitro, epinephrine shot, aspirin, insulin) for your condition
3. Have a list of Medications, Allergies to Medications and Medical History somewhere close. Consider wearing a medical ID bracelet.
4. KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. When you call 911, give them as much information about where you are. Any detail helps, and make sure it is accurate. Otherwise, it will prolong response times.
5. In the case of CPR- do your compressions faster, and harder than you think you will need to.
6. If you wish to be a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), have paperwork showing that. We run into a lot of patients 75-80+ who don't want CPR done on them, but unless the paperwork is handy, they are getting CPR and transported potentially.

Additional crowdsourced advice includes:

· If someone’s having a heart attack, if at all possible, have them chew and swallow a 325mg non-coated aspirin immediately – see this Harvard Medical School guide for details
· Know the weather (try The Weather Channel’s Road Trip Planner) and location of nearest hospital (try the American Hospital Association’s locator)
· Use an ICE (In Case of Emergency) identifier on your phone (see Apps below)
· Wear a Medic Alert Bracelet (MedicAlert.org) which may also include a USB device, and have cards in your wallet/purse. See also Road ID
· Have a Marine Trauma First Aid Kit on board (note: Google that term for tons of links – here’s a site I am not familiar with but lists tons of emergency and rescue gear)
· Consider traveling with an AED Defibrillator or encouraging your local WBCCI unit to have one for rallies (see NIH info here and search Google for purchase info – big grain of salt on this one – perhaps best to ask the camp site beforehand if they have one on hand – may not be reasonable to travel with one or use without training).
· If you travel with 1 or more partners frequently, be sure everyone knows how to hitch, tow, drive and unhitch – every procedure inside and out. Consider professional “Safe RV Driver” training at a local CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) center.
o The suggestion was made to consider that some partners may prefer to learn these skills AWAY from their partners. That doesn’t make either partner a bad person – if that’s your situation, lean in to that and be sure each partner trains separately or with other groups who can help. Don’t let fear, embarrassment or intimidation prevent you from learning what you have to know.
· Consider CPR training and refresher courses frequently - For those still working, many companies have an emergency response team (they go by lots of names); these teams may offer various kinds of training in CPR, first aid and search and rescue and provide first aid/CPR/fire clearance, etc while waiting for professional help to arrive.
· Consider practicing for emergency situations – a drill similar to a fire escape plan at home. If you drill it often enough when not under stress, your “muscle memory” is much more likely to kick in at the critical moment.
· If your medical insurance provider has an app, load it for sure; in an emergency, any care is better than no care, but if you can get care that's covered by your HMO or PPO, that emergency care will cost you a whole lot less.
· Carry copies of all of your prescriptions in your wallet. Or at least a list of them; including the name of the physician who prescribed it. And make sure you include any non-prescription vitamins or supplements you take as well
· The most important issues may be to know CPR and travel with a First Aid Kit - Even in remote areas the best strategy may be to stabilize and evacuate.
· Before traveling:
o Have a conversation with your companion about your wishes in certain circumstances so that your companion knows what to do and what decisions to make. Having the power to make those decisions is also important for someone close to you to have. Power of Attorney (POA) forms are readily available and should be filled out, notarized, and kept in a safe place that the POA has access to.
o Contact your Primary Care Physician if you've got a medical condition that could incapacitate you on the road. Discuss your trip with him/her before you head out so that (a) s/he can recommend any precautions specific to your condition; and (b) s/he knows that if s/he gets a call from a doctor on the far edge of nowhere, it's likely to be important.
o Contact someone who has been granted limited power of attorney to act on your behalf. Note "Limited" power of attorney; discuss the matter with a real attorney to see what kind of limits to place on the power of attorney.
· For travelers with pets: always bring documentation including the license, vaccination records, medications, pet first aid kit, veterinarian records, and information about the nearest emergency 24 hour pet clinics/hospitals.
o See the AirForums' thread, "Pet First Aid".
o Transport pets in a safe manner: "Traveling and Pet Safety".
o Be vigilant while camping. See the AirForums' threads, "Dog ate my meds", and "No pets left unattended".
· If it’s not you/your partner but other campers having an emergency, these things happened at a rally and can be instructive:
o 1. Some people went to help him.
o 2. Others went to the front gate of the campground we were in to let them know to open the gate and where to direct the ambulance. (It had been called by some people who helped him when he first collapsed.)
o 3. Others went to the campground office to let them know, since they were due to roll out the next day and obviously wouldn't be doing that. The campground was able to switch an upcoming reservation to a different site and block off that site in their computer.
o 4. We also checked the camper itself to make sure it was okay - i.e., the tanks weren't in need of being dumped or something like that.
o 5. We offered to move the camper closer to the hospital where our friend had been taken, since that hospital was two hours away. They elected to stay at the campground since it was an excellent place to relax and recover.

Apps/Tools/Resources
Call Sheet
List of Emergency Apps by Brave Frontier
Broader (not medical only) disaster prep reviews by Mashable
American Heart Association Pocket First Aid and CPR – please note there were several cautions made in this thread about when to use CPR and when not – and that once started, it shouldn’t stop until emergency personnel arrive.
ICE Standard with Smart 911
US Army Survival Guide (Android)
US Army Survival Guide (iPhone)
Apps for drug interactions (one example is found at Drugs.com)
Enabling Citizen Superheroes
Services
Good Sam Travel Assist
Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Have a conversation with your companion about your wishes in certain circumstances so that your companion knows what to do and what decisions to make. Having the power to make those decisions is also important for someone close to you to have. Power of Attorney (POA) forms are readily available and should be filled out, notarized, and kept in a safe place that the POA has access to.
Here are links to a couple of podcasts I've heard recently that may give you context or a starting point for what can be a difficult discussion.
RadioLab: The Bitter End
Planet Money - The Town Where Everyone Talks About Death

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Since I'm the one who first mentioned AED, I'll be the one to suggest taking it OFF the list. Except of course for the part about checking to see if the campground has one when you check in, which is still a good idea if you have a known heart condition. Won't know if you don't ask, right?

Upon further consideration, and the comments of others, it's just not practical to consider schlepping around your own AED.

You mentioned tons of links for marine trauma first aid kits. Here's the one I carry… WEST MARINE 5.0 Medical Kit | West Marine The kit is expensive, but refills of the things you use (or date-stamped stuff that expires) is cheaper than a whole new kit by going to the manufacturer's website at Refills & More - Adventure® Medical Kits - First Aid Kits and Survival Gear
Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Great resources and suggestions Davidson and Protag. Will bake in to version 2.

More thoughts?