Old 05-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Crossing the Canada border

What documents do I need to cross into Canada and reenter the US? I have 2 dogs. My wife is also a naturalized citizen.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
US Passports for each of you. I've never taken a dog across but a friend has and says you need a vets vaccination card showing your pet is up to date. I'd verify that information though

Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Take sunglasses off, turn headlights of, smile, hand them paperwork, works for us ( oh yea, and passports ). . . regards, Craig
Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Remember to keep your guns at home!! Check the Gov of Canada website to find everything you need to know. Sometimes there are restrictions on certain food products that cannot be brought into Canada, so it is best to check before you leave. Have fun and enjoy the great exchange rat on your money. Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
US Citizen here, also Naturalized; I travel with my wife and our Mini-Schnauzer.

We've entered Canada and returned, just with our Passports, many times. We keep vaccination papers for the dog available. We also have our truck and RV insurance paperwork.

So far all we've been asked is for our passports, as well as a few general questions. Basically where are you going, what are you bringing (alcohol wise) and how long are you going to be in Canada.

Generally, I answer the question, briefly, then smile, and wait quietly. I don't volunteer information, or try to have a conversation. I have found Canadian customs officers to be polite and professional.

I have had only one non-routine experience; once we were directed to a secondary inspection site near Buffalo one time. The officer just asked us a few additional questions, and then were were on our way.

Last time back into the US I was asked by Canadian authorities what the license tag on my AS was, which I thought was interesting.

Good call on sunglasses and hats off.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Pepper Spray

We have a dog and have kept pepper spray on his leash as we have encountered some very aggressive dogs especially pit bulls. Our pepper spray was confiscated by the Canadian authorities. They would have kept it for us but we entered Canada at the "Soo" and left at Niagra Falls. They were very nice about it but be forewarned.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
NO GUNS...just your Passports and vaccination papers for your doggie. They very rarely ask to see those but it's not worth the hassle to not have them!
Safe travels
Old 05-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
I live in Vermont but I have not been to Canada in years. I have an "Enhanced" Driver's License which includes a photo. Last I knew this was good enough to get across the border but if I got to the Border, I would rather be quoting an Immigration Officer rather than someone on Air Forum!!! :-)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
As Llando said, answer questions, don't volunteer info, have the necessary paperwork and wait patiently. Don't bring up politics or ANY other topic. Act like it is a police officer who has stopped you. Smile and be polite, they will do the same, they have always been pleasant whenever I have crossed into Canada. Check out the import limitations for alcohol, tobacco and firearms, have immunization papers for your dog, you should be fine.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Generally, I answer the question, briefly, then smile, and wait quietly. I don't volunteer information, or try to have a conversation. I have found Canadian customs officers to be polite and professional.
Last time I was there (and only the second time ever) was in 2001. There were 7 of us in 2 cars, our first (and only) fishing trip to Canada. We crossed at International Falls, got to the crossing about 7:30 AM. I entered the first booth, the other car took the second one. At that time you needed only your driver's license and we all handed him ours. I had a 2 year old Sienna, the other car was an old (15+ yrs) Pathfinder. I don't know if that made any difference.

I was asked:
Where are you coming from?
Where did you spend last night (city)?
What was the name of the hotel?
How many nights did you stay there?
How far is it back to your home?
How long did it take you to drive from your home?
What is the purpose of your visit to Canada?
Where are you going (the name of the resort)
How long will you be there?
Do you have any firearms?
Do you have any alcohol? (One of the guys brought a 1.75 of bourbon, I didn't know it was there.)

I think he asked a few other questions, I don't recall what they were. I was watching other border guards emptying out a boat of all of its contents. They had gone through just ahead of us. Everything was on the ground. They don't put it back for you.

Meanwhile, the other car traveling with us had been waiting for us to go through. I asked my friend what questions they asked him. He said "she asked how long I was going to be in Canada and waved me on". Then he and the other 2 laughed and laughed, not only then but several times over the course of the trip; yeah, real funny.

Our border guard was professional, I wouldn't say courteous. I'm sure they have a lot to deal with every day. I don't hold any ill feelings. Now that I've been through it I won't have such a 'deer in the headlights' look about me, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

We came back across the next week. The US guard didn't come out of his little building. He just asked if we had anything to declare, we said no, he waved us through, both cars. I don't think we even showed him our licenses.

Your mileage may vary, but definitely have a passport (I think it's required now). If traveling with children, they should have one and you should have family pictures from home. You can't have too much paperwork and have copies, just in case. We live in troubled times and restrictions are getting tighter every day.

Don't get angry or evasive, just answer the questions. You don't want to get thrown into the gorge of eternal peril.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
All of the above AND raise ALL your blinds and curtains. Canadian customs has never asked to see the inside of our AS.
The US customs have ALWAYS (3 times) requested me to "open her up".
And I have an NEXUS pass.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
Crosing the Canada Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
US Citizen here, also Naturalized; I travel with my wife and our Mini-Schnauzer.

We've entered Canada and returned, just with our Passports, many times. We keep vaccination papers for the dog available. We also have our truck and RV insurance paperwork.

So far all we've been asked is for our passports, as well as a few general questions. Basically where are you going, what are you bringing (alcohol wise) and how long are you going to be in Canada.

I have had only one non-routine experience; once we were directed to a secondary inspection site near Buffalo one time. The officer just asked us a few additional questions, and then were were on our way.

Last time back into the US I was asked by Canadian authorities what the license tag on my AS was, which I thought was interesting.

Good call on sunglasses and hats off.
The question about your licence plate relates to their camera angle and where your plate is mounted. They record plates of both tow vehicle and towed item. My airstream plate (dead centre above the bumper) gets captured on their camera, but my utility trailer (plate on side and its low) they always either ask, or walk down and record it for themselves.

We travel often across the border, another big one is to know what you have in your fridge/cupboards. Even if you have an item that you shouldn't but you declare it you won't be in trouble they will just take it. I'm referring to food items mainly here.

In regards to your dog, make sure you have your vaccine cards signed by the vet. Also be sure to have the dog food in its original packaging. Particularly going southbound you cannot have lamb in either the dog food or your own.

Make sure you have a designated home address, they don't appear to like full-timers who have no permanent address.

Safe travels and enjoy the trip in Canada your money will go along way here.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
The last time through (about a month ago) she asked about "personal protection". I said, you mean like guns? She said yes, I said nope, don't have any. She asked about pepper spray (not allowed), I asked about bear spray (allowed). Go figure.

She never asked about my dog or the dogfood. I just handed her the dogs papers along with my passport.

This last time it was easier getting back into the US than into Canada (20 questions).

Just when you think you have them figured out, they change.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Did border vrossing last summer. Passports for you, record of vaccination and vet's statement of health for dog. Actually they didn't ask for any of the dog stuff entering either country, but you need to be prepared. By the way, when reentering the US, I was asked to open up the trailer for inspection. He walked directly to the bathroom to check that no one was in there. I could have had 10 people in the bed of the truck, but they didn't check that. I think they prefer to be random and use profiling as needed.