Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2018, 02:36 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-...-into-the-u-s/

Your needing/having reasoning sounds like it would be for purposes of personal protection. From the link and quote, it doesn't sound like personal protection is an accepted exception to the ban on non US residents possessing firearms.
Going into Canada ,and returning to the US you need a passport.....and papers for your dog,,rabies and health....no guns...you don’t need them anyway..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:55 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Was a fair question in my opinion. Any answers?
Yeah. That’s not what the OP asked. They only asked what documents to bring. Brings up an important point for crossing the border: don’t blather on about your opinion on firearms, whether for or against. The questions mostly have one or two word answers. Use one or two words.

That goes for both “sides” of this question.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 AM   #103
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Thanks

Thanks JCL for the response. Very interesting as I was not aware the U.S. had similar requirements for permitting weapons brought in by non-citizens, not unlike that of Canada.

Even though "personal protection" might not be a valid reason for a non-citizen to possess or use a weapon, I believe, at least in my neck of the woods, a valid permit holder would not be prosecuted for using such a weapon in a justified case of self-defense as determined by a court of law and trial by jury. Of course, I am not a criminal attorney, so what do I know!?

Might this also be true in Canada?

Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:48 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Thanks JCL for the response. Very interesting as I was not aware the U.S. had similar requirements for permitting weapons brought in by non-citizens, not unlike that of Canada.

Even though "personal protection" might not be a valid reason for a non-citizen to possess or use a weapon, I believe, at least in my neck of the woods, a valid permit holder would not be prosecuted for using such a weapon in a justified case of self-defense as determined by a court of law and trial by jury. Of course, I am not a criminal attorney, so what do I know!?

Dave
Thread closing in 3...2...1...
Old 01-31-2018, 05:19 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Done!!!!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #106
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

Dave
Expect to be charged. Expect to be prosecuted. Expect that you may be able to convince the judge that you only used reasonable force. Expect it to be an expensive process. But you may get off.

Now can we get back to the thread topic? When crossing the Canadian border, you can’t bring a firearm for purposes of personal protection. So it seems a moot point.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #107
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
This has been said before, BUT...

for US citizens entering Canada, if you enter Canada on a legitimate hunting trip as a tourist, you can bring firearms appropriate for bagging a moose, or whatever. Bring your paperwork. But this excludes handguns. If you're a US citizen crossing Canada to get to Alaska, make an arrangement with a broker to have your handguns shipped to Alaska, ready for your pick-up once you're in Alaska (i. e., back in the US of A.)

If you read the boilerplate from Canadian customs, their rationale is ensuring the safety of Canadians. (Apparently from Yankees armed with handguns.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post

If you read the boilerplate from Canadian customs, their rationale is ensuring the safety of Canadians. (Apparently from Yankees armed with handguns.)
Oh geez. I want to see the verbiage.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Bring you passport leave all you weapons at home. Always declare everything especially if in doubt. They cannot charge you if you declare it, but they can confiscate it. Better to loose it than to be charged.

From the CBSA website:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

Visitors to Canada or residents of Canada cannot import prohibited weapons or devices.

For additional information regarding prohibited weapons and devices, please consult Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices, Customs Tariff, Criminal Code, Firearms Act, and Export and Import Permits Act.

What follows is a list of common names for weapons that are prohibited from entering Canada:
(note the list is not exhaustive)
automatic knives such as switchblades;
centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
gravity knives;
mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
nunchaku sticks;
shuriken (throwing stars);
manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
crossbows designed for one-handed use;
crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
push daggers;
devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
spiked wristbands;
blowguns;
Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
morning stars; and
brass knuckles.

What follows is a list of common names for devices that are prohibited from entering Canada:
(note the list is not exhaustive)
silencers or devices designed to muffle or stop the sound of a firearm;
certain cartridge magazines above a given capacity. Generally, cartridge magazines are limited to 5 rounds for centre-fire, semi-automatic rifles or shotguns and 10 rounds for semi-automatic handguns, with exemptions for certain magazines;
bullpup stocks;
replica firearms (see additional information on replica firearms below); and
devices prohibited by regulations.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabloom View Post
We travel often across the border, another big one is to know what you have in your fridge/cupboards. Even if you have an item that you shouldn't but you declare it you won't be in trouble they will just take it. I'm referring to food items mainly here.
I have never been asked coming into Canada about the contents of the fridge. It is more of a concern crossing back into the US as they have all sorts of restrictions that seem to vary from time to time and inspector to inspector. I have had them threaten me several times since I failed to declare something that wasn't mentioned, so now I just answer "I have no idea what is on board" and they can inspect it and remove what they don't like. That is the answer that was recommended to me by the boarder guard and it is the one I now use. That way I have nothing to hide and the onus is on them. I just try to make sure I purchase my groceries in the US rather than in Canada. That way I have less to loose. If something is left over in the fridge I will take my chances (just not with citrus and tomatoes - they are a no no).
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
What documents do I need to cross into Canada and reenter the US? I have 2 dogs. My wife is also a naturalized citizen.
Thought I would “bump” the original question, which was about which documents to bring.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Thought I would “bump” the original question, which was about which documents to bring.
The US gov't website has the lists. But the US border guards do not always abide by those lists.

According to the official website, US citizens can get back into the country at a land border with any of several documents, including Global Entry cards, NEXUS cards, etc. (and of course passports). We drove back from Alberta in September 2017 and presented Global Entry cards, and were told those were not valid. Fortunately, we had our passports also, (though it took a while to get through, because they were well-secured in a hidden compartment in our trailer).

So my rule now is always use my passport.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #113
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Passport OR Nexus card required to enter both countries, no exceptions.

Also have pet health certificate from vet with vaccine history, (rabies, etc) for pets. You may not be asked for it, but you'll be doing an about face if you don't have it, and the customs person asks for it.

I think the issue of guns has been covered, but you'd be surprised at how many American guns are confiscated at the border each year.
Of note! This includes ammo! If you are caught even with just a bullet in your possession can be grounds to turn you away.......right after they have ripped your vehicle apart looking for guns.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
I cross over to BC often, the last time being last week. The recent questions.... they ask about weapons, want to know if you have pepper spray, bear spray, they ask about alcohol, they have yet to care about my dog's papers or dog food. They have asked if I have reservations in Canada and if I'm meeting anyone there. They want to know when was the last time I was in Canada. If I'm alone they want to know if someone else owns the diesel truck I'm driving and where is he? (joint ownership).

Anyway, that's what they've been asking lately.

Coming home has been easier (a reverse from last year) but last time (this time driving my car) the guy asked for my car keys and asked me to pop the trunk of my car, never asking me to pull over. Maybe he was just looking for suitcases since I told him I spent the night. He asked me twice who's car it is (mine). Wanted to know if I had more than 10K with me and what did I buy? (pepperoni sticks and muffins).

It's not really all that stressful. Just have your documents and leave your 10K in the bank.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I have never been asked coming into Canada about the contents of the fridge. It is more of a concern crossing back into the US as they have all sorts of restrictions that seem to vary from time to time and inspector to inspector. I have had them threaten me several times since I failed to declare something that wasn't mentioned, so now I just answer "I have no idea what is on board" and they can inspect it and remove what they don't like. That is the answer that was recommended to me by the boarder guard and it is the one I now use. That way I have nothing to hide and the onus is on them. I just try to make sure I purchase my groceries in the US rather than in Canada. That way I have less to loose. If something is left over in the fridge I will take my chances (just not with citrus and tomatoes - they are a no no).
The only refrigerator search I have experienced was at the ferry dock going from N. Sydney, NS to Newfoundland. Potatoes are not permitted. Not sure about other food items that may be disallowed.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Ms View Post
I cross over to BC often, the last time being last week. The recent questions.... they ask about weapons, want to know if you have pepper spray, bear spray, they ask about alcohol, they have yet to care about my dog's papers or dog food.
Bear spray is allowed but it MUST be clearly labeled on the container as intended for bears. We have had no problem with bear spray on several trips across the border.

We are prepared for dog health record requests and also keep all dog food labels in the storage container for our dog food. I think the main concern with dog food is location of manufacture. Fresh dog food in your refrigerator could be a concern. Fresh products were a problem a few years ago with variations of mad cow disease.

It is easiest to plan to have minimal contents in your refrigerator at the time of crossing.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #117
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Your US passports. Other docs may be useable but this just simplifies life.

For dogs, rabies certificates. The border officials seldom ask for them but they can if they want to.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote