Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Crossing Texas in February

Need advice on which route...10 or 20? We are on Georgia heading to Dan Diego. Also any advice on stops and places places of interest. We like to hike and have a dog.
Thanks
Patty
harriganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Stay as far south as possible. Have made the run from San Diego to Huntsville Alabama many times. In February the weather can quickly turn against you with little warning on the more northern routes.

Build some extra time into your schedule in case the weather gets bad in Texas. The local joke is that the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is, "a barbed-wire fence, and it's down!" I've found that to be true--when the wind is howling and the rain/snow is horizontal, the last place you want to be in Texas is on the road. Better to wait out the storm for an extra day or two.

We sat out a strong storm in the hill country. With the trailer still hitched to the truck, the stabilizers tight down, and the wind howling, we sat for an extra day--the AS was still swaying, and our dogs tried everything they could to stay indoors. Walks for potty breaks went about 6 feet from the trailer, did their thing, and then they wanted back inside instantly. Don't blame them a bit!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Stay as far south as possible. Have made the run from San Diego to Huntsville Alabama many times. In February the weather can quickly turn against you with little warning on the more northern routes.

Build some extra time into your schedule in case the weather gets bad in Texas. The local joke is that the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is, "a barbed-wire fence, and it's down!" I've found that to be true--when the wind is howling and the rain/snow is horizontal, the last place you want to be in Texas is on the road. Better to wait out the storm for an extra day or two.

We sat out a strong storm in the hill country. With the trailer still hitched to the truck, the stabilizers tight down, and the wind howling, we sat for an extra day--the AS was still swaying, and our dogs tried everything they could to stay indoors. Walks for potty breaks went about 6 feet from the trailer, did their thing, and then they wanted back inside instantly. Don't blame them a bit!

Thanks! That’s my worry. So route 10 sounds like the way.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Patty, correct on I-10. It’s in great shape and good gas stops along the way. Check out the state parks going through Texas. There are quite a few along that route. You may want to check out a recent thread entitled “OR to Florida Hee Haw”. They give a play by play along I-10. Check out Fredericksburg. Just 20 minutes off the freeway with plenty of German beer and some nice RV parks. As you are leaving Texas near El Paso is Hueco Tanks SP. great hiking and ancient Indian rock art. Good luck and have fun.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Try to stop for lunch or dinner in Monahans, Texas. Pappys BBQ is one of the best little BBQ places in Texas--the entire town is between two exits on the highway. We found the place by pulling off for gas at the WRONG exit...and have been stopping there ever since. Really good food, friendly folks, home-style sides, and a nice atmosphere. There is a big empty dirt lot around the side of the place suitable for parking a large Airstream and tow vehicle while you are dining.

Address: 1901 S Stockton Ave, Monahans, TX 79756

Hours: Closes 9PM
Phone: (432) 943-9300
Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriganp View Post
Need advice on which route...10 or 20? We are on Georgia heading to Dan Diego. Also any advice on stops and places places of interest. We like to hike and have a dog.
Thanks
Patty

Forget 10 and 20. LA will kill you. We’re heading that way in April. Texans will tell you to use Hwy 84 from GA to TX
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I'd say take the I-10 west, then head south on the I-15. That keeps you out of LA proper. I agree, LA is NO place to be traveling with a narrow Airstream--your 20-footer is the same width as our 22-footer, and the traffic in LA can be daunting when NOT towing.

You could come into San Diego from the east on highway 8, but its tough even in a turbocharged car, and the grades are straight out of "The Long, Long Trailer" movie.

I-10 is reasonably flat and the I-15, outside of rush hour is decent heading the San Diego. We live just south of Anaheim in Corona, CA, not far from the I-15 and 91 freeway intersection. San Diego is where we lived for over 17 years, so we make that run fairly often. I-10 exit to I-15 and then to San Diego is about 110 miles. Rush hours are typically 06:00-09:00am then 3:00-7:00pm on weekdays in that area.

When our son came down from Washington State with our 22 footer, he was driving in the heights of that weekday afternoon rush hour--no dings, no problems, but he had trouble prying his hands loose from the steering wheel when he got to the house...
Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Interstate 10 in Louisiana is brutal. If you take Interstate 20 through Louisiana, it is passable but take the I220 bypass around Shreveport. I love Louisiana but they haven't spent a dime on their roads in a long time.

Once you hit Texas, the Interstates are excellent
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Interstate 10 in Louisiana is brutal. If you take Interstate 20 through Louisiana, it is passable but take the I220 bypass around Shreveport. I love Louisiana but they haven't spent a dime on their roads in a long time.

Once you hit Texas, the Interstates are excellent

Such great info! I am so happy to have these inputs. We are from Vermont and have never driven cross country. Airstreamers are wonderful!
Old 02-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Very true--we are usually a bit north and try to avoid the washboard roads in Louisiana...we go in and out of Huntsville, Alabama, typically, park the Airstream at our middle son's house, then take the TV down to Orlando, Florida for Disneyworld...we board the dogs in Huntsville to avoid the hassles.

Coming from Georgia, I'd shade a bit north, then head across west on I-10 or so to avoid the awful roads in Louisiana as much as possible.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Another stop if you take Interstate 10 is San Antonio. A famous little Mission there (I'm sure I'll remember the name, but it escapes me right now).

Also, the River Walk is nice, especially if the weather is as warm as today. Many restaurants there with outdoor patios where your dog can go with you while you eat and watch the tour boats go by. A fair amount of steps & stairs, however.

From there, you can detour a bit South and take SH90 all the way to El Paso. You could see the best rest area in Texas at Langtry and take a free tour of the famous Judge Roy Bean Saloon. If you take this route, I suggest you stay overnight in Seminole Canyon state park near Del Rio. They have some sites with electrical service.

If you have time for a rather big side trip, you could visit Big Ben National Park. However, I only recommend it if you can stay in the Chisos Basin campground, but they only allow really small trailers and motor homes under '24 ft. due to the road up. For you, they have lower campgrounds as well, but the sunset from Basin always my favorite.

So SH90 is an option if you want to stay off the Interstate. It re-joins IH-10 at Van Horn.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
I'd prefer I20, personally, but I live 15 minutes from it. I20 is a fairly boring drive, but easy. Even getting around Dallas isn't bad on I20 if you don't hit rush hour.

If you take I10 through Texas, make sure you don't hit Houston near rush hour. The drive through the hill country of Texas is lovely at any time of the year if you choose that route. There are some decent wineries near Fredericksburg, and some good barbecue joints in the area.

Either way, most of the Texas highways are pretty good. If you decide to take the I20 route, send me a pm.

Stephen
Old 02-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Check the weather and take I-20 to I-10 if the weather is good. Louisiana can be hard west of the Atchafalaya Basin and west of the TX LA state line. As of last November it was.

How far do you want to deviate from the I-20? The drive from Balmorhea to Ft. Davis is the prettiest in West Texas if not all of TX. Davis Mtn SP is a nice respite. Try to get site 5.

Monahans SP might be a good stop on I-20. Have not been there. Remember this is the south when we tend to camp. Texas Parks and Wildlife has a good reservation system.

I have seen ice conditions from Amarillo to Houston and everywhere in between at the same time. Going south does not always work.

And remember, this is Texas. Fuel early and fuel often. The next town might have closed.

It's only 859 miles across the State. Is that 1/3 of your trip?

John from El Paso, Austin, Amarillo, Houston and Dallas and Marshall Ford
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post

Monahans SP might be a good stop on I-20. Have not been there. Remember this is the south when we tend to camp. Texas Parks and Wildlife has a good reservation system.

John from El Paso, Austin, Amarillo, Houston and Dallas and Marshall Ford

Monahans Sandhills SP is really cool. Dunes of white sand in the middle of nowhere. Decent spots if I remember correctly.

Stephen
Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
I,m all for the I10 route to San Antonio but, if you are in for a little adventure take US 90 from there. Lake Amastad is fascinating. As others have said Langtry is on that route. You can rejoin I10 in west Texas. Be sure to check gas availability.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Corona , California
We can get about 400 miles total from a tank of gas. However, 1/2 tank or about 200 miles is time to a) Look for gas, b) walk the dogs, and c) take a break from driving. Method works well most places.

In Texas, there are regions when you stop and gas up well before you get to the more empty areas. You are right about, "The next town might have closed." Seen it happen. Places that were there on one trip have been seemingly abandoned on the return trip...
Old 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Welcome to the real boondocks. On US90, after you leave Del Rio, you're in them, next major town is Alpine. Population about 7,000. But it's a great trip.
Pat
Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
I forgot to mention, Del Rio to alpine is about 200 miles.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #19
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
As others have said, I 10 in western Louisiana and east Texas is rough, lots of construction and uneven concrete, we just did it on the way home from Florida. From about Baytown west is in pretty good shape. I 10 is still the best route for making time.
We live a few miles north of I 10 not far from Columbus Tx, give us a shout if you are in that area and need anything, or if passing through close to a meal time!! Have a wonderful journey.
David and Carole
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
If you take US-90 route, be sure to spend some time in Marfa, TX. Funky little town. And if you're not in a hurry, Big Bend SP and NP. Just make sure you fill up before getting off Us-90. It's 180 miles round trip just to the visitors center. And the NP is at least 60 miles wide. And visit Lajitas.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote