Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriganp View Post
Thinking 20 to Texas looks good for the next week weather wise. We want to see Vicksburg Battlefield and will stay in the Natchez area. If we decide to see Austin, what’s the best route? Head back to 20 from Shreveport? Is road thru Jasper a good one? That seems to cut out Houston. Looking at atlas just gets us so far.

Everyone has been so helpful.... thanks to all. Big Bend is a big draw as I’m a NP junkie....that is if it’s open when we are heading by!
The road through Jasper is good. Don't speed though.
It's a fairly nice drive.

Safe travels!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thinking 20 to Texas looks good for the next week weather wise.
. . .
Quite a bit of cold weather in the south predicted for the next week IMO. Also a big difference between the two routes -- I-10 vs. I-20. [These Interstates show up when you zoom in.]

In the following map:
-- Zoom in/out for the area you want to see
-- choose "Minimum Temperature" in the box at top left
-- use slider at top right to fast forward

https://digital.weather.gov/?zoom=5&...t=0&mxmz=false

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Where are you located right now, and what is your itinerary?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Quite a bit of cold weather in the south predicted for the next week IMO. Also a big difference between the two routes -- I-10 vs. I-20. [These Interstates show up when you zoom in.]

In the following map:
-- Zoom in/out for the area you want to see
-- choose "Minimum Temperature" in the box at top left
-- use slider at top right to fast forward

https://digital.weather.gov/?zoom=5&...t=0&mxmz=false

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Where are you located right now, and what is your itinerary?

Right now we just pulled into Vidalia LA across the river from Natchez. Staying here 2 nights and then long drive to Austin. Looks like 84 thru Alexandria then 28 thru Leesville and Jasper. Looks like a long drive. Trying to figure out Austin place as weather is looking crummy for beginning of week. Working our way across to San Diego. Need to be there mid March. Thanks for the weather site link!
harriganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Here is the website for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept that has full information on all of our state parks. There are some wonderful spots in almost all of them.

https://tpwd.texas.gov
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Thanks for the weather site link!
Thanks for the update. Here is the detailed Austin weather forecast for the next few days. Hard format to read, but accurate usually, and the forecast updates in real time based on the actual weather:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...y=12&BackDay=0

You can advance two days via the button at the top right. No frost apparently.

Happy Trails,

Peter
Old 02-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
This is our second winter down in the Hill Country of Texas (beats our Minnesota winters). Last year we stayed at Buckhorn RV Park in Kerrville, TX. Nice place and we would go into Fredericksburg for good food and shopping. Fiesta Wines were great - wine tasting in town and you could walk around town with the glass. But no drinking for the driver! Enchanted Rock just north of the town had great hikes. This year we are staying on Lake LBJ north of Austin in Marble Falls (sunset point RV Park). We like it.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Here is the website for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept that has full information on all of our state parks. There are some wonderful spots in almost all of them.

https://tpwd.texas.gov

Thanks for info!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
This is our second winter down in the Hill Country of Texas (beats our Minnesota winters). Last year we stayed at Buckhorn RV Park in Kerrville, TX. Nice place and we would go into Fredericksburg for good food and shopping. Fiesta Wines were great - wine tasting in town and you could walk around town with the glass. But no drinking for the driver! Enchanted Rock just north of the town had great hikes. This year we are staying on Lake LBJ north of Austin in Marble Falls (sunset point RV Park). We like it.
Sunset Park- can get windy; Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls is a must and try their pie. I also recommend you go to Inks Lake state camp ground if you can get in; all the campsites are on the lake, they rent canoe and boats also...great winery just outside the campground a mile or so...Perissos. Friends just took their 25' there last week and said there were maybe 5 other campers there...it's usually full, so great time of year to go..call the ranger station to get an update on getting in. (512) 793-2223 extension 5...rangers can give you update on if they are full...if not, just head over there...pretty drive also.

Weather in the Austin Hill Country area has been very cold last few days...32-38 with mix or rain, sleet, and some snow flurries...enjoy some TX BBQ and take it easy...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Sunset Park- can get windy; Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls is a must and try their pie. I also recommend you go to Inks Lake state camp ground if you can get in; all the campsites are on the lake, they rent canoe and boats also...great winery just outside the campground a mile or so...Perissos. Friends just took their 25' there last week and said there were maybe 5 other campers there...it's usually full, so great time of year to go..call the ranger station to get an update on getting in. (512) 793-2223 extension 5...rangers can give you update on if they are full...if not, just head over there...pretty drive also.

Weather in the Austin Hill Country area has been very cold last few days...32-38 with mix or rain, sleet, and some snow flurries...enjoy some TX BBQ and take it easy...

Sounds fantastic. Watching the weather and the wind. We have a flying cloud 20 ft with Ford 150. Winds gusting near 30 mph are scary. Luckily haven’t had much of that on our trip down. Ice and snow we are used to dealing with as we are from Vermont! We sit out those conditions but not sure what to do with the Texas winds. Any advice?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Unfortunately wind is our constant companion. Drive slow and easy, or stop if you're worried. It does die down in between shifts from the North to the South.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Sounds fantastic. Watching the weather and the wind. We have a flying cloud 20 ft with Ford 150. Winds gusting near 30 mph are scary. Luckily haven’t had much of that on our trip down. Ice and snow we are used to dealing with as we are from Vermont! We sit out those conditions but not sure what to do with the Texas winds. Any advice?
I was always amazed at how our 31' Sovereign handled the wind. Our TV at the time was an '05 Suburban 1500. The biggest threat are the 18 wheelers on the interstates. If it is particularly windy you might take secondary roads.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Before our 25’ FC towing with a F-250 we had a 19’ FC towed with a Ford Expedition. When we got into 30 MPH gusty winds we tightened the sway bars a lot and kept the speed to around 50 MPH. Felt very safe at that speed, sometimes dropped to 45 for a bit around curves.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Made that trip several years ago in March by luck when planning our trip we set 200 to no more than 300 miles a day and listed several CG's just before 200 thru 350 miles with no reservations.

The surprise came from the winds some days we barley made 80 miles before I just gave up and stayed at the next CG on the list.

We were in no real hurry so took the safety over hasty.

Enjoy your trip (we call them adventures) and be prepared to make unplanned stops due to high winds.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Wind gusts approaching 30 normally means sustained winds of 10-20, just a little breeze out here in West Texas. The other day the sustained winds were 20-30 with gusts over 50. I measured one gust at 61.
Not trying to scare you, just watch the forecast and act accordingly.
Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Gotta watch the gusts on I-10 in the California desert too. Our trip west last month saw gusts up to 55mph at Whitewater (just west of Palm Springs). We stuck with the big rigs in the right lane at 45mph and didn't have too much of an issue.

I also think the actual road surface condition of I-10 from Baton Rouge to Houston is still better than its condition once you get into Los Angeles 😊. Its the construction areas with K-rails placed on the white shoulder line that make for some tough driving from LA to TX.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Scary. Thanks for the heads up. Spent lots of time in SoCal as my son lives in San Diego. Just don’t think if these things when traveling by car!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . just echoing Post #28 about being prepared to winterize the trailer on the road if the weather forces you to do that.

Safe travels,

Peter
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . . just echoing Post #28 about being prepared to winterize the trailer on the road if the weather forces you to do that.

Safe travels,

Peter

We came prepared with compressor etc. hopefully we won’t need!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
There are many great state parks in Texas.
From east to west:
- Caddo Lake State Park on the border of LA and TX
- Palmetto State Park
- Seminole Canyon State Park
- in West Texas there are many including: Huaco Tanks, Palo Duro, Davis Mountains,
Monahan Dunes, Balmoorea (might be closed) as well as the amazing Big Bend area.
Towns I like in West Texas: Marathon, Alpine, Terlingua, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

This is a brief list based on my travels and a project I’ve done for Texas State Parks

Ian

So appreciate your suggestions! We are enjoying the Texas SP system and I’m more interested in natural environs than cities. Thank you greatly
Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
So appreciate your suggestions! We are enjoying the Texas SP system and I’m more interested in natural environs than cities. Thank you greatly
I live outside of Fort Davis, it's about as natural as it gets. If you want to chat, PM me.
Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote