Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
I,m all for the I10 route to San Antonio but, if you are in for a little adventure take US 90 from there. Lake Amastad is fascinating. As others have said Langtry is on that route. You can rejoin I10 in west Texas. Be sure to check gas availability.

Pat

pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We can get about 400 miles total from a tank of gas. However, 1/2 tank or about 200 miles is time to a) Look for gas, b) walk the dogs, and c) take a break from driving. Method works well most places.

In Texas, there are regions when you stop and gas up well before you get to the more empty areas. You are right about, "The next town might have closed." Seen it happen. Places that were there on one trip have been seemingly abandoned on the return trip...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Welcome to the real boondocks. On US90, after you leave Del Rio, you're in them, next major town is Alpine. Population about 7,000. But it's a great trip.
Pat
Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
I forgot to mention, Del Rio to alpine is about 200 miles.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #19
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Texas
As others have said, I 10 in western Louisiana and east Texas is rough, lots of construction and uneven concrete, we just did it on the way home from Florida. From about Baytown west is in pretty good shape. I 10 is still the best route for making time.
We live a few miles north of I 10 not far from Columbus Tx, give us a shout if you are in that area and need anything, or if passing through close to a meal time!! Have a wonderful journey.
David and Carole
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Marshall Ford , Texas
If you take US-90 route, be sure to spend some time in Marfa, TX. Funky little town. And if you're not in a hurry, Big Bend SP and NP. Just make sure you fill up before getting off Us-90. It's 180 miles round trip just to the visitors center. And the NP is at least 60 miles wide. And visit Lajitas.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
We’ll be making our way through Texas sometime in April. I’m following this thread as y’alls info is invaluable as we start planning this leg of our adventure. We would really like to avoid the interstate, if at all possible.

We love Texas, and as one good Texas friend used to say, “I’d drive 100 miles for a Coke”
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We’ll be making our way through Texas sometime in April.

At that time of year, pick a route that takes you through the Hill Country. The wildflowers will be in bloom and well worth seeing.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
There are many great state parks in Texas.
From east to west:
- Caddo Lake State Park on the border of LA and TX
- Palmetto State Park
- Seminole Canyon State Park
- in West Texas there are many including: Huaco Tanks, Palo Duro, Davis Mountains,
Monahan Dunes, Balmoorea (might be closed) as well as the amazing Big Bend area.
Towns I like in West Texas: Marathon, Alpine, Terlingua, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

This is a brief list based on my travels and a project I’ve done for Texas State Parks

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
At that time of year, pick a route that takes you through the Hill Country. The wildflowers will be in bloom and well worth seeing.

Thanks! I completely forgot about the wildflowers. That’s a serendipity as we travel through that area.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Traveling through Texas

We traveled from Annapolis to California in early December 2018 and returned from California to Amelia Island, FL then home last week.

On the way out, we had to stay north of storms in the South, so we took US 70 to Salina KS, then south to Tucson. Followed US 8 to San Diego. I didn't think 8 was bad with our RAM 2500 Cummins, but we passed quite a number of Rv's laboring up the grades.

Our return was US 10 from California to Jacksonville, FL. Texas was easy, but long. The Hill Country was the highlight. Kerrville and Fredericksburgh are worth spending time.

US 10 in Louisiana was rough. Lots of construction going on. US 10 in Florida was fine, although they are still removing storm damaged trees.
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Follow the good advice of others and take I 10 and stay at the many terrific state parks nearby. Hueco Tanks is beautiful, and convenient. I second the Monahan Sand Dunes, can't go wrong with State Parks in Texas. Also great State parks in New Mexico just off I 10 - City of Rocks is one, Rockhound is another. If you are not too big Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoon mountains of AZ is not far off the highway and very beautiful
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewStream View Post
We’ll be making our way through Texas sometime in April.

And be prepared to need your a/c, unless you are at altitude, because we'll already be in our second month of Summer by then.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Excellent advice from Rich about the weather.

Patty, you must be prepared to do a quick winterization on the road, and should be carrying a compressor and all the accessories to do so.

Back in the 90's with our 25' we were novices and did an incomplete job near Abilene when a blizzard swept in quickly from the mountains, forcing a time-consuming repair in San Diego. The local saying we heard was, "If you don't like the weather today, come back tomorrow because it is sure to be totally different."

Have fun!

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Stay as far south as possible. Have made the run from San Diego to Huntsville Alabama many times. In February the weather can quickly turn against you with little warning on the more northern routes.

Build some extra time into your schedule in case the weather gets bad in Texas. The local joke is that the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is, "a barbed-wire fence, and it's down!" I've found that to be true--when the wind is howling and the rain/snow is horizontal, the last place you want to be in Texas is on the road. Better to wait out the storm for an extra day or two.

We sat out a strong storm in the hill country. With the trailer still hitched to the truck, the stabilizers tight down, and the wind howling, we sat for an extra day--the AS was still swaying, and our dogs tried everything they could to stay indoors. Walks for potty breaks went about 6 feet from the trailer, did their thing, and then they wanted back inside instantly. Don't blame them a bit!

PS -- The two sites to see are Carlsbad Caverns and Mount Rushmore. These may not work out for a winter trip, but are great IMO!

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote