Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Question Crossing Canadian Border

We are planning a trip to Canada, any tips for crossing the border with our Airstream?
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:07 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yes, hope you aren't the trailer that they decide to search....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Birth certificates, pet vacination papers, no camp fire wood (if you are crossing from MI), no eggs, no guns.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Meat's a problem too. Buy what you need when you get there. The borders are closed both ways to most meat products including chicken from Texas (I wonder if it's a poke at W...).

Where are you going up there?
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Welcome to Canada

You should have no problems crossing the border..have all the info that John stated and you will be ok.. have crossed with our Airstream into the US last summer .. no problem going your way and it should be the same coming this way.. Whether US or Canada... only answer the questions asked...Don't volunteer any other info.. they are not interested.. and sometimes will try to trip you up on the questions so pay attention to questions asked.. We have crossed many many times as my Husband Happy in a US citizen.. we crossed 2 days after 9/11 and that was scary at both border checks. . ok now.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Regina

I will try to remember to remain silent. I know I have the right, just not the ability sometimes. When a guy parked his car half out on a Michigan street (blocking me) and I yelled at him to back up and try again, my wife was sure I was about to be "road raged"
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Just don't do what I did.

Once when I was returning from US (Idaho) back into Canada (British Columbia), I pulled up to the booth and nobody was inside. The gate was up and there wasn't a soul to be seen anywhere. I waited for several minutes and then did what any respectable red-neck Canadian would do. I put the petal to the metal.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the attendant came out of the washroom and ran to hit the gate button. I slammed my brakes on and stopped within inches of having the gate hit my windshield. After the attendant went up one side of me and then down the other, I returned to my country with my Canadian flag between my legs (metaphorically speaking)

And that was before 9-11. I think now they would just shoot and ask questions later.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Chicago to Canada to Rochester, NY in late May

I will be following this thread because we are going to my son, Joe's graduation next May.. 11 years of college and he has a Master's degree.. if he just makes it till May! he has a HORRID fall and winter lined up.. teaching deaf ed and history to 300 college freshmen and sophomores, in 3 classes.

We'll be leaving from near Chicago, 90 miles west, and Joe says that the prettiest route is a little jaunt BY Niagara and THROUGH a bit of the Canadian border. I haven't even mapped routes yet.

I am SO EXCITED that his school journey is ALMOST over,, he's had a LOT of bad breaks and I'VE had a dejected guy living in my house off and on for FAR too long!

Wish us luck!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I think getting the "search" treatment has more to do with numbers rather than how you look. I've crossed a few times on our Harley, black leather and all and never spent more than 20 seconds there. "where were you? anything to declare?" and p-tato-ptato away I went.

I'm told that THE worst thing you can do, is get caught lying to them. If you do (get caught), they'll rip your rig apart, I don't care if you're gramma and grampa jones. Don't volunteer anything. Just hope they don't ask! e.g. We always bring our own hooch to CA (worst bartenders...ANYWHERE). We're usually over the limit but we just hope they don't ask how much booze we have (they've never asked us). But if they do, be honest and pay the duty.

Also, never tell them you're going there (canada) to work. I have guitar-playing friends who combine vacation to canada with a few gigs to pay for beer and gas. Some have learned to just say you're there for pleasure. Actually, this works well no matter what country you're going to visit. Some of my Norwegian biz associates warned me before I went there (to norway) to just tell them you're there on "holiday". Though when I got there, there were 2 gates. One was for if you had something to declare, one was for if you didn't and was completely unattended. Guess which gate I chose?<G>.

Hope this helps

jb.
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
A friend of mine went with his trailer a few years ago to Canada....Banff, Calgary, etc.
They saw the Texas plates and pulled him to be searched.
They asked repeatedly where the guns were. They said several times, "All Texas people have guns, so where are they?"
After nearly 2 hours, and emptying every drawer and cubby hole in the trailer, and the pickup and covered bed, and not finding any guns, they let them go.
Maybe sometimes it is how you look....or what plates are on your truck.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
You are doing it wrong for the way back. Have to have a few pounds of Fat Back and a touque on the dash.

When they ask you tell them Got some fat back eh....reminds me of home ,ya want it eh?

Just think bob and Doug McKense and say "Eh" after every other sentance and they will thing your a canadian and let you go... eh.

From Detroit...I know the drill.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
...We'll be leaving from near Chicago, 90 miles west, and Joe says that the prettiest route is a little jaunt BY Niagara and THROUGH a bit of the Canadian border.
We visited the Canadian side of Niagara Falls in the Spring with the Airstream. The most memorable question I was posed by U.S. Customs was: "What do you do with the Airstream?"

I looked the custom's agent in the eye, never cracked a smile, and replied, "We camp in it," and that was all I said. He nodded and waved us through.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
We came through a pair of times on the way to/from the International Rally this year. No trouble, but I was surprised to be asked for ID going into Canada. Used to be they only asked on the way into the US.

If traveling with kids, be sure to have their birth certificates or a letter from their parents saying it's OK for you to take them into Canada.

Biggest problem we've ever had with the Airstream was the border guard at Buffalo who didn't know what an Airstream was. He had to take a look inside before he figure it out!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
A friend of mine went with his trailer a few years ago to Canada....Banff, Calgary, etc.
They saw the Texas plates and pulled him to be searched.
They asked repeatedly where the guns were. They said several times, "All Texas people have guns, so where are they?"
After nearly 2 hours, and emptying every drawer and cubby hole in the trailer, and the pickup and covered bed, and not finding any guns, they let them go.
Same thing happened to my wife and I. All we had was a rented compact with a Michigan license and our two bags. They asked where we were from. I said "Texas". Next question was "How many guns do you own?" I allowed as to the fact that I had some. "Where are they?" "At home". "Pull over in the shed and open the trunk".

They searched our bags and even checked under the seats and looked under the car with flashlights. After about 30 minutes, we were free to go.

Left me with a distaste for ever going back to Canada.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Travel Into Canada

I travel frequently into Canada and back (from Montana) year round and have never had a problem. I cross at both 24 hr crossings and daylight crossings (7pm closing). Have the proper paperwork handy (drivers license or other ID, certified birth certificate or passport, title regisgtration & ins. on the trailer) and answer questions presented truthfully. You will occasionally get a grumpy border guard who can make things difficult but that is the exception. Generally a very plesant experience. Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Actually, I think the border guards know whether or not you own a gun (if it is registered, that is) because they run your plates. Their computers can access the gun registration database through your number plates. Obviously, they are concerned about you packing the gun...but they use the information to see if you lie when you answer their questions.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Problem here is not enough people packin. Give us a everyone has to carry law and the crime rate would go down to a third in 6 months. Sure there would be some problems but hey that's life, there are already problems.

A friend in a MH had trouble with two cases of wine. They asked and he told, didn't know it was a problem. They were very eager to get his dirty US Dollars. Would have doubled the price of the wine. He left it at the crossing, told them to drink it. Was ready to leave turned and asked, what about the Scotch. Head Guard said we don't speak that you better go.
True story.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
We got searched when crossing at Niagra Falls into Canada. I left my trailer in the U.S. and we were going to sitesee for the day. I guess we were the lucky number or maybe a big van with a three person family triggered their curiosity.

The Canadian authorities also emptied every storage compartment or container out onto the floor of my van. When done we had to sit there and repack everything back into place. I can just imagine if this had been a travel trailer. That's much why I won't take the trailer north. I don't ever want to be put in that position again.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

I understand wanting to know any tips that may make crossing the border less of a hastle. But I also think we should keep in mind why we need guarded border crossings. If searching some bags or emptying some storage compartments of our trailers can have an effect on terrorists or drug smugglers crossing our borders, then the inconvenience of occasionally having to repack our belongings or make up for 30 minutes of lost time is really not much of a sacrifice! Knowing that the authorities are questioning and searching individuals that are "packing" registered OR unregistered guns should be allowing us all to sleep better at night! eh?

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
I understand that issue and I have no malice towards those who do these searches. Obviously we are all penalized because of the acts of a few. My personal observation is that I don't want to be subjected to this hassle with my trailer, after having it done to my van, and will not cross the border with it. Chances are for most it will never happen to them, but I figure there are enough places in this country to go to that I won't feel cheated if I don't drag the trailer north of the border.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15