Old 07-28-2004, 06:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Travel Into Canada

I travel frequently into Canada and back (from Montana) year round and have never had a problem. I cross at both 24 hr crossings and daylight crossings (7pm closing). Have the proper paperwork handy (drivers license or other ID, certified birth certificate or passport, title regisgtration & ins. on the trailer) and answer questions presented truthfully. You will occasionally get a grumpy border guard who can make things difficult but that is the exception. Generally a very plesant experience. Montanaandy

Old 07-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Actually, I think the border guards know whether or not you own a gun (if it is registered, that is) because they run your plates. Their computers can access the gun registration database through your number plates. Obviously, they are concerned about you packing the gun...but they use the information to see if you lie when you answer their questions.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Problem here is not enough people packin. Give us a everyone has to carry law and the crime rate would go down to a third in 6 months. Sure there would be some problems but hey that's life, there are already problems.

A friend in a MH had trouble with two cases of wine. They asked and he told, didn't know it was a problem. They were very eager to get his dirty US Dollars. Would have doubled the price of the wine. He left it at the crossing, told them to drink it. Was ready to leave turned and asked, what about the Scotch. Head Guard said we don't speak that you better go.
True story.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:39 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
After nearly 2 hours, and emptying every drawer and cubby hole in the trailer, and the pickup and covered bed, and not finding any guns, they let them go.
Maybe sometimes it is how you look....or what plates are on your truck.
We got searched when crossing at Niagra Falls into Canada. I left my trailer in the U.S. and we were going to sitesee for the day. I guess we were the lucky number or maybe a big van with a three person family triggered their curiosity.

The Canadian authorities also emptied every storage compartment or container out onto the floor of my van. When done we had to sit there and repack everything back into place. I can just imagine if this had been a travel trailer. That's much why I won't take the trailer north. I don't ever want to be put in that position again.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:00 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

I understand wanting to know any tips that may make crossing the border less of a hastle. But I also think we should keep in mind why we need guarded border crossings. If searching some bags or emptying some storage compartments of our trailers can have an effect on terrorists or drug smugglers crossing our borders, then the inconvenience of occasionally having to repack our belongings or make up for 30 minutes of lost time is really not much of a sacrifice! Knowing that the authorities are questioning and searching individuals that are "packing" registered OR unregistered guns should be allowing us all to sleep better at night! eh?

bbb
Old 07-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I understand that issue and I have no malice towards those who do these searches. Obviously we are all penalized because of the acts of a few. My personal observation is that I don't want to be subjected to this hassle with my trailer, after having it done to my van, and will not cross the border with it. Chances are for most it will never happen to them, but I figure there are enough places in this country to go to that I won't feel cheated if I don't drag the trailer north of the border.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Point taken Jack. I suppose I am a little touchy on the subject of firearms being undetected at border crossings. A sign of the times I guess. And I think it is a shame that this may have an impact on American citizens travelling to Canada and vica versa.

bbb