Old 06-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
And if things weren't confusing enough, Yosemite has it's own schedule booking 4 months ahead starting on the 15th of the month at 7AM!
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Brad

- Brad Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 06-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
The crew here on the forums won't steer you wrong as long as you don't start asking about tow vehicle, hitch or Gas/Diesel preferences! ;-)

You're not kidding! Found that out the hard way. So much controversy! Thank you for the intel and the web links. Anchor dates is a great way to put it.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
That said, US 89 north from Flagstaff through Navajo territory is a terrible, awful, no good, very bad road - unless they've completely re-paved it in the past couple of years. That stretch of highway very nearly shook our motor home to pieces.
In May 2014, I took AZ 64 out of the east entrance of Grand Canyon National Park, then US 89 south from Cameron to Flagstaff, much of AZ 64 was relatively freshly repaved, portions of US 89 were freshly repaved, and I passed contruction zones where they were repaving more of it.

Farther north on US 89 (past where we actually were), in the area you describe, there was a landslide/road collapse a year or two back. It shut down US 89 between Bitter Springs and Page. As a result, portions of US 89 were rerouted onto US 89T, a quickly-paved section of one of the Navajo roads (Indian Route 20, IIRC) until the US 89 reconstruction was completed. Then US 89T reverted to being a Navajo road, but instead of the dirt road that had been there a couple years ago, they get a paved (if slightly used) road. And amazingly, the government of Arizona, the Federal government, and the Navajo all came to agree on this pretty quickly, and US 89T was paved and open within a few months.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
If you can't get reservations at Yosemite try Touloumne Meadows campground just above Yosemite. Fewer people and traffic, good local store and restaurant, friendlier and less stressed people. Also nearly as pretty. You can get a bus to visit Yosemite avoiding traffic and parking hassles.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
If you can't get reservations at Yosemite try Touloumne Meadows campground just above Yosemite. Fewer people and traffic, good local store and restaurant, friendlier and less stressed people. Also nearly as pretty. You can get a bus to visit Yosemite avoiding traffic and parking hassles.

That's GREAT Intel. Thank you Lyle! I'm all about less stress.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Our clan is planning a real cross country trip for summer 2016 and we want to "poll the audience" for suggestions on things we need to see and do. We're going to be leaving from South Carolina and heading west first along the southern route; I-10 I suppose.

We may stop somewhere less interesting first but the first real destination is New Orleans. Does anyone know of a nice campground we could stay at around there? The intent would be to leave the trailer behind and go spend some time downtown. A day or two at most.

Unless there is anything critical to see or do between NO and Houston area, that would probably be the second stop. Any great suggestions for campgrounds on the West side?

The third stop would be San Antonio where I could see spending a couple days to see the city and any other suggested destinations. Never been there; no clue what's to do.

The next place after this is TBD, especially the routing but I'm sorry to say we HAVE to see Roswell, NM. (I know, I know.) Is 285 the best way to get there? Looks like it on a flat map but not sure what the road conditions or gradients are like.

After seeing aliens, my thinking is to head to northern AZ to spend some serious time exploring the Grand Canyon. I hear these places book up real fast which is why we're starting this planning now. State Parks are great but we'd like to do some serious hiking and maybe some rafting?

Lake Mead and the Hoover damn would be fun to see again... anywhere to stay that's actually ON the lake?

We've been to Vegas a lot over the years and will be going there again once between now and then but certainly open to something that would give us easy access to the strip for a night. Or perhaps a hotel that would accommodate trailer parking! We might need it.

It's at this point we start running out of any prior experience. Yosemite obviously needs to be hit, and Lake Tahoe is beautiful but we may forego that in favor of getting over to San Fran. Would be nice to stay on the north side of the city for a few days before heading north along the coast up to Bandon, OR area where we have some friends.

Then it's eastward ho(!) to Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and any other suggestions. The bearings from there would bring us anywhere along the route to St. Louis where we'd basically cross our finish line. We've seen everything east of there and would just pick some favorites along the way.

Any thoughts anyone is willing to share are greatly appreciated! I don't have a whole lot of excess torque on my tow vehicle so if you have thoughts on how to keep us off the steep mountain passes, that would be great!
There is a great state park in Destin, FL - Henderson Beach State Park; there is no need to leave your trailer and go into downtown NO. There is a great RV park in downtown NO - French Quarter RV Resort it is very well kept and it is very secure. Hope that this helps; safe travels.

Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote