Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Parkersburg , West Virginia
Don't skip small towns in the western half of Canada. Almost every one has a park that offers excellent overnight ( or longer) accommodations for RV-ers passing through. We spent a month making a trip from Iowa to Alaska. Not nearly enough time, plan to spend a whole season.

jsandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1996 25' Excella
Sacramento , California
Map out your trip and roads and your lay overs be for you live and be able to change any time.

grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
Morning all...we are thinking of taking some time to head out on the road this coming summer to travel across Canada from Halifax to Victoria and back through the US. Not having traveled this far before...with or without the AS...we thought that advise form this tremendous source of knowledge would be helpful. Things long should this take? Best routes? Places you must stop and see?...things like that.

Thanks in advance...
David and Andrea

Hello Gilmurr,
I can recall seeing only one other Airstream in Halifax when I lived on Fergusson's Cove Rd. and that was on my way up to Clayton Park to visit friends. That is not including the project Airstream in Shubie Park. But clearly you are not alone, given the access to this Forum.
I have done the Canadian portion of the trip many times and have found that the best plan is no plan, other than the potential final destination. Daily driving distances were dependent upon weather and the proximity to destinations usually gleaned from other other campers who had local knowledge. Some stops are obvious, (Quebec City) but the choice of the North shore of the St Lawrence or South shore is not. The North shore is more pokey. The North shore of Lake Superior is riddled with gorgeous spots, so it depends on one's mood on which one to choose. One for sure place that is often overlooked is Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park (day trip only). It is one of Canada's best kept secrets. West of the Lakehead, if you are into fishing, start asking about spots. Don't ignore the prairies, you just have to look closer but, as previously mentioned by others, many small towns have camping spots and that will give you an opportunity to maybe meet some folks who are living at the right speed. I prefer the Yellow Head across the prairies due to the beautiful rolling terrain. I leave it though at Jasper for the Icefields Parkway or continue on the Yellow head for a night at Lucerne Lake if you think you my have an issue with some of the grades. ( you won't). I also usually take the Fraser Canyon route since I am not in a hurry. There is some great exploring to be done here, again ask the locals. Check posts from Masseyfarm for not only local knowledge around Victoria but also expertise on the rest of the country and also on the return trip through the US. Safe trip. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Make use of the courtesy parking of your fellow Airstreamers, talking to the locals along your way is probably the best way to find out where the hidden gem areas are :-)

I believe you search under the community tab and can search by city for who has parking

P.S. and I'm in Victoria, BC
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Lucky you!

If you haven't been to the Canadian Rockies national parks, we would sure recommend Waterton Lakes, Banff, and Jasper. If you stay put at either Waterton Lakes or its cross-border neighbour, Glacier NP, there are so many beautiful sites/sights to explore. There are also free shuttles on Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier NP.

However, these parks' campgrounds do tend to fill up during the high season, so if you know where you'll be when, I would suggest you make some reservations now.

Do you like hot springs? If so, check out Miette, Banff, Radium, Fairmont, Nakusp, Halcyon, and our personal favourite: Ainsworth Hot Springs on the west shore of Kootenay Lake.

If it isn't too far off your route, one of our favourite places to camp is at the municipal campground in New Denver, BC.

If you drive one way on or near I-90 across northern Idaho, some nice lakeside resort communities are Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint. Also-- anyone with an AS can camp overnight on the lot of Airstream of Spokane (Washington state) for free.

Sigh.... so much gorgeous scenery, so little time!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Thanks all for your hints and sugustions.....keep them coming...I'm sure this will be helpful for others as well!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
David & Andrea
'98 Excella 1000 Classic 30ft
2007 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #21
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Highway 1 is only in the West

Originally Posted by jfowler218 View Post
In 2012 we drove Camadian Hwy 1 Vancouver to Halifax then spent 21/2 months touring the Maritime provinces. A really great trip. Four months and 16,000 miles.
FYI: The Ministry of Transportation for Ontario never designated a Highway 1. It starts in British Columbia and ends at the Manitoba/Ontario border.

So, no Highway 1 in Ontario or Quebec, but I don't know about the Maritime provinces.

There is a Coast to Coast highway call the Trans-Canada Highway, and in Ontario it mostly follows Highway 7, or at least it does around my part of the province.

This site might be of interest to you in your planning.

Canada: RVing the Trans-Canada Highway - TripAdvisor
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I think you are short by 10. It's Hwy 17 trans Canada southern route.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #23
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think we are both right:

Ontario Highway 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Between Brooklin and north of Sunderland, Highway 7 assumes a north-south routing and is concurrent with Highway 12. The section from Sunderland to the eastern terminus of the highway is designated as part of the Central Ontario Route of the Trans-Canada Highway."

And in Ontario, the Trans-Canada Highway uses the following highways: "Highway 17, Highway 69, Highway 400, Highway 12, Highway 7, Highway 71, Highway 11, Highway 66, and Highway 417."
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Highway 7 goes right through Kitchener here. It is a road that I could use, but never would choose, to take me to a road that would take me to a highway that actually goes across Canada. If it is designated as part of the trans Canada I'll accept that, but it certainly took some creative thinking from some politician to make it so.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote