Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Somewhere in Kentucky, can't remember exactly, but we will look it up in our AS travel log next time we are in Ezzie Airstream.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Somewhere in Kentucky, can't remember exactly, but we will look it up in our AS travel log next time we are in Ezzie Airstream.
Did he mention if his last name was Bates?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Aiken RV park. Went there a few years ago in April. The whole place is scary especialy the lady that takes your money. I didn't have any trouble though. Stayed 4 days.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
South of the Border -- Pedro siez "I weel be watching you"

South of the Border used to be a great place to stay when traveling on I-95. It has deteriorated considerably over the past few years.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We've had a experience in North Carolina (can't remember the name, but the CG was AAA and Woodalls rated), where the "golf course" was actually a tobacco field, all the campers (except us) were seasonal or full-time, the pool looked like a biology experiment, and the owner laughed really hard when we asked about the AAA discount. Then there was the one in Ruidoso, NM, where we were parked about 120 ft. from the owners house, and every time we stepped outside the Airstream someone would step out on the porch with a huge pair of binoculars and watch every move until we went in.

This one was just a few weeks ago:

Jim Thorpe Camping Resort

When we registered, I got kind of a bad vibe from the owner, who registered us. So, later on I found some online reviews. Although, there were a few good ones, this one was typical, and touches on the feeling I got.

Well at least we have funny story to tell...BUT THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE STAY AWAY - Review of Jim Thorpe Camping Resort, Jim Thorpe, PA - TripAdvisor

We were very well behaved for the next two days.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #35
one of those

2011 27 FB International
ya need to get about a dozen airstreamers to show up there intending to party hard til dawn and with the equipment to do it.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #36
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I was dismayed to read about a park which had been operating like something out of "Psycho" and "Stalag 17." The manager had drilled holes in the women's showers, was spotted standing under any open rig windows late at night, would evict anyone who questioned his "rules," and ran the "camp" under an atmosphere of oppression.

This newby was kinda disheartened by this. This is the kind of crap I wanted to get away from!

Please tell me this is the exception....and not the rule.
I've never encountered anything like that. Campgrounds are not perfect but the things that go wrong at the bad ones are typically more like this:

1) Loud neighbors whether due to music, conversation, generators, or arrival or departure during typical sleeping hours

2) Neighbors having parties that appear to have the potential to lead to fights

3) Delays on arrival due to misplaced reservations, site not ready, or no office staff present upon arrival

4) Problems with the tidyness or usability of shared facilities such as showers, laundry, pool, etc.

5) Facility being overwhelmed during peak holiday travel periods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
You've probably heard of it before but if not, check out
http://www.rvparkreviews.com
I too use rvparkreviews and make it a point to write up places where I stay but be careful because a few places get panned by people with a grudge (competition? who knows). Not all reports are reliable.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
... I too use rvparkreviews and make it a point to write up places where I stay but be careful because a few places get panned by people with a grudge (competition? who knows). Not all reports are reliable.
Truth! I use both RVparkreviews and Tripadvisor, and occasionally contribute when I stay at an exceptional CG. One of the reasons I like them is because you can read other reviews the reviewers have made, and get some insight on whether they have a grudge, or are just hard to please. I've been to many campgrounds that run the gamut from freak show to five star. Sometimes a little research pays off.
WDCU
Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #38
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Are the federal and state parks always better than the commercial trailer parks?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I wonder if there are more problems in states with strict gun laws than in states like Vermont. Our level of comfort goes down if there are very few other campers at night. I highly recommend camping in states that allow you to take your safety into account.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Are the federal and state parks always better than the commercial trailer parks?
Having worked for state parks for over 30 years, my answer may be a little biased, but I prefer state and federal parks over commercial campgrounds. In my experience, we focused more on providing a well maintained, safe campground than on the bling of some of the surrounding commercial campgrounds. As always, I guess it's a matter of preference.

Typically, most state/federal parks don't have as many amenities, many of which we don't ever use, as the commercial ones, and it's usually reflected in the cost. The most we expect from a campground is electric, water, and a dump station. If you're looking for a CG to be a destination, or one with lots of diversions to keep the kids busy, commercial is probably the way to go.

When traveling, when there's a choice, we sometimes go a little bit out of our way to stay at a state park. State/federal parks usually limit the amount of time a camper can stay (usually 14 days). This eliminates the seasonal renters, which comprised about 90% of the clientele at the last two commercial campgrounds we visited. Again, just our preference, to each their own. That being said, I've probably been in some really bad state parks. I just can't remember when .
WDCU
Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our experience is that state parks have larger sites and federal ones often are smaller, especially in national parks. National park campgrounds were often built when RV's were smaller, so the sites are smaller. Federal sites often do not have hookups, but usually have water at a faucet (not at the site) and a dump station. A lot of national forest campgrounds are being leased to a concessionaire and prices have gone up; some have electric now. Some older sites may be short and access roads narrow making it hard to back in. Federal sites rarely have pull throughs. State parks may have full hookups or nothing except a dump station and water. Showers may be there at state parks, less often at federal facilities. If you have a senior pass or annual pass, federal sites charge 50% of the price, but with electric, no discount.

Public campgrounds are more like destinations and people stay longer. You can make reservations at many of them, but it costs $9 this year. Because of budget problems, some state parks have been closed and have added increased fees and nuisance charges.

Private campgrounds may have any variation you can imagine for hookups, can be scary, have extremely small sites, be overpriced "resorts", or just a nice place to stop.

Gene
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My friend told me that national parks are welfare, the camping equivalent of food stamps. He also calls RVs, kennels and wheeled porta-pottys.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote