Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Watch out for shower building built for plumber's easy access to plumbing byway of a room dividing men's from womens, was being used by personnel by drilled holes for viewing back in the 70's so I'm sure not worth mentioning name of state park.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Boy, that kind of place gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm glad that we haven't had the pleasure of that kind of experience. (The feces-covered place we had to endure near the Grand Canyon wasn't exactly a pleasure, either, but at least we had the opportunity to call the heath department.)

Lynn
Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
I hear what you're saying...like the Bates Motel in Vale Oregon, or the Clown Motel in Tonopah Nv. Very scarier places!!!!
I think it was sometime back in the early '90's when we first pulled into Tonopah looking for a place to sleep. The Clown Motel was very enticing to me, but Barb didn't want to go there. Maybe she had seen: Killer Klowns from Outer Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So we looked in the travel books and selected the National 9. When we got in the room—sort of C- to D+ looking—we discovered the phones didn't work and hot water came out of the cold faucet. Super hot came out of the hot water faucet. So I went to the office and the woman there said something like the phones haven't worked for a while and they had someone fix the boiler and since then hot water comes out of the cold water faucet. She told me to run the hot water until it got cold. She looked tired of telling people that and somewhat challenged intellectually. After 2 hours the hot water got cold. Given the scarcity of water in much of Nevada and the cost of heating all that water, that motel must have cost a lot to run. We never had another chance to stay at the Clown Motel again and I feel my life is poorer for it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I think it was sometime back in the early '90's when we first pulled into Tonopah looking for a place to sleep. The Clown Motel was very enticing to me, but Barb didn't want to go there. Maybe she had seen: Killer Klowns from Outer Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So we looked in the travel books and selected the National 9. When we got in the room—sort of C- to D+ looking—we discovered the phones didn't work and hot water came out of the cold faucet. Super hot came out of the hot water faucet. So I went to the office and the woman there said something like the phones haven't worked for a while and they had someone fix the boiler and since then hot water comes out of the cold water faucet. She told me to run the hot water until it got cold. She looked tired of telling people that and somewhat challenged intellectually. After 2 hours the hot water got cold. Given the scarcity of water in much of Nevada and the cost of heating all that water, that motel must have cost a lot to run. We never had another chance to stay at the Clown Motel again and I feel my life is poorer for it.

Gene
It's funny you should mention the Clown Motel. We stayed there a few years ago more on a lark than anything else. I mean how could you resist? It wasn't the Ritz but it was a clean, good sized room that showed the expected wear and tear from age. There was evidence of clowns in the room but the real clown show place was the office.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #25
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
LOL on the motels, I agree they can be very bad. Who knows what lurks in the carpet fibers and the bedding?! Or the exposed electrical wiring, bizarre plumbing, or strange melted old TV sets.

At least in the Creepy Hollow RV Park you're in your own trailer.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Boy, that kind of place gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm glad that we haven't had the pleasure of that kind of experience. (The feces-covered place we had to endure near the Grand Canyon wasn't exactly a pleasure, either, but at least we had the opportunity to call the heath department.)

Lynn

I went to the GC a couple of years ago and was appalled at the amount of trash around the campsites. A short walk in the wooded area around our camp made me sick. It was worse than an LA freeway shoulder! If I ever go back it won't be for camping at the main campgrounds.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Serial Acres

We were on the road on Memorial Day weekend (a stupid move, I know) and of course, had trouble finding a place to stay. So we followed signs to a campground that seemed to be only a little way off the beaten path. Well, ok, so it turned out to be a LOT off the beaten path, down a hilly curvey highway with no shoulders, then down a county road. Then, finally, a gravel driveway into the weirdest place.

If Ray and my grandson didn't remember it, too, I'd think I dreamed it.

There was plenty of room! Seemed to be about 50 campsites laid out in two long rows in a mowed meadow setting. All had nice newer looking electric hookups. But there were only two trailers there, and both of them had obviously been there for months if not years, and there were no cars or tvs of any type around. This after we had checked dozens of CGs and been told they were all full. But not this one. No sign of a single camper.

Now, you aren't going to believe this, but practically right on the property, there was a cemetery...with only 10 or so graves. Right there next to the handmade sign that said "dump here."

We were about to turn around and take off for a Walmart or anything, but a fella' on a tractor comes flying up from out of the woods. Honest, he had not a good tooth in his whole head and appeared to be slightly, uh, challenged. He said we could stay there, he had plenty of room! We asked if the other trailers were occupied and he said, (I promise, I am NOT making this up), "well, yeah, but they aren't around. Parked 'em here and went off gambling or something, I guess. Ain't seen 'em in a while."
Then he grins at us, big. Showing all his, uh, teeth, or what was left of them.
I was driving, and he had pulled his tractor up to my side of the tv. I stuttered around and said our grandson would need a playground or something to keep him occupied.

Whew...we took off out of there - and ended up staying in a very overcrowded state park. I would never have stayed out there in that deserted, secluded, out of the way place. Ew, still gives me the shudders. Where ARE those people who parked the fifth wheel and the travel trailer there anyway?
I figure we'll see photos of that strange CG on the news someday.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
I figure we'll see photos of that strange CG on the news someday.
Definitely sounds scary! I heard the banjos from Deliverance (I think that's the reference...I've never seen the movie) in my head while I was reading your description. Where is this place?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Somewhere in Kentucky, can't remember exactly, but we will look it up in our AS travel log next time we are in Ezzie Airstream.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Somewhere in Kentucky, can't remember exactly, but we will look it up in our AS travel log next time we are in Ezzie Airstream.
Did he mention if his last name was Bates?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Aiken RV park. Went there a few years ago in April. The whole place is scary especialy the lady that takes your money. I didn't have any trouble though. Stayed 4 days.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
South of the Border -- Pedro siez "I weel be watching you"

South of the Border used to be a great place to stay when traveling on I-95. It has deteriorated considerably over the past few years.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We've had a experience in North Carolina (can't remember the name, but the CG was AAA and Woodalls rated), where the "golf course" was actually a tobacco field, all the campers (except us) were seasonal or full-time, the pool looked like a biology experiment, and the owner laughed really hard when we asked about the AAA discount. Then there was the one in Ruidoso, NM, where we were parked about 120 ft. from the owners house, and every time we stepped outside the Airstream someone would step out on the porch with a huge pair of binoculars and watch every move until we went in.

This one was just a few weeks ago:

Jim Thorpe Camping Resort

When we registered, I got kind of a bad vibe from the owner, who registered us. So, later on I found some online reviews. Although, there were a few good ones, this one was typical, and touches on the feeling I got.

Well at least we have funny story to tell...BUT THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE STAY AWAY - Review of Jim Thorpe Camping Resort, Jim Thorpe, PA - TripAdvisor

We were very well behaved for the next two days.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #35
one of those

2011 27 FB International
ya need to get about a dozen airstreamers to show up there intending to party hard til dawn and with the equipment to do it.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I was dismayed to read about a park which had been operating like something out of "Psycho" and "Stalag 17." The manager had drilled holes in the women's showers, was spotted standing under any open rig windows late at night, would evict anyone who questioned his "rules," and ran the "camp" under an atmosphere of oppression.

This newby was kinda disheartened by this. This is the kind of crap I wanted to get away from!

Please tell me this is the exception....and not the rule.
I've never encountered anything like that. Campgrounds are not perfect but the things that go wrong at the bad ones are typically more like this:

1) Loud neighbors whether due to music, conversation, generators, or arrival or departure during typical sleeping hours

2) Neighbors having parties that appear to have the potential to lead to fights

3) Delays on arrival due to misplaced reservations, site not ready, or no office staff present upon arrival

4) Problems with the tidyness or usability of shared facilities such as showers, laundry, pool, etc.

5) Facility being overwhelmed during peak holiday travel periods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
You've probably heard of it before but if not, check out
http://www.campgroundreviews.com
I too use rvparkreviews and make it a point to write up places where I stay but be careful because a few places get panned by people with a grudge (competition? who knows). Not all reports are reliable.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
... I too use rvparkreviews and make it a point to write up places where I stay but be careful because a few places get panned by people with a grudge (competition? who knows). Not all reports are reliable.
Truth! I use both RVparkreviews and Tripadvisor, and occasionally contribute when I stay at an exceptional CG. One of the reasons I like them is because you can read other reviews the reviewers have made, and get some insight on whether they have a grudge, or are just hard to please. I've been to many campgrounds that run the gamut from freak show to five star. Sometimes a little research pays off.
WDCU
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #38
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Are the federal and state parks always better than the commercial trailer parks?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I wonder if there are more problems in states with strict gun laws than in states like Vermont. Our level of comfort goes down if there are very few other campers at night. I highly recommend camping in states that allow you to take your safety into account.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Are the federal and state parks always better than the commercial trailer parks?
Having worked for state parks for over 30 years, my answer may be a little biased, but I prefer state and federal parks over commercial campgrounds. In my experience, we focused more on providing a well maintained, safe campground than on the bling of some of the surrounding commercial campgrounds. As always, I guess it's a matter of preference.

Typically, most state/federal parks don't have as many amenities, many of which we don't ever use, as the commercial ones, and it's usually reflected in the cost. The most we expect from a campground is electric, water, and a dump station. If you're looking for a CG to be a destination, or one with lots of diversions to keep the kids busy, commercial is probably the way to go.

When traveling, when there's a choice, we sometimes go a little bit out of our way to stay at a state park. State/federal parks usually limit the amount of time a camper can stay (usually 14 days). This eliminates the seasonal renters, which comprised about 90% of the clientele at the last two commercial campgrounds we visited. Again, just our preference, to each their own. That being said, I've probably been in some really bad state parks. I just can't remember when .
WDCU