Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Credit Cards

Ok this may sound kind of stupid but how many credit cards do you take with you on a trip? People that take an Alaska trip are gone up to three months. What happens when your card is compromised?
We have very bad luck with credit cards. Got a new one at a large sporting goods store because of immediate twenty five dollar credit on purchases. And we needed one. Used the card one other time at a national chain motel in Pigeon Forge and got compromised. Wife kept card in purse in a special card case, don't know what could have happened.
Another time we went to Pigeon Forge and another card card got compromised on its third time to be used, also at a motel.
We generally try to take cash on trips because of all the problems.
Credit card companies have been quick to drop the charges and issue new cards but what a pain.
How does everyone handle their finances on the road?
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Cash and one credit card used. If necessary I have another card tucked away. Never let the card out of your sight. Go to the cashier yourself and make sure the card is only run one time, not cloned or copied. Let your card company and bank know you are traveling, what areas and when you expect to be back home. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hate them, we've had two compromised.

We're on the road at least six months a year. We try to keep our credit card footprint as small as possible. Cash is available everywhere, we have one active card and another inactivated card as a backup. Never let the card out of sight, never use debit function, use only with large retailers. Use cash in all small restaurants and retailers.
Our daily charge/debit limit is severely limited, we contact the bank if we need higher. We check our account frequently.

Apparently they are rightfully becoming obsolete to more secure options soon. Goodbye to bad rubbish.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One credit card, one debit card. Both set up with automatic alerts.
- Text alert to my smartphone and e-mail alert to my computer.
- Any purchase (and ATM withdrawal for the debit card) made over $125.
- Any purchase made online for any amount.
- Any purchase made by phone for any amount.

On Edit— Almost forgot, multiple uses of the same card at the same place on the same day also trigger an alert. Didn't realize that until I forgot to buy something at the grocery store, and went back to buy it and used the same card again. I got an "unusual activity" alert.

And since I don't travel outside North America, any purchase made overseas is automatically declined, though that also causes the card to be blocked for legitimate purchases until I replace it with one bearing a new account number.

At first it was annoying to get alerts for purchases I actually made, but I got over that really quickly, and now I consider it as proof the system is working. It now gives me a warm fuzzy.

Plus the cards are now carried in a scan-proof woven steel wallet that meets FIPS-201 standards. Lifehacker.com says carrying your cards in a closed pocket-sized metal Altoids mint can will also protect them from being scanned as long as the can is closed, if you don't want to spring for the wallet.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I use a credit card for nearly everything. I probably average 60 transactions a month. I carry a debit card in case I needed it. I carry a wad of cash for when a cash only deal pops up in front of me.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use a Costco co-branded American Express Card for nearly all travel expenses. For the few merchants who don't accept American Express, we also carry a credit union-issued Visa card.

On June 20th, we will switch to the new Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi, when our American Express Card is canceled by Costco.

For petty cash, we belong to a credit union that is a member of the CO-OP ATM and Shared Branch Network. This allows us to withdraw cash from any CO-OP Network ATM and/or access financial services at any CO-OP member credit union the same as if we were at home.

Description from the CO-OP Network Website:
WHAT IS CO-OP ATM AND SHARED BRANCH?

CO-OP ATM
A nationwide network of nearly 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs, 9,000+ which are deposit taking. ATM terminals within the network can be found at many credit unions and select retail locations including 7-Eleven®, Walgreens, and Costco®.

CO-OP Shared Branch
Hundreds of credit unions that have joined together in a cooperative effort to bring a new level of convenience to members. You can access your accounts and conduct business nationwide at any of the participating credit union locations within the CO-OP Shared Branch network, just as if you were at your home branch.

If you belong to a credit union and do not currently use CO-OP Network services, click "Does My CU Participate?" on link below to see if your credit union is a member of the CO-OP Network:

CO-OP ATM & Shared Branch Network
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, first off we don't have and use debit cards and we never use ATMs. I carry four cards. One for large purchases, [seldom used] one for Costco, one for gas only, and one [with a small limit] for internet purchases. We also use cash at places that accept cash.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I carry a debit card and one Visa, using them almost exclusively.

The debit card has never been hacked, credit cards every so often but you get it replaced and go on.

I wouldn't want to carry nor rely on large wads of cash.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I travel a lot for a living. I carry 3 credit cards issued by different banks. I also carry some cash along with a debit card from my credit union. I have had 2 cards get compromised on the same trip. Wells Fargo will overnight you a new card if it happens, the other former bank would not. All good advice on protecting your card from the other posters, but even that is no guarantee.

I have had more than one card compromised where they had no clue how it happened. I had one shut down last night, it had not been used in 3 months when I got a fraud alert. No clue where the breach occurred. If your card has the chip use the chip reader rather than swiping it. Traveling overseas or out of the country the chip card is a necessity.

I have had cards compromised in multiple breaches at national chain stores; Staples, Kmart, Target and Home Depot to name a few. I travel too much to be able to subsist on just cash. Also hotels, rental car companies and airlines don't like cash transactions.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We each carry three credit cards, no debit cards as one is not protected financially in the event the card is hacked - at least that is what our bank as told us, so I cut it up and handed it back to them.

Our credit card, one in particular, has been hacked three times. In each case it was a scanner attached to a fuel pump, inside the pump, not visible from "our" side. I know where it happened one of the times.

We mostly use the American Express, customer service has been exceptional and despite being hacked we have never owed them a dime, one hack was for $6,000+.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We use a Costco co-branded American Express Card for nearly all travel expenses. For the few merchants who don't accept American Express, we also carry a credit union-issued Visa card.

On June 20th, we will switch to the new Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi, when our American Express Card is canceled by Costco.

For petty cash, we belong to a credit union that is a member of the CO-OP ATM and Shared Branch Network. This allows us to withdraw cash from any CO-OP Network ATM and/or access financial services at any CO-OP member credit union the same as if we were at home.

Description from the CO-OP Network Website:
WHAT IS CO-OP ATM AND SHARED BRANCH?

CO-OP ATM
A nationwide network of nearly 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs, 9,000+ which are deposit taking. ATM terminals within the network can be found at many credit unions and select retail locations including 7-Eleven®, Walgreens, and Costco®.

CO-OP Shared Branch
Hundreds of credit unions that have joined together in a cooperative effort to bring a new level of convenience to members. You can access your accounts and conduct business nationwide at any of the participating credit union locations within the CO-OP Shared Branch network, just as if you were at your home branch.

If you belong to a credit union and do not currently use CO-OP Network services, click "Does My CU Participate?" on link below to see if your credit union is a member of the CO-OP Network:

CO-OP ATM & Shared Branch Network
Brilliant, thank you. Turns out both my credit unions are members.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently returned from a month long trip to the Keys. Both my credit union and charge card company put blocks on my cards for "excessive use". Easy enough to fix but annoyoying as I had notified them prior to the trip that I was traveling. Seems any use in Florida flags the cards because of so much card related crime.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I just use Federal Reserve Notes. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I just use this.
Attached Images

NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Here are the steps that I follow:

Seldom if ever use an ATM machine. Why because you are an easy target for thieves as you only go there to take money out.

I do use our credit card almost everywhere to include online, however, like others have said, I have alerts on them. Also I check my statement online perordically to check charges.

I also have purchased the latest wallets that make it more difficult to scan your credit card.

And yes I have had a credit card compromised. It was a long time ago and almost caused a divorce until I explained to my wife it could not have possibly been me. It happen when they were still using the imprint machine and asked of all types ofs ID. Who ever took it and I am pretty sure it was a hotel employee in Georgia charged up dinner, flowers, a show and a trip to California. I was TDY when the bill came in and Claire open it and saw the charges. When I called her that night from Europe she asked me about the those charges like who the he-- I was dating in Atlanta. Of course I was ignorant of the charges. When I she told me the dates I said it could not possibly have been me as I was in Europe at the time. The credit card company did not charge me and i canceled the card.

My point is that we are very susceptible to credit card fraud and must be diligent in our use of cards.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently returned from a month long trip to the Keys. Both my credit union and charge card company put blocks on my cards for "excessive use". Easy enough to fix but annoyoying as I had notified them prior to the trip that I was traveling. Seems any use in Florida flags the cards because of so much card related crime.
Having cards shut down is a real pia, but my Capitol One has only done that when two charges occurred almost simultaneously from far distant countries known for hacking. They were on it immediately.

They have also a couple of times sent emails wanting me to confirm a charge/usage....confirm it is legit, and go on.

I have alerts set up for debit and credit cards to notify me of any usage over $1.00, also make a habit of consciously using them as I am traveling so they know I am on the move...lessens the likelihood of having them shut down due to a sudden charge far from home.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One card was compromised before I even got it from one of the largest national banks, an inside job on a new account opening with a large balance.

Had two scanned while walking through Newark Airport enroute to the UK. That was a real pia to find out both cards were turned off during the flight. Fortunately we had UK cash in our flat until AmEx got a replacement card to us in a couple of days. While traveling now, all but one of the cards are in a "safe" metal enclosure inside my travel carryon bag.

Here in the UK now, the waiter brings the card reading machine to the table and swipes the card in front of the person and hands it back after the receipt prints out. Not sure if the wireless transmission from the card reading machine is secure, but have had no issues so far in the last three or four years.

During my trip through Germany many years ago, the waiter took the card to the back room to swipe it and made himself a copy. I was called by one of the vendors he charged to about licensing their product in Europe versus my stateside address. A thorough checkup and all the additional telephone charges were also reversed.

Another time at the Indianapolis Audi dealership, the clerk wrote down the card details on a piece of paper and left it on their desktop. The cleaning crew showed up and tickets to all over the world started before I was ten miles away. The card was turned off.

So far, I have not been penalized for these fraudulent charges.

One must double check the charges often to be sure what is there is proper. Make sure the connection used is secure. A motel wireless connection may nay be relying on the https protocol for your connection, but everything viewed is sent in the clear.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
A motel wireless connection may nay be relying on the https protocol for your connection, but everything viewed is sent in the clear.
I may connect my phone to a motel or campground wi-fi, but never my laptop— and all online transactions are made from the laptop through my own Verizon Mi-Fi, never from the phone or tablet. The display on the Mi-Fi not only tells me the signal strength, but also how many devices are connected to it. If I see more devices connected than I'm using (only happened once so far, when I forgot that I had left my tablet turned on, so no harm done), then I shut down the Mi-Fi immediately to break all connections, and restart it before performing the transaction.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I may connect my phone to a motel or campground wi-fi, but never my laptop— and all online transactions are made from the laptop through my own Verizon Mi-Fi, never from the phone or tablet. The display on the Mi-Fi not only tells me the signal strength, but also how many devices are connected to it. If I see more devices connected than I'm using (only happened once so far, when I forgot that I had left my tablet turned on, so no harm done), then I shut down the Mi-Fi immediately to break all connections, and restart it before performing the transaction.
Our son, and IT guy, put his own VPN on both our laptops and we use our tablet as a hot spot. Works well and the VPN protects our banking etc transactions while traveling. Plus, every day 365 my wife checks every credit card we have and our bank accounts for any and ALL activity. The bad part about this is she knows everything I spend, where and when unless I use cash.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Great info here.

We primarily live off our (Costco) American Express and pay off each month. After 15 years of not having that card hacked it will be an adjustment as Costco goes into a new agreement with Visa.

We travel with AMEX, a Visa credit and debit card from Credit Union and some cash. Several cards (except Amex) have been hacked over the years. It's been a hassle but the card companies have always taken care of us. Visa has gotten very good with their tracking and spotting programs and has quickly called when I (didn't) purchase a TV in the Chicago Walmart recently.

Have had cards shut down during Christmas shopping when buying multiple restaurant gift cards.

I have called card companies when we are about to travel to advise them and have been told thanks for calling or it doesn't matter to call them.

The online, to your smart phone, notification of any transaction over a certain amount seems to be the best and quickest way for you to spot a fraudulent charge.

We use one card only for online purchases and keep a close watch on that card. DH prefers to order things in person on phone but always asks if they will be writing the card number down or punching it in. Keeping the card in view is difficult in restaurants.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote