Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Here are the steps that I follow:

Seldom if ever use an ATM machine. Why because you are an easy target for thieves as you only go there to take money out.

I do use our credit card almost everywhere to include online, however, like others have said, I have alerts on them. Also I check my statement online perordically to check charges.

I also have purchased the latest wallets that make it more difficult to scan your credit card.

And yes I have had a credit card compromised. It was a long time ago and almost caused a divorce until I explained to my wife it could not have possibly been me. It happen when they were still using the imprint machine and asked of all types ofs ID. Who ever took it and I am pretty sure it was a hotel employee in Georgia charged up dinner, flowers, a show and a trip to California. I was TDY when the bill came in and Claire open it and saw the charges. When I called her that night from Europe she asked me about the those charges like who the he-- I was dating in Atlanta. Of course I was ignorant of the charges. When I she told me the dates I said it could not possibly have been me as I was in Europe at the time. The credit card company did not charge me and i canceled the card.

My point is that we are very susceptible to credit card fraud and must be diligent in our use of cards.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently returned from a month long trip to the Keys. Both my credit union and charge card company put blocks on my cards for "excessive use". Easy enough to fix but annoyoying as I had notified them prior to the trip that I was traveling. Seems any use in Florida flags the cards because of so much card related crime.
Having cards shut down is a real pia, but my Capitol One has only done that when two charges occurred almost simultaneously from far distant countries known for hacking. They were on it immediately.

They have also a couple of times sent emails wanting me to confirm a charge/usage....confirm it is legit, and go on.

I have alerts set up for debit and credit cards to notify me of any usage over $1.00, also make a habit of consciously using them as I am traveling so they know I am on the move...lessens the likelihood of having them shut down due to a sudden charge far from home.

Maggie

Old 04-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One card was compromised before I even got it from one of the largest national banks, an inside job on a new account opening with a large balance.

Had two scanned while walking through Newark Airport enroute to the UK. That was a real pia to find out both cards were turned off during the flight. Fortunately we had UK cash in our flat until AmEx got a replacement card to us in a couple of days. While traveling now, all but one of the cards are in a "safe" metal enclosure inside my travel carryon bag.

Here in the UK now, the waiter brings the card reading machine to the table and swipes the card in front of the person and hands it back after the receipt prints out. Not sure if the wireless transmission from the card reading machine is secure, but have had no issues so far in the last three or four years.

During my trip through Germany many years ago, the waiter took the card to the back room to swipe it and made himself a copy. I was called by one of the vendors he charged to about licensing their product in Europe versus my stateside address. A thorough checkup and all the additional telephone charges were also reversed.

Another time at the Indianapolis Audi dealership, the clerk wrote down the card details on a piece of paper and left it on their desktop. The cleaning crew showed up and tickets to all over the world started before I was ten miles away. The card was turned off.

So far, I have not been penalized for these fraudulent charges.

One must double check the charges often to be sure what is there is proper. Make sure the connection used is secure. A motel wireless connection may nay be relying on the https protocol for your connection, but everything viewed is sent in the clear.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
A motel wireless connection may nay be relying on the https protocol for your connection, but everything viewed is sent in the clear.
I may connect my phone to a motel or campground wi-fi, but never my laptop— and all online transactions are made from the laptop through my own Verizon Mi-Fi, never from the phone or tablet. The display on the Mi-Fi not only tells me the signal strength, but also how many devices are connected to it. If I see more devices connected than I'm using (only happened once so far, when I forgot that I had left my tablet turned on, so no harm done), then I shut down the Mi-Fi immediately to break all connections, and restart it before performing the transaction.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I may connect my phone to a motel or campground wi-fi, but never my laptop— and all online transactions are made from the laptop through my own Verizon Mi-Fi, never from the phone or tablet. The display on the Mi-Fi not only tells me the signal strength, but also how many devices are connected to it. If I see more devices connected than I'm using (only happened once so far, when I forgot that I had left my tablet turned on, so no harm done), then I shut down the Mi-Fi immediately to break all connections, and restart it before performing the transaction.
Our son, and IT guy, put his own VPN on both our laptops and we use our tablet as a hot spot. Works well and the VPN protects our banking etc transactions while traveling. Plus, every day 365 my wife checks every credit card we have and our bank accounts for any and ALL activity. The bad part about this is she knows everything I spend, where and when unless I use cash.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Great info here.

We primarily live off our (Costco) American Express and pay off each month. After 15 years of not having that card hacked it will be an adjustment as Costco goes into a new agreement with Visa.

We travel with AMEX, a Visa credit and debit card from Credit Union and some cash. Several cards (except Amex) have been hacked over the years. It's been a hassle but the card companies have always taken care of us. Visa has gotten very good with their tracking and spotting programs and has quickly called when I (didn't) purchase a TV in the Chicago Walmart recently.

Have had cards shut down during Christmas shopping when buying multiple restaurant gift cards.

I have called card companies when we are about to travel to advise them and have been told thanks for calling or it doesn't matter to call them.

The online, to your smart phone, notification of any transaction over a certain amount seems to be the best and quickest way for you to spot a fraudulent charge.

We use one card only for online purchases and keep a close watch on that card. DH prefers to order things in person on phone but always asks if they will be writing the card number down or punching it in. Keeping the card in view is difficult in restaurants.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
what should you worry about with debit and credit cards? Mainly two things: fraudulent charges and identity theft.

There is almost no risk in being forced to pay a fraudulent charge made on your credit card. Period. There may be some hassle in getting the charges removed, but you are not responsible for ANY fraudulent charges on your credit card.

Debit cards on the other hand, can cause you to lose real money and the banks have much less requirement to resolve it for you. So the safest thing to do is use your debit card less and your credit card more.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/5-more-pl...use-debit-card

To protect against identity theft, one of the best things you can do is freeze your credit.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

For most of the other concerns brought up here, see my tinfoil hat solution.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Travel frequently (and not always in the A/S). Almost never use cash unless it's a requirement at a merchant - and then I'm skeptical of such merchants.

Carry a credit card that I charge 90% of everything to. Carry a couple of spares that I use if there are special promos (no reason to my cards if I'm not maximizing rewards) and serve as back-ups.

Carry debit card but never use it for purchase transactions - only as an ATM card to get cash, which happens rarely.

Also have a few cards loaded into ApplePay on the iPhone as a back-up.

Lastly, all my cards are set-up to give me an alert when a transaction takes place. It was initially a pain, but now I'm used to it. It's nice at a restaurant when my card leaves my sight but I can tell when the server runs it and for how much.