Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Crazy Christmas RV Drivers

Left the Airstream in Florida and drove the car up to Atlanta for the Christmas holiday. Traveling I-75 and cruising at 75mph in a Lincoln Hybrid....I was shocked at how many crazy RV drivers passed me with trailers and fifth wheels at speeds of 80mph+...!! Fortunately none were Airstream owners or motorhomes but pulling RV's that fast is not very wise. In a few cases there were 2 in a row passing all of us in far left lanes.

Such brave soles they are....haha!!

For all the Airstream folks who traveled on the highways over the holidays....thanks for making an example of the RIGHT way to travel without putting others at risk!

Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yep, I posted on another thread resently about very similar experiences here in NW Fla. crazy. RV Folks were driving along overtaking traffic at well over 80 mph, even motorhomes with cars in tow. Very eye opening. I've not seen much of this out west even where the driving conditions and traffic were easier for high speed driving.

I was thinking at the time that they were making the run south for the winter, still hard to understand the thinking of winding thru traffic at those speeds.

Is it fearless or clueless? Seemed the later to me.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I’d bet it fits under the category of “Felony Dumb”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Yep, I posted on another thread resently about very similar experiences here in NW Fla. crazy. RV Folks were driving along overtaking traffic at well over 80 mph, even motorhomes with cars in tow. Very eye opening. I've not seen much of this out west even where the driving conditions and traffic were easier for high speed driving.

I was thinking at the time that they were making the run south for the winter, still hard to understand the thinking of winding thru traffic at those speeds.

Cheers Richard

Clueless.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, only a few days ago we were on the 5 FWY headed towards Portland and we were passed by a Dodge Diesel pick up towing a large travel trailer. He was in the far left lane [three lanes] and doing right at 80 MPH. That's crazy.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My thought is a lot of the newer AS owners tow like that.just not very often and not for long! Inexperience, impatience and lack of common sense leads to Short term Rv ownership and or use!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Unfortunately, many of these daredevil RV drivers are too late for a Darwin Award because they've already contributed to the gene pool-- albeit at the shallow end!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cary , North Carolina
I just returned from traveling I-95 in GA, SC, and NC the past week (sans my airstream FC). The very aggressive driving seems to be on the rise across all vehicle types. I observe the same on my daily commute in Raleigh NC. Glad to be home and off the interstate for now.
(AS: 2011 25' FC FB)
(TV: 2021 F250 7.3L gas 4x4 3.55 gears)
wmcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Unfortunately, many of these daredevil RV drivers are too late for a Darwin Award because they've already contributed to the gene pool-- albeit at the shallow end!
Exactly what I was thinking.
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
High speed = low IQ.

I travel I-95 in VA to and from for work and I see it everyday, be it motorcycles, cars, RV's or big rigs.

When the wife and I travel we do about 62 mph and attempt to travel during the week and not Friday - Sunday.

Everyone is in a rush.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Wife and I cringe when we see an RV zoom by us doing 75-80+ mph. We cruise in the 60-65 mph range on an open highway. I just keep my eyes open and will make a point to stop and render assistance down the road, if needed.

Some of the mentioned crazy and/or aggressive driving is a manifestation of the pervasive me, me, me mentality and their inflated sense of self-importance. Gives me more incentive to go out of my way to be nice to folks.

Wouldn't it be nice if more people had concern for their fellow man? Let's set the example!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I-5 in So Oregon yesterday. Big diesel pusher, full size crew cab truck in tow. 75+ on the straight stretches, tailgating, then crawling up the passes. Just one example of all the dolts in a hurry to get somewhere fast.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just curious, what lane do you drive in if there there three or more lanes?
I thought the center lane was the best choice until last week when a couple of semi's passing me on the right blew their horns as they passed. So I moved to the right lane but had to move over often for vehicles merging onto the highway.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I drive 60 mph pulling a Casita (AS hopeful...) and we try to travel secondary roads. But there seem to be a great many impatient drivers these days; speeding, but also passing in the face of oncoming traffic. I grew up on secondary roads, did not drive on an Interstate until I was about 21 and in college. So I know how to drive, and did took my fair share of risk at that age. But current drivers don't seem to understand basic physics.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post

Cheers Richard
Clueless at least. With all due respect to the Southeast, and considering how I hate to traverse Houston to get to Destin annually, Southeast drivers scare the crap out of me.....but I still brave it to get to the panhandle.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Helotes , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I thought the center lane was the best choice until last week when a couple of semi's passing me on the right blew their horns as they passed. So I moved to the right lane but had to move over often for vehicles merging onto the highway.
It depends on your speed. In most states, if there are three or more lanes, 18Ws are forbidden to use the left lane. They must use the center lane to pass slow traffic (be it you or another 18W). If you see an 18W closing on you, get in the right lane. If he passes you using the right lane, he risks getting a ticket.
glrtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Huh?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Right hand lane unless you are passing or otherwise need to get in another lane.

However...... I will get in the middle lane if there is construction and concrete barriers crowding the right lane.

As for merging.... that seems to be a lost art these days. The ones merging need to understand that the ones already on the road are under no obligation to assist them in fitting in. “Yield” really does mean what it says. Regularly, I see drivers on an on ramp as we are going by. They will not even look to see who or what is in the lane they are merging into, or they might look when they are 3/4 of the way down the on ramp before they consider what they might need to do.

One time in particular sticks in my mind.....heavy traffic, but moving good..... a “person” in the merge lane, on their phone, beside our truck and 34’ trailer, running out of on ramp...... must have thought it was up to me make sure they got merged...... slammed on her brakes, then I watched in the mirror as they got on the road.

I don’t think they teach basic driving skills any longer.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
On the way to FL via I-20 between Columbia, SC and Augusta, GA we passed a terrible accident in the east bound lanes. It must have occurred shortly before we passed by as the emergency vehicles were just arriving. A SOB travel trailer had apparently flipped over several times with debris all over the road. It was literally in pieces. I didn't see the TV specifically but there were several vehicles off the road that were obviously damaged. Hopefully no one was killed or seriously injured!

I don't know what the cause was so saying it was excessive speed may be inaccurate but I agree that excessive speed in general is a real issue. We travel at about 63 MPH plus or minus a bit and there is no doubt that we were the slowest vehicle on the road, and not by just a few MPH.

Safe travels everyone!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Sometimes there are stretches where large trucks can't use the left lane of a 3 lane highway so they haul donkeys in the center lane and push anybody that is in their way.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote