Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #121
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Cross-checking speedometer vs GPS at regular intervals is how I stay within limit. My Prius is deliberately set to read 2 mph over actual speed. Since I use a separate GPS to navigate, I can verify speed to within one tenth of a mile per hour. Good enough to consistently avoid speeding tickets.

Of course, the usual mob is traveling 5-15 mph faster around here. So i just stay out of their way, and let them be a CHP magnet...they can have all the tickets they earn[emoji3]
My Airstream Interstate has three speed displays: (1) the analog dial; (2) the digital speed display in the dashboard message center; and (3) the speed display on the GPS screen. Which one is right? The one that shows the HIGHEST miles per hour. Even if it's NOT actually right, best to assume that it is, for the purpose of keeping within the speed limit.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't trust any of the experts; They are mostly just giving their opinions. Some of them are very close and many of them are way off.

Examples:

(1.) A motor vehicle which has had it's tires replaced with cheaper or skinnier tires might skid 40' longer at 60 MPH making the expert believe that the vehicles was actually going close to 80 MPH.

(2.) I did a "Power Brake Burn Out" in front of a friend's house one night. Someone called the cops. The cops saw a big pile of rubber in the street. One cop looked at the pile of rubber and said I must have been going very fast to leave that much rubber there. [actually, I only moved about three feet before the tire started spinning, doing the burn out, while I was completely stopped] [Note: this was over 50 years ago when I was a kid]

(3.) I was involved in an accident with a cop car. The cop car skidded six feet before hitting and totaling my truck. And then skidded another 96 feet. A Caprice Classic was tested to skid 135 feet at 65 MPH. In the police report they said the police car that hit me was only going 35 MPH. They either lied to protect themselves or were stupid.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #123
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I don't trust any of the experts; They are mostly just giving their opinions. Some of them are very close and many of them are way off.
Luckily none of us claimed to be experts, only trained.

The seven most dangerous words in the English language: "Trust me; I know what I'm doing."