Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Crater of Diamonds in Murfreesboro AR

Our next outing in the Spring of '08 will be to the Crater Of Diamonds in Murfreesboro, Arkansas. I was hoping to get some input from everyone on a good campground in the area. We have never been and are looking forward to a trip up there. We prefer full hookups and a pleasent campground with other attractions near by such as shopping and dining. Any and all replys will be greatly appreciated. We plan to come up in April.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
That's going to be fun. We went there a couple of years ago on our maiden voyage and we had a blast.

We actually stayed at the Crater of Diamond State Park right where you dig for diamond. It's only walks away from the main attraction. It's a woodsy park with water and electric and lots of space between you and your neighbor. Has a nice trail to the river, and we just love the park. It's only $17 per day per camper. Great deal.
It is still very convenient to the rest of the town. It's about half an hour drive to Hot Springs, where Clinton graduated from High School there. Great spot for shopping and of course, visit the infamous bath houses.
In the area, there are also many quartz mines you can visit and dig your own as well. You can also visit various caves systems in the area. Lots to do.

Here's the website and info to the park. Can't wait to hear more after your trip.

Arkansas camping parks: Crater of Diamonds, Murfreesboro, Arkansas

I include a few photos we took of our campsite there and the diamond field and the trail from the campground to the field.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I am having trouble uploading pictures. As soon as I figure out what happen, I'll upload them. Sorry.

=^^=
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Clancy,

If you time it right you could make the Branson Spring Rally that won't be far from there. Fisrt weekend in April.

Steve
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
One thing about the Crater is that it is best to go right after a rain (also after they till the field - this brings more stuff to the surface). The rain will wash the dirt off any diamonds on the surface, and you can spot them with your naked eye a lot easier than trying to scratch in the dirt or pan them. (They have a slightly greasy look when washed off.)

I hope to go back there soon - they have found some very nice ones this year! A fellow I was on the water board with here found one that was several carats earlier this spring.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I'm doing an illegal bump to let everyone get a pass at this thread one more time. Thank You for the above hints - that's a start - we are looking for full hookups if possible. Something about digging all day and then having a LONG LONG HOT shower drives the desire for full hookups. I don't want to mess with the tote....

Thank you again, Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Mike, we stopped there this summer and had a nice time. I took Freddie for a walk while Donna and Justin tried to find diamonds; they came out a muddy mess. In fact the desktop on this laptop is a picture of Donna, Justin, Freddie, and the trailer and truck in the parking lot. We were on a tight schedule so only stayed a few hours and moved on. The sites looked nice and very woodsy, I would have liked to spend a couple of days there as I sure it would have been very relaxing. I don’t think the sites were full hook up you would have to check with the park. If you want to decompress it sure looked like the place to do it. I do remember a bath house at the sites.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Crater of Diamonds info

Hi Michael and Tina!

We just got back from the Crater of Diamonds park--Mom and Dad were visiting and had never stayed in a motor home before, so we piled in and I drove them up there.

We stayed at the Crater of Diamonds State Park attached to the diamond site and it was LOVELY!! Rates were very reasonable (about $17 including water & electric) and we even got a discount since my parents were over 60 ($14.08 total per night). Here's a pic of the loop we were on--the campground is not huge, but you can barely see the other campers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockin A & other campers 5-11-08.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	60403

The campsites are nice and wooded--we were right next to the bathhouse in Site 50 and could barely tell since there were trees between us and it (in the pic, we are just behind the trees on the right of the bath house):

Name:	Bath house  Rockin A 5-11-08.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	60404

Each site has a picnic table, fire pit and grill (ours were in a nice space behind the moho) and a trash can they empty daily. The dump station was two-sided and reasonable, although there is a definite slant to the right if you pull in on the right side as you are leaving!

Here's the Rockin' A in Spot 50 (for 28' and larger campers):

Name:	Rockin A at campsite 5-10-08.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	60402

There is a well-traveled wide gravel trail to the diamond field from the campground, but it has some definite altitude changes! You will want to drive over to their parking lot if you can't walk far or if walking up and down hills bothers you. I am guessing it was about a quarter mile (they said 500 feet when I originally called). Here's the trailhead to the campground from the Visitor Center:

Name:	Trail to camp from visitor center 5-11-08.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	60405

And the Visitor Center itself:

Name:	Visitor Center 5-11-08.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	60406

The weather was nice but overcast Saturday when we searched for diamonds, it had not really rained for several days, and they had plowed the field about four days before. We found nothing, but there were seven diamonds found that day, including a 90-pointer. Here's a pic of me that shows part of the field behind me:

Name:	Suz sits with shovel 5-10-08.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	60407

You can search by looking, by dry sifting or by sieving (wet panning). I tried eye searching and sieving and was unsuccessful, but enjoyed it a lot! You can have some good conversations with folks in the sieving areas. There are water fountains at the sieving stations and a water wash as you leave the facility (for cleaning tools and shoes). They sound a horn if a diamond is found. Efforts redouble on the field after they hear the horn! :P

Sunday before we left we walked the River Trail. It is an about 1.1 mile trail (.6 mile is wide and paved for wheelchair access and .5 mile is unpaved but still very navigable). It was a beautiful walk (especially on the unpaved part) and had a nice view of the river along part of it. Here's the trail and then a pic of the river from the trail:

Name:	River trail 5-11-08.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	60408 Click image for larger version

Name:	River from trail 5-11-08.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	60409

Cell phones worked fine in the campground and on the field (a couple of the pics are from my cell phone) but Dad's cell was roaming and did not get a Sprint signal while we were there. Just FYI!

We had a great time and Mom and Dad were very enamored of the Rockin' A! I'm working on planning another moho trip the next time they visit!

Susan

Ooops--edit to say that there must have been a dirt track or paved oval near the campground, because I could hear it as I walked around the grounds Saturday evening. Another fun thing to go do in the area!

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote