Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Cracker Barrels

We're taking off for a road trip tomorrow night and we're not going to make it to our destination tomorrow night, so we're scouting places to potentiall boondock.

I know most Wal Marts and Sam's Clubs allow overnight parking. Does Cracker Barrell allow overnight parking as well?

Also, what is your take on staying over at rest areas and truck stops? I've heard it's not a good idea due to safety?

Thanks!
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Free overnites

We were on vacation last week.. stayed at Cracker Barrel in Cambridge,Ohio,all they said when I ask permission was... it's at your own risk ,they said they have to say that all the time. Right before that we were at Wal-Mart x the street,there were kids aiming shopping carts downhill in the parking lot to hit the campers there already parked.they hit one motorhome,and were aiming for ours (missed it ) .Itold the wife if they are like this in daylite who knows what they will do after dark. so we moved to Cracker Barrel then. next nite we stayed in American Legion lot that had honor system .10 spaces there $15.00 a nite. electric .....with water and sewer when you leave. nice Park. (Dresdin,Ohio.)the next night we had courtesy parking. then onto the Homecoming at Jackson Center. we then left sat nite after supper .drove 102 miles to Flying J in Columbus ,Ohio. Filled up with diesel next morning. Our thoughts on free parking are ...if either one of us say we are afriad to stay... we move on ... we have done this several times . Airstreamhobo
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Airstreamhobo -

Wow, you guys pretty much find parking wherever you go! We're new at this 'camper' thing (just picked it up 2 weeks ago) and I'm afraid we're going to travel too late in the night to find a campground open that we can pull into, therefore, I was looking for someplace to park and catch a few hours of sleep.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm guessing from your post that you can sleep at CB's or any other truck stop along the interstate? How did you find out about the American Legion park?

Also, what is 'courtesy parking' and how do you find out about it?

Thanks-
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
Also, what is 'courtesy parking' and how do you find out about it?
Courtesy parking is free overnight parking, usually in someone's driveway. You can check the WBCCI directory for listings, or ask people here on the forum. You'll notice some of us have our courtesy parking (CP) information right in our signatures. We're trying to encourage more people to do that so that courtesy parking is easier to use.

Courtesy parking is a GREAT system! It is a great way to make new friends in the Airstream community, whether you offer it or use it yourself. See the Project Vintage Thunder blog from this past week for information about how we recently courtesy parked in New York, Ohio, and Michigan -- each time in the driveways of members of this forum. (Go to http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintage...underblog.html)

CP is also much safer and more pleasant than the Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, etc. approach. We've done both and there's no comparison. Wal-Mart is now our emergency backup when there's nothing else available.

If more people on the forums start to offer it, we may be able to convince the owner of this forum to set up a CP database that would be searchable. You don't need anything fancy to offer CP, just a level spot to park. Water, electric, etc., are all optional extras.

To let other forum members know you offer CP, just put a note in your signature like this:

CP in Podunk, OH. W, 20A E, up to 28 ft. PM for info

W= Water
E= Electric (20 or 30 amp)
WIFI=wireless internet access
Dump=dump station on site or very close
PM = send Private Message through this forum (or put in a phone #)

If more people participate, we can all benefit from this free, safe, and convenient service!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We tend to be "travellers" and might have an overnight boondock enroute to our desintation. Recently on a trip we pulled off and into a Cracker Barrell for an overnight (from midnight to six am.). However after pulling in and hearing what sounded like a ROCKIN' party across the street, then seeing three police cruisers pull up to the house, we started up and moved on.

We've stayed in WalMarts, Cracker Barrels, Truck Stops, Rest Areas, etc. I think at this point we actually prefer staying in one of the major fuel stops (FlyingJ, TA, etc.) since it's always well lit, active and manned 24/7. FlyingJ in particulat tends to cater to RVers (pull through RV pumps, propane, water, air and free dump stations, RVer Fuel Cards). We usually can time our stop so we can fill up while we're there and we almost always end up buying something in the morning from the store.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
question about courtesy parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Courtesy parking is free overnight parking, usually in someone's driveway. You can check the WBCCI directory for listings, or ask people here on the forum. You'll notice some of us have our courtesy parking (CP) information right in our signatures. We're trying to encourage more people to do that so that courtesy parking is easier to use.
I was under the impression that courtesy parking listed in the WBCCI membership directory was by members for members. I guess I thought that because they advertise it as a benefit of membership. Is that true?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Yes, it's for WBCCI members

When listed in the WBCCI membership directory. We extend our offer to CP in our driveway/barnyard to Airstream forum members also.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
The forum courtesy parking is a nice idea. But how pratical is it to have in everyones signature?

If you were planning a route somewhere you really need a list by state and city to see what is available. I can't imagine trying to sift through post after post looking for the information.

Perhaps a courtesy parking page link from the main portal?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'll go you one further....how about a downloadable list that you can import into your GPS?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I vote for online

I vote for the online version, that is sortable by state. One thing that one must put on thier CP listing, is Point of Contact information, i.e, email, or phone number. My only requirement for CPing is it has to be an Airstream product.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'll volunteer to develop this for the forum if they wish. (I do this sort of stuff for a living)....can even host it if that's an issue for Andy.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Cool. This would be another great feature for this site.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #13

1976 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Ohio
WBCCI
I have a question..for anyone. What is WBCCI? And how do you join? Sorry, I am very new to this.

Donna & Bill
Cleve Oh
1977 Argosy MH
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I agree, that would be very worthwhile. I would love to have someone touring Rt66, stop by. I don't have lots or room, but I could certainly help a couple of people out. And the best part is we can see Rt66 from our home and you could walk to the Sonic Drive In! As you might guess, this is a very small town. Very historic, but small. We do have a Wal-Mart, and one grocery store. Oh boy!
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
WBCCI
I have a question..for anyone. What is WBCCI? And how do you join? Sorry, I am very new to this.

Donna & Bill
Cleve Oh
1977 Argosy MH
GO here, there are local chapter http://www.wbcci.org/
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Tryon , North Carolina
We have stayed at a Cracker Barrell for one night about a dozen times. We have never had a problem either with getting a spot (most of the times there are at most 2 or 3 campers there) or any one bothering us. We always have either dinner or breakfast there as a matter of courtesy.
We use Next Exit 2012 (waiting for the 2014 edition). If the Cracker Barrell is in RED letters it is open for RVs.
https://www.streamingtogether.blogspot.com
kiddoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
WBCCI

Donna & Bill
Cleve Oh
1977 Argosy MH
Wally Byam Caravan Club International. Each state has clubs which are in regions and part of the larger international group. We are in the GSL Airstream Club of WBCCI. It is a great organization where you can meet with folks locally for rallies and fun activities and learn a lot about your Airstream. If you've seen the numbers on the Airstreams, it means they are part of the WBCCI. You can contact Airstream to get more information about clubs in your area. Good Luck and Happy Camping. Also, I've found that if I call state parks en route and I know we are going to be coming in after hours, they usually send a park host in the morning to collect fees. I feel much safer at State Parks.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I haven't stayed overnight at a Cracker Barrel, yet. But one think that irks me no end about Cracker Barrels in general, when I try to park my Interstate with toad in one of the four or five RV spaces out back, there are always at least two of the spaces occupied by a compact car or an SUV that's not towing anything. In some cases, I've had to continue on to somewhere else just for lack of someplace to park. I wish the non-RVing patrons would be more considerate of the RVing folks who can't fit in a regular spot with their rigs.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The same thing has happened to us at several different Cracker Barrels. The vast number of inconsiderate stupid people continues to amaze me. We very often find the same stupid people at the RV/Trailer fueling islands at Flying J Truck Plazas. Some dope in his Toyota Corolla is gassing-up at the RV island. I'm usually not one to let my vehicle idle, but I make an exception in this case. I pull as close as possible to the back of the jerk's car and let my Duramax fast idle so that the dope has trouble hearing on his cell phone.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We stop at Cracker Barrel on a routine basis when traveling. It is an almost always situation that single cars are taking up some of the RV spots no mater how many parking places are available. It must because they are at an angle and easy to get in and out of. It is extremely irritating when you are pulling a trailer.